[MOD] MagisterModmod

Wow, I haven't played MagisterMod in a while, and it's exciting to see all of the updates based on Kael's newest information about the world! One of the things I love about your mod is how thematic the buildings are. Nice to see the added religions and how they will interact within the cities.

I was about to download the latest version (from May 4th), but reading the thread I see that Magister has made several fixes and updates since then. Is there a plan to release a new upload or hotfix with these changes soon? Otherwise, I will probably wait until the next official release.

Is it intentional that if you get Poisons before Animal Handling you can no longer build hunters, and only assassins and scouts?

Someone recently posted in the More Naval AI forum that they were playing with this Modmod and found that the AI was expanding very slowly. I think I found the reason for this problem: The AI cannot handle the 'add to city' ability, it builds enough settlers but doesn't use them to found cities. After I removed that ability, AI expansion increased greatly.

Someone recently posted in the More Naval AI forum that they were playing with this Modmod and found that the AI was expanding very slowly. I think I found the reason for this problem: The AI cannot handle the 'add to city' ability, it builds enough settlers but doesn't use them to found cities. After I removed that ability, AI expansion increased greatly.
Yes, that issue was already discovered an identified. I opted not to remove the ability completely but to add this as a PyRequirement
Code:
def reqAddToCity(pCaster, eSpell=-1):
   if pCaster.isHuman():
       return True
   if gc.getGame().isOption(GameOptionTypes.GAMEOPTION_ONE_CITY_CHALLENGE):
       return True
   iPlayer = pCaster.getOwner()
   pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
   if pPlayer.getUnitClassCount(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_SETTLER')) < 2:
       return False
   if pPlayer.getUnitClassCount(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_SETTLER')) > 7:
       return True
   if pCaster.getUnitType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES'):
       return True
   if pPlayer.hasTrait(gc.getInfoTypeForString('TRAIT_FALLOW')):
       return True
   if pPlayer.hasTrait(gc.getInfoTypeForString('TRAIT_SPRAWLING')):
       pPlot = pCaster.plot()
       if pPlot.isCity():
           pCity = pPlot.getPlotCity()
           if pCity.isSettlement():
               return False
           if pPlayer.getMaxCities() <= pPlayer.getNumCities():
               return True
   return False
This was one of the first changes I made after the last release. There has been plenty of AI expansion in my version since then.

It will be included in the next release.

I am still deciding whether I want to wait for the next MNAI update to include it in my next release or release a minor update before then. It depends how soon the new MNAI comes out and how busy I will be. I will be too busy for any modding today and am not sure of my schedule for the coming weeks yet.

Is it intentional that if you get Poisons before Animal Handling you can no longer build hunters, and only assassins and scouts?
The critical point I did not add was that this is as Kazad, so cannot build Rangers.

I have a repeatable CTD at end of turn, from the logs I guess on the AI building the White Hand. Let me know if you want the save.
PythonDbg.log said:
PY:player 9's alive status set to: 1
PY: DCN - No creativity allowed here, reverting to default name
PY: DCN - Checking for new name by number of cities
PY: DCN - No creativity allowed here, reverting to default name
PY:City Acquired and Kept Event: Garduk
14:21:15 TRACE: Error in projectBuilt event handler <bound method CvEventManager.onProjectBuilt of <BugEventManager.BugEventManager instance at 0x16771C60>>
14:21:15 TRACE: unidentifiable C++ exception
[EDIT] I can prevent the crash by founding the White Hand in Garduk the turn before.
[EDIT 2] But then it crashes the next turn instead.

Last edited:
@MagisterCultuum and others: Did you ever have the game crash while "loading XML" in the loading splash screen? This happened to me once (out of ~30 times), but not with a debug DLL, unfortunately. Still, getting a crash dump would be helpful.
Besides this, I could reproduce the assert, but that doesn't help much, as it happens only after the supposed memory corruption. The crash is probably an access violation directly when the memory corruption happens.

