1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Magnus is OP...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Portinou, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Chieftain

This. I don't like "gamey" or cheesy mechanics in the game. Sure I could do those 150 turn science victories like some of the other good players that are hyper efficient, but it is just too boring for me and has no immersive effect. Just doesn't feel right. I certainly would not like it if the AI figured out how to do that stuff.

2. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

As a non-chopper, for the choppers out there, is there an era where you find it is no longer as beneficial and you instead build on those tiles?

3. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

You can reasign governors on the governor screen.

4. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Just nerf the chopping bonus (or chopping in general tbh) because it's way too much atm, otherwise he's fine

PYITE and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I think all they'd really need to do is make it not benefit from policy cards and the like.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Just nerf Magnus' chopping bonus to 50% instead of 100%. That would still be a great bonus but not as OP.

Japper007 likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Nah, it should benefit from policy cards, but
    -overflow should not benefit (ie. if I'm at 79/80 on walls and I chop a forest for 70, then I should have a carry-over of 69 to my next build, not 139 if I were running Limes)
    -It should be a flatter bonus. Early game as I don't have many improved tiles, I find that I actually do want forests for their bonuses, and getting 25 production for a forest is not huge. But when you get to ~100 turns in, then it's a no-brainer to chop for 100 while I might not even have 100 more turns into the game.

Yeah, you lose the math of "3 chops = 1 district", but it really makes no sense how a chop early is half a library, and a chop late is 2.5 libraries. Heck, even if they switched it so that a chop was simply a flat 50 production for a forest chop, that might be a neat way to handle things. Of course you'd very quickly run into a case where it's actually a net negative to use a builder charge to chop a forest, which brings a whole host of other things to think about.

bbbt and SammyKhalifa like this.
  8. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

Chop quick in your new cities for CH + Market and you can immédiat do the trader snowball thing. Keep forest in your 3 core cities for spaceports, and boum, spaceports in 5 turns. For the moon projects, the tier 3 government plaza building allows you to spend builder charges to complete them... which you will buy with all your gold thanks to instant CH. And Pingala’s +30% is just a cherry on the cake. The 125 turn science victory is about to become a random performance...

9. Brutus2

Brutus2 Chieftain

In my experience most cities only have a couple woods and some have none at all but I do like the idea of using them to chop CH and market if possible. Even better than chopping spaceport might be just saving up and buying it instantly as soon as you hit rocketry with Reyna’s contractor ability.

10. Xur

Xur Chieftain

1. He is fun and useful
    2. Everyone has access to him

If anything needs to be done, then buff/change the others.

KAL_MAD likes this.
  11. isau

isau Warlord

I think the ability is fine but it should be Tier 3 or Tier 4 so you can't rush it so quickly.

I disagree about the other advisors not being useful. Particularly the Envoy one. She might even qualify as overpowered depending on how you define it.

Victor tho... yeah he's pretty weak. :)

12. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

.... combine this with limes (build your ancient wall to 1 turn left) and then harvest that deer/stone...
    I find that it takes care of getting the wonders you want quite nicely... and it will easily get you a district and more for your minor cities.
    I only limiting factor is the 5 turn cooldown he needs to get established... sometimes I don't have the patience to wait til he arrives.
    His other abilities are very situational though... I find only the no pop loss on settler production useful early... but the rest are kinda bad. (strategic resource requirement waived only in one city anyway)

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I think he's fine as is. He can't be in multiple cities at once which limits his usefulness. I find myself often building a whole bunch of settlers at once with serfdom or public works, which means I'm chopping a lot at once, which means Magnus can't be in every city that is getting chops. I could wait, but that's hardly ideal, some things need to be done ASAP.

KAL_MAD likes this.
  14. vaejovis

vaejovis Chieftain

As you advance in eras it actually makes it MORE worthwhile to chop than improve (yield increases with techs/policies).
    As far as I can tell, the only times it makes sense to use a builder charge to improve a resource are:
    1. Luxury
    2. Strategic
    3. Eureka (e.g. quarry for masonry, oil for plastics, etc.)

15. spfun

spfun Chieftain

I hate this governer, actually the balance of R&F is just shockingly bad right now.

Dev's don't care or are incredibly incompetent which has been the story of Civ 6 from day 1.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  16. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Well. one thing to keep in mind that a governor being unbalanced doesn't matter too much, since everyone has access to it. That is, assuming the AI makes the same use of it that you can (which is not the case, but in theory could be). But yeah, they took an already overpowered strategy of chopping and decided to make it stronger.

17. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Could you explain to me how overflow works? How is it that nearing completion of ancient walls causes a massive overflow into the next task? Seems a bit gimmicky, although I presume prior Civ entries had this also.

18. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Limes gives +100 percent for building walls, so all your chops going into walls are doubled, even if production later overflows to something different. A clear exploit.

ZubieMaster, bbbt and Morningcalm like this.
  19. Magil

Magil Monarch

In Civ IV you had to do it the opposite way, you could multiply overflow, but you'd need to have a modifier to the build of the second item rather than the first (at least, as I recall). I was actually rather surprised that VI handled it this way. It does seem odd and more exploit-y.

20. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

I always chop forests on hills, never chop forests next to rivers, and occasionally shop flat-land forests not next to a river.

I find that with Magnus, I'm almost always chopping flat-land forests not next to a river.