[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

If you hate sweet potatoes, I have a recipe that will make you LOVE them :)

Just so long as Kupe also says "You're welcome." :p
Funny side note ...

There's no straightforward way of translating "you're welcome" into Māori. Normally when someone thanks us we just say something like "kei te pai" (all good) or even "āe, āe" (yeah, yeah) more casually. So translators working on the Māori dub for the film Moana had to get creative with Māui's song. In the end they came up with the phrase "mihi mai rā", which would actually be an absurdly conceited response to someone thanking you. It's kinda like:

Person A: "Thank you"
Person B: "Yes, thank me!"​

It's funny when Māui says it, but I hope Kupe doesn't end up copying him. And for reference, here's the Māori version of the song "You're Welcome (Mihi Mai Ra)".

USAmerican asking: Is there a rough definition of who a 'Kiwi' is? I'm sure it's something I could look up on the internet but I find the answers I get here are much more informative and interesting.
A kiwi is a type of bird native to New Zealand...

The kiwi fruit was named after the bird...

Which are grown on kiwi trees...

Kiwi people got their name since WW1 when they started calling their soldiers "kiwis"...

Now all kiwi people are known by that name...

Does it involve a garbage can? :p Honestly I hate any orange vegetable: sweet potatoes, yams, butternut squash, pumpkin, carrots...They all taste the same and they all taste gross. :p (I can...tolerate carrots.) I don't like oranges, either. I do love saffron...

In the end they came up with the phrase "mihi mai rā", which would actually be an absurdly conceited response to someone thanking you. It's kinda like:

Person A: "Thank you"
Person B: "Yes, thank me!"
It's funny when Māui says it, but I hope Kupe doesn't end up copying him
Yes, perfect for Maui, less so for Kupe. But the devs have been rather...generous with some of the translations, so there's still hope. :p I mean, CdM says she wants to discover all your secrets and the translators just say, "I look forward to getting to know you better." :p

Does it involve a garbage can? :p Honestly I hate any orange vegetable: sweet potatoes, yams, butternut squash, pumpkin, carrots...They all taste the same and they all taste gross. :p (I can...tolerate carrots.) I don't like oranges, either. I do love saffron...

Everyone's different. I don't like the taste of bananas, for example.

Here's a video on the term "kiwi" (a Kiwi man helps to explain, you will hear his accent)...

He says that the fruit is named after the people, but I think it was named after the bird, since it resembles the little furry round creature.

He says that the fruit is named after the people, but I think it was named after the bird, since it resembles the little furry round creature.

This is correct. Kiwi fruit is not native to New Zealand at all. It originates from China, and was originally known in English as a "Chinese gooseberry". It became a big commercial crop in NZ in the 20th century and was named "kiwi fruit" for the export market in the 60s and 70s, kiwi birds (and people) already being terms associated with the country. It could have been called "melonette"... :p

Sweet potatoes. The delicious Orange ones. I fixed that for you.

I think the kūmara brought by the Polynesian settlers in Aoteroa was quite different from the orange sweet potato that is popular today. It was also a more difficult crop to grow year-round than the (starchy) potato that so revolutionised agriculture for the Māori after European contact, as it did in Europe after it was brought back from the Americas.

I think the kūmara brought by the Polynesian settlers in Aoteroa was quite different from the orange sweet potato that is popular today. It was also a more difficult crop to grow year-round than the (starchy) potato that so revolutionised agriculture for the Māori after European contact, as it did in Europe after it was brought back from the Americas.
You're right. Māori kūmara are typically the red variety (but white on the inside). And the ones that Māori brought over initially were a lot smaller than more modern ones. You can also buy orange sweet potatoes in NZ, but they're less common. It's the opposite here in Australia, where the orange variety is more common. Doesn't worry me in the least, I find them all delicious.

If you want a really colorful character (although in peaceful English terms not pleasant) then you cannot get a better read that Hongi Hika. A very intelligent adaptable chap indeed.

He went to Australia and England, befriended the white man and understood the enemy that came to his shores including learning military techniques - was instrumental in the redesign of the pa to use trench warfare.
He played with human greed to get muskets (here are my slaves, choose some tatoos you want and I'll deliver their tattoo heads to you for money/muskets)
He attacked Maori's not Europeans (not only was this a safer game but gave him great Mana) - More slaves = more potatoes and heads for sale
He used slaves to grow potato's for food and trade (this should indicate the value of this crop on European arrival)
He played the religion game very well (despised religion but recognized the value in befriending missionaries and paying lip service)

On his deathbed be basically said that if redcoats land, fight them with your last breath as it is better to die a warrior than live as a slave.

My favorite thing with sweet potatoes is to roast them with some salt (and maybe garlic) until they become incredibly sweet. I could maybe experiment with aromatics, but I don't feel they need much else.

Easy, turn them into sweet potato fries.

I like sweet potatoes, but I find sweet potato fries to be disappointing compared to white potato fries.

I... huh. Saffron is also a color, so I would say it's not quite orange, so you can stay consistent. You should try black carrots or purple carrots and report back.

I like sweet potatoes, but I find sweet potato fries to be disappointing compared to white potato fries.
Well that's the only way you can get me to eat sweet potatoes and at least all the ones I tried are better than the McDonalds versions.

If you want a really colorful character (although in peaceful English terms not pleasant) then you cannot get a better read that Hongi Hika. A very intelligent adaptable chap indeed.

He went to Australia and England, befriended the white man and understood the enemy that came to his shores including learning military techniques - was instrumental in the redesign of the pa to use trench warfare.
He played with human greed to get muskets (here are my slaves, choose some tatoos you want and I'll deliver their tattoo heads to you for money/muskets)
He attacked Maori's not Europeans (not only was this a safer game but gave him great Mana) - More slaves = more potatoes and heads for sale
He used slaves to grow potato's for food and trade (this should indicate the value of this crop on European arrival)
He played the religion game very well (despised religion but recognized the value in befriending missionaries and paying lip service)

On his deathbed be basically said that if redcoats land, fight them with your last breath as it is better to die a warrior than live as a slave.
I was expecting the Maori to be led by Hongi Hika this time actually. Oh well. I guess Kupe made sense if they wanted the Maori to sub for the Polynesian wayfaring ability.

What do you guys think of the synergy between the Maori and casa de contratacion

I think this wonder would be great for them given their ability to settle little clusters of cities around the map

Ooo I had not thought of that, that could be a good bonus, if you do do the spread out settlement thing

My favorite thing with sweet potatoes is to roast them with some salt (and maybe garlic) until they become incredibly sweet. I could maybe experiment with aromatics, but I don't feel they need much else.

I make a sweet potato mash, add a splash of heavy cream, a sprinkle of tarragon and some finely chopped red onions for some crunch. Goes really well with roasted lamb.

Top Bottom