How did that PROMOTION_SUNDERED get there? I think I found a promotion in a trait tags once before, but was sure I'd fixed that long ago. I fixed that and have not noticed such issue again, but guess I should switch tot he assert dll for some more testing to be sure.

---

I'm thinking of giving the new religions some new heroes in the next version.

For the Unblemished I have reassigned Arthendain from the Runes of Kilmorph, since all the lore on his is about him serving Sucellus and the Runes already have both Bambur and the Mithril Golem. I changed his art slightly, just replacing the Runes emblem with the Unblemished emblem. I am thinking about possibly giving him a new piece of equipment, the Plague Flask, that would have the ability to absorb unhealthiness cities caused by events like Blight and Pestilence. If captured by evil or non-Unblemished units, it could also be used to unleash a major pandemic.

For the Brotherhood of Wardens I just added Tristan the Ring, a new hero based on some lore Kael shared with me:
Kael on a Reddit Private Chat said:
Tristan the Ring
Patrian, Age of Magic, Spirit 4
Tristan was the greatest hero of the Brotherhood of Wardens during the 3rd rebellion. He was so instrumental to their cause that the Wardens constructed a ritual to preserve him in case of future need. In the centuries since, Tristan has been called when the Wardens are at their greatest need. Each time Tristan appears exactly as he was when the ritual was first performed. He has no memory of any of his prior manifestations, and doesn’t bear any evidence of injuries from those events. Even deaths during manifestations don’t keep him from being summoned again.

This is because Tristan is actually held suspended in the Isle of Birds. The ritual creates a duplicate manifestation of him each time.

Tristan always appears with living ivory armor with gemellus engraving as well as a palladium torc. He also carries a gemellus ring, called the Dhalia Band. The Dhalia Band maintains the connection with the real Tristan and strengthens the manifestation. In rare cases the manifestation has given the Dhalia Band to another.

If the Dhalia band is given away it remains after the manifestation is gone. Gemellus is a metal with an affinity to the Spirit dominion. It is typically found in small veins and all gemellus from the same vein maintains a bond with the other gemellus from its vein. It is a rose colored metal and preferred for wedding rings. Palladium has an affinity for force dominion and is frequently used in binding circles or circlets to enforce oaths. Summoned manifestations have a limited duration. No one knows anymore that they aren’t summoning the real Tristan, but yes, it would be possible to summon multiples at once or to summon then from different groups at the same time (but it has never happened). Gemellus' etymology comes from Twin; it’s intended to reference the bond between the ore coming from the same vein. I don’t know what the Dhalia Band does to the person that wears it, it would be a sacred symbol of the brotherhood. It would remain with the one who it was given to, never gifted to another, until it was buried with them. It is a connection to Tristan, for whatever that bond might grant them.
Tristan is a Paladin-like hero with access to every Spirit affinity spell. (I am currently using the Ljosalfar Paladin artwork with some minor color adjustments and the Brotherhood of Wardens Owl emblazoned on the shield.) He is not trained and cannot be resurrected but may be summoned by a new "Manifest Tristan the Ring" ritual that can be completed multiple times in Brotherhood of Wardens cities. When summoned by the ritual his duration is set equal to his effective supply of Spirit mana. (The unit's religion alone counts as 3 sources, not including actual any leader/civ bonsus or your true mana supply, so his duration would always be at least 3., This duration can be extended if there are enemies on adjacent tiles on the last turn before his expiration. That effect is handled through a PyPerTurn effect of the Dahlia Band, a piece of equipment with which he starts. The effect also hallows the ground, having the same effect on hell terrain as Angel or Blessed. The promotion grants randomly grants Courage, and when carried by a Brotherhood of Wardens unit without limited Duration it can be used to cast Manifest Tristan the Ring as an xml-only spell. (That version of Tristan would have 1 duration or 2 if you have the summoner trait, and would get summon perks based on the summoner's only promotion.) The code as already written does not allow a unit to take equipment from a limited duration summon, so I cannot easily implement the lore apprioriate giving it away before expiring. Instead he just leaves it behind when he expires or dies.

