1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Uh. If the Maori conquer a city with an Amphitheater with Great Works of Writing in the slots and the Amphitheater becomes a Marae, where do the Great Works of Writing go?

2. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Warlord

The Diplomatic Victory remains to be seen. We have no idea how efficient that is. Domination is still the most efficient way to play Civ6, especially early game on hard difficulties.

Don't be surprised that if you can still wipe out an entire 8 player map on any difficulty before any World Congress can sanction you into economic hell causing you to disband your army or restart the whole game.

Either way The Maori has both fast/efficient methods to win and slow immersion/role playing ways to win.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Poof?

would be nice if you could at least get a prompt to store one in your palace.

4. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

lol, Kupe will really hate choppers then :)

Kjimmet, TahamiTsunami and Hawke9 like this.
  5. MrRadar

MrRadar King

Yes, bring back different starting techs for all of them! That was such a nice feature to add distinctiveness to civs, and getting rid of them was another sin committed in Civ V.

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

By the way, it clearly says "starts on an ocean tile", so no inland sea, except for on the inland sea maps, where the inland sea has ocean tiles.

WillowBrook, Kjimmet, bbbt and 4 others like this.
  7. Turrdy

Turrdy Prince

Not being able to chop is a very hard drawback which in a way justifies the bonuses they get, imo.
    btw: does "Ressources can not be harvested" include terrain features like forests, jungle, swamps and the such?

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  8. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

No.

9. Eagle Pursuit

No, it only includes bonus resources like stone and rice.

CivLuvah, TahamiTsunami and Hawke9 like this.
  10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Power creep is always an issue, and gets worse the more expansions get added.

That said, for the most part, it looks to me like the dev team took care to balance the Maori's bonuses with offsetting disadvantages, and vice versa.
    • Start in the ocean: get a grab bag of offsetting bonuses to jump start your first city and make it viable (through the Palace buff) no matter where you make landfall.
    • Potentially dependent on ocean travel: embarked units have faster movement and +5 combat so pirates aren't as much of a threat
    • No harvesting resources: boost to forests and rainforests (so you have less incentive to chop them, too)
    • No Great Writers: big Tourism boost after Flight
    It'll take a while to figure out how much of the above is a buff versus a nerf versus neutral (and that may vary from game to game). When you strip away the pluses and minuses, you're left with the following as their pure bonuses, to be compared to the bonuses received by other civs:
    • Two free starting techs (that you would rarely research early, so really this is a mid-game boost, saves you a few turns of science production catching up on this part of the tech tree)
    • +1 Food from fishing boats (the least useful yield as of R&F, but we'll see if this changes in GS; always good for your first city anyway)
    • Culture bomb from fishing boats (this will most often grab sea tiles, possibly even ocean tiles, so situationally useful)
    • Unique building provides extra Culture (always valuable) and Faith (a good currency for a lot of different things), but how much it provides is map dependent
    • Unique unit: this looks god tier, but we haven't seen the production cost yet.
    My initial impression is that the most powerful use of the Maori will be as what we typically associate with Vikings: a fast moving fleet of unstoppable warriors who will storm your shores and capture your cities. The initial wave will fortify to hold off your reinforcements while the second wave follows up to overwhelm you. (EDIT: in particular, the Vikings they most resemble are the Normans, who captured large parts of coastal Europe from the north to the Mediterranean.)

11. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

I can imagine my face when I'll see their settlers arriving on a beach near my capital :lol:

12. Harlequeen

Harlequeen Chieftain

Hide in the corner of the map to prevent a domination victory.

13. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

I noticed the Toa have 40 base strength. They build a special fort. They are legionaries riding varu elephants. And they said Maori wasn't a cultural blob civ!
    Especially with Pa healing, why give them the extra base strength? Did they really need it? Effectively +9 swordsman is lunacy no matter how you slice it. Beating knights outright at oligarchy.

I love the woods and fish boosts. That's really clever. I think the Unique Amphi is way OP though. No way those bonuses shouldn't get halved immediately. +1 prod and +2culture and +2 faith for having a woods +Amphitheatre in the classical era is just crazy.
    Can't wait to see the Chichen/Marae screencaps though. Oh boy!

That said, they seem to have a very neat opening. I'm glad they are willing to experiment!

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Although on the flipside, how many games will they die before settling their first city? Could see them go try to land, only to see a barbarian next door and wipe them out.

oedali and Tiger Genocide like this.
  15. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Only Mesoamerica had writing. The Eastern Woodlands of North America conveyed information through wampum, but that was generally restricted to diplomatic contexts. (Simple painted patterns would ask for peace and friendship, while more complicated patterns would describe alliances and enemies and the familiar relationships between the various parties.) In the Andes, they used patterns of knots. I assume this was also used in diplomatic contexts, but I'm not sure. It was definitely used for messengers. I don't believe either were used for literature. The closest might be a wampum belt that represented a the story of Hiawatha, but a storyteller would still have to know the story through oral tradition.

16. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

They would still exist. No Great Writer points just means the person can't spawn in Maori-land.

Ezumiyr likes this.
  17. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I have to imagine the Toa will get nerfed at some point, possibly before release. It seems so strong that it's going to pop on play testing.

18. Eagle Pursuit

I'm talking about Great Works that have already been generated by a Great Writer.

nzcamel likes this.
  19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

But so far, you cannot have GWoA that aren't placed anywhere. Artifacts are placed as soon as you decide from whom it is and all others are placed on creation. I can't imagine you have GWoW sitting around but not stored in a building somewhere. How would you even access it to place it later when you might have the Apadana or Bolshoi?

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm calling that the Inca will get Irrigation at the beginning and can build their terrace farms from the start.