[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Someone here mentioned something very interesting that hasn't been discussed any further:
- Maori cannot harvest resources (known)
- Maori can chop woods (known)
But placing a district does not automatically harvest the feature beneath it!

Will the Maori be able to place districts over stone or sheep?

Someone here mentioned something very interesting that hasn't been discussed any further:
- Maori cannot harvest resources (known)
- Maori can chop woods (known)
But placing a district does not automatically harvest the feature beneath it!

Will the Maori be able to place districts over stone or sheep?

There's a question for the livestream.

We have to see how they code the sea start. If they are plopped into the middle of oceans, that's one thing. If they generally start near the coast, that is another. Kupe's ability IMO balances out at least 5 turns of swimming to land; I mean you get some yields right away and you get the free pop and builder plus extra embarked movement for easy coastal exploring by any unit. The Civ ability+UB- bonkers early yields- more than justifies not harvesting resources which i believe we already had the ed beach message saying they can still chop features if needed. I think they meant the builders lose the harvest resource action. The UU, if it's a sword replacement, is just OP bananas. Which is why I'm inclined to believe it either is a special unit or its not the final stats. If it keeps these stats it will literally be the premier unit into the medieval. Matthias is gonna need to levy the land lubber alliance to repel the Toa, who can beat Black Army units under oligarchy.
On normal speed, it might compensate for at least 5 turns. On slower speeds, it will be significantly better. We should also consider that they have 4 movement points for those units while embarked, so I don't think it will take that many turns to find a nice spot. Once they settle, they will already be at size 2, with a Builder, at least 2 researched techs, and a decent amount of science and culture generated, in a city which permanently has +1 housing and +1 amenity, at a location which might be better than average since they had more time to scout. And then there's the matter of the improved yields, which can be taken full advantage off without having to expend builder charges, and the multiple culture bombs which will get you free tiles.

So, you probably won't settle in the first few turns, but once you do, I think you will still have a head start.

While I generally love the design of the Maori's abilities, one thing which is a bit odd, is how different their abilities are depending on game speed. I have pointed out how great I think they are at slow speeds. The things you get for free when you settle would have taken dozens of turns on Epic or Marathon, and so the delay in settling is not much of a negative. The reverse would be true at quick game speeds, though. A 5 turn delay in setttling there gives your competitors much more time to develop before you get started.

On normal speed, it might compensate for at least 5 turns. On slower speeds, it will be significantly better. We should also consider that they have 4 movement points for those units while embarked, so I don't think it will take that many turns to find a nice spot. Once they settle, they will already be at size 2, with a Builder, at least 2 researched techs, and a decent amount of science and culture generated, in a city which permanently has +1 housing and +1 amenity, at a location which might be better than average since they had more time to scout. And then there's the matter of the improved yields, which can be taken full advantage off without having to expend builder charges, and the multiple culture bombs which will get you free tiles.

So, you probably won't settle in the first few turns, but once you do, I think you will still have a head start.

While I generally love the design of the Maori's abilities, one thing which is a bit odd, is how different their abilities are depending on game speed. I have pointed out how great I think they are at slow speeds. The things you get for free when you settle would have taken dozens of turns on Epic or Marathon, and so the delay in settling is not much of a negative. The reverse would be true at quick game speeds, though. A 5 turn delay in setttling there gives your competitors much more time to develop before you get started.

Yeah, they're definitely going to do better on slower speeds, where the extra turns matter less. Even on Normal, I could see myself waiting almost 10 turns to want to settle. If you don't find a city-state, they'd actually get better culture than when they do settle. Although given that you don't know where you're settling, having to choose AH or Mining first you might waste a couple turns if you start on AH and then end up in a mining-rich location instead. Definitely going to have some interesting strategies for how to play them (not counting reloading the initial save, which I'm sure will be a favorite play of Maori players in solo/offline games).

*Also, to add: How will AI Maori play at higher difficulty levels? If they start with multiple settlers, will they be programmed to send them all the same direction, or might they end up with their first city in New Zealand and their second city in South America?

Just noticed the toa don't appear to have tattoos.....whyyyy? The Maori warrior in Civ V had tattoos! :(

"The Marae provides Culture and Faith to all tiles in the city with a passable feature."
I wonder if we do get tunnels this means culture and faith will be added to a mountain tile once a tunnel is built?
Sorry if already discussed- not caught up yet on thread.

Just noticed the toa don't appear to have tattoos.....whyyyy? The Maori warrior in Civ V had tattoos! :(

Maybe they're still working on getting that on to the models correctly; just as the first images of Kupe were missing it.

Maybe they're still working on getting that on to the models correctly; just as the first images of Kupe were missing it.
I shall hold onto your words with high hopes, sir! The lack of toa tattoos is a travesty, truly!

I shall hold onto your words with high hopes, sir! The lack of toa tattoos is a travesty, truly!

Hopefully it can be mentioned during the livestream just in case so it can be added while there's still time. I know I regret not mentioning the color of Shaka's leopard skin as trivial as that sounds.

There's no reason to be worried about the settler being captured by barbarians, because barbarians can't enter ocean until later and your units have 4 moves on water so it shouldn't be a problem to land them both on the same land tile starting from an ocean tile.

Also Barbarians will not capture your first settler

In addition to the art, animations, and music for the Maori, can I just say that I loved how embarked settlers are helming an outrigger boat? That was a really nice touch.

After re-watching the first look I paid close attention to the mini map when they first showed the Settler in the ocean. It looks like it traveled down from the northern ice caps.

We are having Maori versus Rome debates now...?

Just look to Augustus' Germanic legions.

Well the Toa and the Legion are bound to be compared - same in game era; same unique ability to build a defensive structure; both powerful.

Last edited:

There is also the matter of scale. It would probably be difficult to tell if tattoos were present at Civ

Top Bottom