For the Foxmen was thinking of just having the Slyph Search grant +1 Adventurer point instead of +1 Wanderers, so you may get a heroic adventurer before being able to train ordinary Wanderers. Kael said he never wrote much deep lore for them and that they don't have any truly notable heroes. He recommended adding a special unique promotion that Foxmen units can get, which would randomly move on to a different unit of the religion. At first that sounded too much like Aeron's Chosen, but the idea is starting to grow on me.

For the Laeran Cord I of course have Gaelan. I found the old CIrcle of Gaelan icon in the Orbis mod art, so I'll be using that for the promotion Laeran units can learn from him.

The Cult of the Dragon does not need a new hero as it has 22 species of dragons, plus their respective dragon fanatics and wyvern riders, and the original dragon heroes.

For the Stewards of Inequity I have not decided on a hero yet, but am thinking of maybe Nietz the Bandit Lord.

For the Chainbreakers/Emrys Kael said I might want to consider using Gosea, but I think I'd need to give the Sheaim a new hero if I give her to the religion instead. I'm thinking maybe Averax the Cambion?

For the Occis I have added Danag the Faithful, one of the first vampires was sired by Alexis herself, who went on to found a highly religious Vampire Clan that considers murder a holy sacrament to Aeron. He of course has Vampire, Aeron's Chosen, and Body Affinity. I made it so that only Calabim-owned vampires can Feast in cities, but other civs can be raised to Vampirism by Danag and Feed on other unit.

I am still trying to decide whether to allow the new faiths to become State Religions and make these heroes abandon players without the right State Religion, or to allow players of other state religions have these heroes too.

I'm thinking I may change the summon perks of the Dimensional promotions from Combat promotions to Drill promotions, so they won't duplicate Aggressive Trait or Summoner promotion perks. Dimensional 1-3 could give Drill 1-3, and Dimensional affinity could give Drill 4 which of course would then allow purchasing Blitz.

I'm also thinking of maybe adding a Spell Extension IV promotion, only available to Chainbreaker units, granting Herald's Blessing (much like Kanna's Ring) since canonically Ceridwen's priests are known to have ways of capturing the power of Nantosuelta's Heralds. Or maybe I should make that what Channeling 3 is?

I decided I was not a big fan of the name Insurrectionist, and so changed the Chainbreaker's cleric back to Abolitionist (with the note that they want to abolish not only slavery but all social institutions including family ties). I am thinking now of just removing the unit, leaving the Shaim Emrys as the only Chainbreaker cleric and giving every unit of the Chainbreaker faith the Servile Revolt ability (possibly only available with the Liberty civic). The prereq for that ability would automatically make Slaves of this faith take up arms against their masters.

I'm thinking I may change the summon perks of the Dimensional promotions from Combat promotions to Drill promotions, so they won't duplicate Aggressive Trait or Summoner promotion perks. Dimensional 1-3 could give Drill 1-3, and Dimensional affinity could give Drill 4 which of course would then allow purchasing Blitz.
Do this.
Eliminating the overlap is a good idea.

Played another epic game on Emperor without issues. But, there were 7 Infernal teams, and when they came up with trading/demands etc., they were hard to know who was who. Not sure if u can do anything about it, but even the names of the leaders would help.

I found a problem when Acheron is created. Even receiving the message that the Cult of the Dragon was founded with Acheron's creation no city have it and The Dragon Hoard is missing too. Also, this message of error in the images appears every turn since the creation of the dragon.

Civ4ScreenShot0361.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0362.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0366.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0370.JPG

Another problem is the death of Auric by barbarians units that are around the Letum Frigus almost every time he is summoned by the White Hand ritual.

Civ4ScreenShot0360.JPG

The Tarch Tower lightining effect is not working. Is that intended ?

