[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Well, they've done a pretty damn good job at representing the Maori imho. They will be much fun; esp in the classical era.

Also city set looks different, and graphical update for either galley or settler in water.

But honestly, those canals through city centre in ~4000 BC, even before monument is built, seriously?

Yeh they have to change that, it's a small thing but silly.

Gah that is shockingly unimmersive! Have a channel sure; but keep it looking appropriate to the era!

However I don't understand why they can't have great writers? I mean, beyond just trying to balance the civ. Is there any cultural reason the Maori can't have great writers? Beyond the fact they never wrote anything before the arrival of europeans? But if that is the only reason that could apply to most Native Americans too right? But they are able to get great writers? Just a little confused.

Native Americans did have forms of writing before the arrival of the Europeans though, didn't they? I think it's a good balancing act and being honest about Maori strengths and weaknesses.

I don't like that the Marae contains no great work slots, early great writing slots are powerful. Plus late game if you are going for Culture victory those great works of writing in every city is powerful.

Eventually having extra Culture becomes less powerful.

Well, giving them a great writing slot would be extra cruel ;)

I'm about to cry from happiness right now ...

There are so many things to note about the civ, but for now I'll just focus on the soundtrack.
I'm so glad they went with vocal music. In the short clip there were two songs and a haka.

First song, heard in most of the video, is "Me He Manu Rere":

Then they've added the well-known "Ka Mate" haka:

Finally at the end there's a short excerpt from "Pōkarekare Ana"

It'll be interesting to see if or how they incorporate all of these songs/haka into an overall theme.
I ses that Geoff and other composers trying more and more creative by combining songs (and chants!)

Agenda is "Kaitiakitanga," the Maori word for "guardianship". Kupe watches everyone's chops, national park/woods additions and CO2 emissions. Treat the planet well (or at least better than your neighbors) and he will like you.
In other words, I'm going to play as usual and we'll be friends. Nice.

Oh my god I LOVE THIS CIV!

The leader animation is amazing, he's got so much personality, he's gotta be the best one they've made so far!

As a conservationist IRL I actually love not chopping woods and jungles when I play but I can never keep myself from doing it for all the bonuses so having a leader who can't do it is going to be great. I agree with the comparison that they are a bit like Kongo and religion - pick the leader who can't do it and forget it!

Starting in water is super unique, I wasn't expecting that. With the science and culture boost and their reliance on terrain I'm already imagining the mini game of questing for the perfect starting city which seems super thematic and fun.

Lack of great writers is interesting. They're usually very necessary for a tourism win. Does this mean tourism is getting reworked (hopefully) or maybe the idea is all those unimproved forests will turn into good national parks (which hopefully are also getting reworked). I didn't see anything suggesting they'd have the Brazil quality of appeal from jungles. Or maybe you're just not supposed to win cultural with these guys, which is ok too.

Unique fort, meh, at least you don't have to build anything special for it. Same with yet another 'culture bomb' - meh. The rest though I'm super hyped about and can't wait to play as these guys! :)

Not getting Great Writers is a double penalty: not only don't the Maori get them, it means more GWs for other Civs, boosting their Tourism.

Looks like the Maori make up for this in the late game, as post Tourism every tile with a feature gets +2 Tourism. Note this one is for "features", not "passable features".

But honestly, those canals through city centre in ~4000 BC, even before monument is built, seriously?
The oldest known canals were irrigation canals, built in Mesopotamia circa 4000 BC, in what is now Iraqand Iran. The Indus Valley Civilization, Ancient India, (circa 2600 BC) had sophisticated irrigation and storage systems developed, including the reservoirsbuilt at Girnar in 3000 BC.[4] In Egypt, canals date back at least to the time of Pepi I Meryre (reigned 2332–2283 BC), who ordered a canal built to bypass the cataract on the Nile near Aswan.[5] - Wikipedia

Looks like the developers stretched it a tiny bit.

Expectations: Please Firaxis give me Canals. I've never wanted anything so much.

Reality: I take it back, those graphics are horrible and wouldn't look that way. This isn't immersive at all.

Me: Well those canal cities literally are one now.:lol:

Last edited:
Oh my god I LOVE THIS CIV!
As a conservationist IRL I actually love not chopping woods and jungles when I play but I can never keep myself from doing it for all the bonuses so having a leader who can't do it is going to be great.

They can chop forests and rainforests. They just can't harvest stone, copper, cows, crab, fish, wheat, rice.

This civ isn't as OP as everyone says it is. I can see many games going wrong by traveling/settling in the wrong direction. Especially on higher difficulty levels it has already been mentioned about the starting settlers the AI get. With loyalty as it is (and honestly, I'm starting to see this as a failed feature in Rise and Fall), this civ could be loyalty crushed from the get go meaning game over as your capital flips.

Finding that initial capital location could take some serious time.

I think they'll definitely be my first new civ to play.

Me too. Even though I haven't seen the other civs yet. This is the strongest contender for first civ to play in GS

More Civs designed like this please.

Yes please, I am glad they went with strong bonuses, but also strong disadvantages as well.

Top Bottom