1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. brandonnj84

brandonnj84 Chieftain

I assume you can still trade for Great Writing works. Seems like Cultural victory has the most synergy?

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Basically, the Environmentalist agenda all over again.

TahamiTsunami and Siptah like this.
  3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Well, they've done a pretty damn good job at representing the Maori imho. They will be much fun; esp in the classical era.

Gah that is shockingly unimmersive! Have a channel sure; but keep it looking appropriate to the era!

Native Americans did have forms of writing before the arrival of the Europeans though, didn't they? I think it's a good balancing act and being honest about Maori strengths and weaknesses.

Well, giving them a great writing slot would be extra cruel ;)

Hawke9 and TahamiTsunami like this.
  4. gorlod

gorlod Chieftain

Also oasis, hills and floodplains.

Mountains, volcanoes and ice.

5. Gabriel Sergio

Gabriel Sergio Warlord

I ses that Geoff and other composers trying more and more creative by combining songs (and chants!)

CivLuvah and TahamiTsunami like this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You have no where to put them (except palace and certain wonders).

7. rambow13

rambow13 Chieftain

First thing I thought after watching the video... "Wow they look really fun, can't wait to try them out."

Second thought almost instantly... "They have to be buffing Norway.... right?"

oedali, Elhoim, Hawke9 and 2 others like this.
  8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

In other words, I'm going to play as usual and we'll be friends. Nice.

CivLuvah, Tchuli, tedhebert and 4 others like this.
  9. Icicle

Icicle Prince

Oh my god I LOVE THIS CIV!

The leader animation is amazing, he's got so much personality, he's gotta be the best one they've made so far!

As a conservationist IRL I actually love not chopping woods and jungles when I play but I can never keep myself from doing it for all the bonuses so having a leader who can't do it is going to be great. I agree with the comparison that they are a bit like Kongo and religion - pick the leader who can't do it and forget it!

Starting in water is super unique, I wasn't expecting that. With the science and culture boost and their reliance on terrain I'm already imagining the mini game of questing for the perfect starting city which seems super thematic and fun.

Lack of great writers is interesting. They're usually very necessary for a tourism win. Does this mean tourism is getting reworked (hopefully) or maybe the idea is all those unimproved forests will turn into good national parks (which hopefully are also getting reworked). I didn't see anything suggesting they'd have the Brazil quality of appeal from jungles. Or maybe you're just not supposed to win cultural with these guys, which is ok too.

Unique fort, meh, at least you don't have to build anything special for it. Same with yet another 'culture bomb' - meh. The rest though I'm super hyped about and can't wait to play as these guys! :)

10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Not getting Great Writers is a double penalty: not only don't the Maori get them, it means more GWs for other Civs, boosting their Tourism.

Looks like the Maori make up for this in the late game, as post Tourism every tile with a feature gets +2 Tourism. Note this one is for "features", not "passable features".

11. Potworny

Potworny Chieftain

Alright. I must admit, no other first look made me grin like an idiot before I saw this one.

CivLuvah, Morningcalm, Hawke9 and 2 others like this.
  12. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy Lord of the Village of Idiots

The oldest known canals were irrigation canals, built in Mesopotamia circa 4000 BC, in what is now Iraqand Iran. The Indus Valley Civilization, Ancient India, (circa 2600 BC) had sophisticated irrigation and storage systems developed, including the reservoirsbuilt at Girnar in 3000 BC.[4] In Egypt, canals date back at least to the time of Pepi I Meryre (reigned 2332–2283 BC), who ordered a canal built to bypass the cataract on the Nile near Aswan.[5] - Wikipedia

Looks like the developers stretched it a tiny bit.

CivLuvah and TahamiTsunami like this.
  13. Civbra

Civbra Warlord

Nice touch that haka dance in the end...well done!

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Expectations: Please Firaxis give me Canals. I've never wanted anything so much.

Reality: I take it back, those graphics are horrible and wouldn't look that way. This isn't immersive at all.

Me: Well those canal cities literally are one now.:lol:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Stilgar08, CivLuvah, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  15. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

They can chop forests and rainforests. They just can't harvest stone, copper, cows, crab, fish, wheat, rice.

16. Redkoolaid83

Redkoolaid83 Chieftain

More places to build the unannounced sea district/improvement and water turbines is fine with me

17. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I know some people Kupe won't be fond of :D

TahamiTsunami, Kjimmet and nzcamel like this.
  18. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Maori leader animation reminds me of Kia Hora Te Marino song by Christopher Tin.

CivLuvah, TahamiTsunami and bite like this.
  19. DeepKing

DeepKing Warlord

I like the agenda, gonna really make things dicey early on when we're all chopping away for production and the Maori storm our shores with their beefcake warriors.

20. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

This civ isn't as OP as everyone says it is. I can see many games going wrong by traveling/settling in the wrong direction. Especially on higher difficulty levels it has already been mentioned about the starting settlers the AI get. With loyalty as it is (and honestly, I'm starting to see this as a failed feature in Rise and Fall), this civ could be loyalty crushed from the get go meaning game over as your capital flips.

Finding that initial capital location could take some serious time.

Me too. Even though I haven't seen the other civs yet. This is the strongest contender for first civ to play in GS

Yes please, I am glad they went with strong bonuses, but also strong disadvantages as well.