The Grigori can still found religions. By using an disciple unit to "spread" his respective religion, they can found it (if was not founded yet) in their cities.

Civ4ScreenShot0335.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0333.JPG

There is a problem when a priest use the evangelist ability in a city and fail. The message says that the religion has spread in the city, but in fact it hasn't.

Civ4ScreenShot0347.JPG

Found a repeatable crash when AI founds the White Hand.

Repeatable crash on turn 408 on Epic speed. When I go into World Builder and erase the city that's one turn away from completing the White Hand it doesn't crash and the game continues. Several turns later another crash, so checked and sure enough a different city was one turn off of completing the White Hand. Erased that city and the game continues.

I finished merging my modmod with lfgr's latest update and have begun playtesting. So far things seem to be working fine, but I'll want a couple days to playtest to be sure.

I got rid of all the python code to change the art styles of Dragon Fanatics/Wyverns, instead implementing a separate Dragon Fanatic and Wyvern for each species of Dragon. The original Dragon Fanatics/Wyverns (which require the Cult of the Dragon religion in the city but not a Wyrmhold) may now upgrade to the specific types. A dragon's Roar also upgrades nearby Fanatics/Wyvern Riders to their specific type. I may decide to tweak the code more so that the rebellious/loyal effects are not just based on having any dragon but on the type of dragon. Why should Abashi make Fanatic of Eurabatres any more loyal?

I am still not sure whether I want to try to implement the new cults as full religions that can be adopted as state religions. if I do, I'm going to need some religious champions (Crusader/Paramander equivalents) as well as priests and heroes.

I already changed Arthendain to be an Unblemished hero, starting with a Plague Flask equipment that allows "Contain Pandemic" when held by an Unblemished unit and "Unleash Pandemic" (like the Blight Event but worse) in the hands of evil not Unblemished units.

I was thinking that it might be nice for the Unblemished to have a champion based on the Knights Hospitallers. I've played around a bit in GIMP to make a Papal Spearman with the Unblemished icon, which looks very similar to an Order Crusader still recognizably different. I don't think I'd want to give this religion a champion unless I can come up with some for the other faiths though. If I don't include this new unit, I'm thinking I might end up using the name Hospitaller instead of Faith Healer or Healer to refer to the Unblemished's normal Cleric.

I already gave them a Heal Greater Ability, which can heal units on adjacent tiles and can remove Deathphage as well as Diseased/Plagued/Poisoned. I've considered possibly letting it cure Lycanthropy, and maybe adding more of Kael's canonical diseases so it can cure them too.
Kael on Reddit said:
  1. Deathphage causes them to to raised as a demon when they die. Victims of the Deathphage exhibit no symptoms (it doesn't hurt them while they are alive) except a high resistance to death magic.

2. Gallowcurse slowly kills its victim over several weeks. Most die from it, but those that survive are forever immune to it and actually more vital than they were before contracting the disease.

3. Elven Pox makes the victim magically inert. Keeping them from being able to use magic. It is spread by magical contact, so a mind made attempting to read the mind of a victim would contract the pox and lose the ability to use magic. This has the side effect of making the victim mostly magic immune since the pox will kill all magic that touches them.

4. Curse of Camulos causes berserker rage. It is spread through shared pain. The rage grows as the victim causes pain. The only way to recover is to go a long period of time without causing pain or violence of any sort.

5. Rotting Flesh. Transferred from Rotting Wolves (who seem to have adapted to the disease) and Rotting Trolls (whose regeneration protects them). Highly contagious, and though it isn’t normally lethal it will spread through a village quickly and leave all the people weak and unable to defend themselves from the wolf or troll attack.

6. Brittle Bones. Much as the name suggests it makes the victim frail, often needing splints or to be locked inside specially constructed armor to survive.

