Manhattan Terrain - May 13, 2010

Balthasar

Wise Man

Do you wish, as I often do, that someone could merge SimCity 3000 and C3C? Well, this was the best I could do. Made from images of fan-made SimCity BAT buildings, a New York map by King Arthur & roads by Vuldacon, and freeways and other inventions (like the barrier-stoplights and streetlight-irrigation) by yours truly.

Truthfully, I've been working on this off and on since I first started modding. It wasn't until King Arthur turned the map 45 degrees that it all came together. Even so, I didn't expect to finish this now, as I'm right in the middle of de-bugging the Steampunk mod. But you can't pick your opportunities....

This is just terrain, not a full mod. You can plug it in (to your Conquests/Scenarios file) & play a regular game with it just as it is (and it's a hoot that way), but it's ultimately made for all of you modders to play with. Even I couldn't help mucking with the scripts and labels text files a little, but I just don't have time to really mod it out completely. King Arthur may use major chunks of it in his Super Scenario, but I hope that's just one of many uses this terrain has.

One thing: in order that the Empire State Building be Immense, I assigned it to "America" as a city graphic. In order that America not build Empire State Buildings all over the map, I disabled their ability to build settlers. That almost worked: at this point, the game still gives them a settler at the beginning of the game, so that problem still exists until someone figures it out.

And does someone know how to quiet volcanoes? I used the graphic slot for Industrial buildings, but for some reason I've got them going off like damn little firecrackers.

Also: the resources file has many more resources than I used. Most of the resources on the map are just so much eye candy. The strategic/luxury resources were assigned at random. I've also mucked with the values of all of the terrains and resources, just for kicks.

So there it is, guys. The first playable Sim/Civ mash-up. A landmark event, of sorts.

The download file for this is >here<.

And now the screenshots:

Last edited:
Excellent! I turned the warriors into marines in the editor, and let them build cities, and this creates an excellent gang warfare sort of game.

:goodjob:
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!
I just wish I could find some way to use it...

This is wicked.

The problem with America starting with a settler can easily be solved. You can also edit the volcanos.

Balthasar For Mayor! :love:

Great attention to detail and lovely touches. You should have showed off the irrigation, craters, mines, airfields etc etc in the screenies as well.

edit: I can't take credit for the roads - they were done by Vuldacon and I simply lightened the colour on them a bit.

Oh and volcanoes could be factory fires or chemical works explosions with a simple change of the scripts file and even changing the eruption animation is possible. If you want to turn them off the place to look is the Disasters Tab from the Scenario Properties menu. I can't remember if you can explicitly turn them off but you can set the Max Eruption Period to a very high number (setting it to 0 might turn it off but I haven't tested it).

Sheer brilliance! :clap: :clap: :clap:

My only very minor critique regards the Manhattan map, which of necessity abstracts placement of roadways, but one that's easy to simulate (and which would be of importance in any Battle For New York, as it's a rare, diagonal route) is that Broadway should be running from the SW corner of Central Park to wherever you deem Union Square to be.

Sorry for the nit-pick, but I can practically find my home on that map!

:goodjob: ,

Oz

Balthasar... That's as real looking as an aerial proto only prettier :goodjob:

To Eliminate Settlers, in the Editor Under General Settings, Default Units, Start Unit 1: ... set None. Under Difficulty Level:, Number of Start Unit Type 1;, Set 0.

In Scenario Properties, under Players, Starting Units, you can set starting Units and the number of them.

Wow. That is a lot of work, but well worth it!!! Perfect!:goodjob::)

Top Bottom