I just moved Gaelan Sedracious back down to requiring Arcane Lore instead of Strength of Will and removed his Channeling 3 promotion, but allowed arcane units with his Circle of Gaelan promotion to purchase Channeling 3 without needing Mastery of Magic (although they still require Level 7 and Strength of Will do do so). Gaelan now has a special "Summon Hastur" ability than transforms him into the Burnt Priest (instead of letting him upgrade to a Speaker) if you have The Undertow as your State Religion.

I gave Kuriotate Saperes the Serpentine race, so that they can upgrade to Lamia Mages.

I'm trying out not requiring any Incense/Reagents/Jeteye/Gems for upgrading priests or mages to high priests or archmages, instead making those bonuses reduce the units' price.

I added a "Whim of the Winds" promotion that makes a unit flying and a hero for a time, but them passes on at random to another Foxmen unit. I have not actually tested that yet though.

I made Nietz the Bandit Lord into a Stewards of Inequity hero, but am thinking I may need to remove him because Kael insisted Nietz was not religious at all (and did not reply to my further questioning about whether he might be one of those Stewards who does not believe in any god and does not realize that Mammon views his pursuit of self interest as worship).

I like the art enough I want to use it for something though, even if it is just a Mounted Mercenary with gilded armor and the shield changed to show the Stewards pyramid instead of the Hippus symbol. It could make a good Condottiero, a mercenary captain that would be an appropriate religious champion for the Stewards of Inequity.

I went ahead and made Gosea the Chainbreaker hero and Averax the Cambion the Sheaim hero.

I have not actually removed the Aboltitionist/Insurrectionist unit yet, but did just change the Servile Revolt code to let any Chainbreaker unit use it and to make Chainbreaker slaves automatically rebel. I still need to test this though.

For the Occis I have Danag the Faithful implemented, but I am also considering whether to include these
Bestiary said:
Redcaps-Once a dwarven mercenary company in the Age of Magic, the redcaps were so well known for their brutal nature that the term has been applied to any dwarf that venerates Aeron, the god of murder. Thankfully it is rare for dwarves to succumb to Aeron, but when they do they are usually very dangerous and well equipped

Luidag(unique)-A particularly talented seductress, sometimes called “the Rag” because of her flimsy, revealing clothes. She has killed many men during the throes of passion;some would say there are worse ways to die.

Sir Halewyn(unique)-Sir Halewyn appears in cities at night, always surrounded by fog. He rides a beautiful warhorse and wears silver armor and white clothes. His song is irresistible to young girls, whom he carries off on the back of horse. He takes them to a river bank, undresses them and then cut their heads off. Then he returns to the fog with great fanfare.

I decided to try making Guardian Vines a temporary summon that (Like Beasts of Agares, Pit Beasts, and Einhejar) gains additional duration from combat instead of a permanent summon with a limit of one per caster. I'm thinking I may make the Bloom spells (or at least the most basic Nature affinity version of Bloom) available to units of limited duration.

For the Occis I have Danag the Faithful implemented, but I am also considering whether to include these
Thats very cool. The Khazad and Luchuirp could have redcaps as a unique unit replacing assassin or shadow, regarding the Occis cult. Also, do you have any plans to add other units from the bestiary ? Because there is also the duergar and could be nice to add them to the game as possible Stewards of Inequity units for this race.

Found a repeatable crash when AI founds the White Hand.

Repeatable crash on turn 408 on Epic speed. When I go into World Builder and erase the city that's one turn away from completing the White Hand it doesn't crash and the game continues. Several turns later another crash, so checked and sure enough a different city was one turn off of completing the White Hand. Erased that city and the game continues.
The map you have played this game have the Letum Frigus ? If not, this could be a problem caused by the absence of the unique improvement. The White Hand ritual need the Letum Frigus to complete or the game will crash.

Thats very cool. The Khazad and Luchuirp could have redcaps as a unique unit replacing assassin or shadow, regarding the Occis cult. Also, do you have any plans to add other units from the bestiary ? Because there is also the duergar and could be nice to add them to the game as possible Stewards of Inequity units for this race.
I don't think I want to replace the Dwarven Shadow (a Council of Esus unit) with the Redcap (an Occus unit), nor replace an Assassin with a religious unit that would upgrade to another religions' unit (as the game blocks such cross religion upgrades).

If I were adding the Redcap UU, I'd probably want it replace their Berserkers. Aeron is officially the patron of Berserkers, and I already made Berserkers have the Occis religion type (but not a prereq for having the religion in their city.)

The issue here of course is that the Luchuirp already have the Clockwork Golem as their Berserker UU. I'd have to find a different unitclass for it to replace, preferably a national unit. My first thought was that they could replace the Phalanx, but I already but the Nullstone Golem there. The Luchurip currently have no Beastmasters, so despite having so little in common I guess I could make the Clockwork Golem their Beastmaster UU.

My first through was that the Duergar could just be a Rentier UU, but I'm not sure how their stats should differ.

I just realized that neither Dwarven civilization can currently train either Horse Archers, Rangers, or any UU thereof. I guess I could have the Duergar or Redcaps be UUs for those.

If you miss cast warp bubble (?), and say Guybrush Threpwood defends and captures the unit, you get a permanent warp bubble.

I was just playing around in GIMP/NifScope a bit this evening, coming up with some art for Luidag, Sir Halewyn, a Redcap, and a Duergar (or simply dwarven race version of the Rentier).

How do these NifScope screenshots of the new art look to you?

(I spent way too long trying to get rid of the Succubus wings for Luidag but could not manage to do anything but change the color in ways that looked worse. I was assuming Luidag would be a mortal woman without wings, but since the bestiary entry did not make it clear that she was not a Succubus eventually I decided to just go with a Succubus without the boots and with a white instead of red loincloth.

Sir Halewyn is a Valin Phanuel reskin, with blond hair, a face borrowed from Guybrush Threepwood, the armor of a vanilla civ knight, a whiter horse, and of course the Occis emblem on his shield.

The Redcap is a Khazad Berserker with the helmet colored Red and with blood on the horns, plus the Occis emblem on the skirts, axes, and arm armor.

The Duergar is just the Rentier art with the Dwarf runekeeper model instead of the default runekeeper model.)

Attachments

• SirHalewyn.jpg
    SirHalewyn.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Duergar.jpg
    Duergar.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 165
  • redcap.jpg
    redcap.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 120
  • Luidag.jpg
    Luidag.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 166
My first through was that the Duergar could just be a Rentier UU, but I'm not sure how their stats should differ.
Maybe they could have a similar ability to evangelize to units, but instead to work in all units, it would work only in dwarves, representing the corruption of Mammon to their people. It could converts units to Stewards of Inequity and make some of them change to the player's side that used it. Or could give them the rebelious promotion. The chances of the effect increases if the affected player have low money or GPT. Another one is bribe units that are close to the duergar to go to your control or you can chose and select a unit. Mercenaries would have more chances to change sides.

The issue here of course is that the Luchuirp already have the Clockwork Golem as their Berserker UU. I'd have to find a different unitclass for it to replace, preferably a national unit.
What do you think of creating an ability to all dwarven melee units that have a certain level and follow The Occis religion to turn into redcaps ? That way you don't need to find or change units in the Luchuirp and Khazad civilizations (Although this can be more difficult than choosing and replacing an unit, I think it would be more fitting to the religion, because, if we considerate the Aeron's chosen event, the units would receive Aeron's blessing promotion if they kill and survive for more time, which could be represented by this ability. Also, there is the fact that is rare for dwarves to succumb to Aeron's call, which makes sense to be an ability or spell that turns them into redcaps.

How do these NifScope screenshots of the new art look to you?
You have done a great work with them

(I spent way too long trying to get rid of the Succubus wings for Luidag
I don't understand well the making of units but I remembered that you make some dragons wings invisible because they don't have wings in the lore. Perhaps this could be done with the succubus wings ?
edit: I found this thread that can help with this problem.

Top Bottom