1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Finder Help

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Mesix, Jun 30, 2008.

1. yyeah

yyeah Emperor

:thanx: Denniz i will check this out toomorow, or i should say today a bit later ;).

Edit.
    Its working thanks again :dance:. Now i can find HoF start! :dance:.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Is there a way to search for PH starts, ie, where the settler is on a plains hill (or forested plains hill)?

3. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Combo Types > scroll down to the last 4 choices will be all Settler on PH's options.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Yes, I know you can set it up as a rule when generating maps, but I wondered if it's possible to filter or search for it in Mapfinder itself, from already generated maps. It doesn't look that way. Would be easier when you have hundreds of maps.

5. Chakasulu

Chakasulu Chieftain

Hello all,

I've been trying to run mapfinder in warlords, but it keeps quitting early on me. The most regens I've gotten out of it before it "can't regenerate" is 37 but most often it is less than 10. I've run mapfinder countless times on both flat and cylinder maps in BTS and never had a problem using the same exact rules.

I've searched the forums and everytime it's come up the responders talk about a bug in civ 4 when it comes to regenerating, but no resolution. All those threads are years old so I'm hoping maybe a resolution has been discovered since. The regens definitely stop when another civ is visible, but again that never happened once in my thousands of regens for BTS. There's also been a few times where the regens stop and no other civ is visible. Once in a while I get the "you are defeated" result, but that did on occasion happen with BTS and it's rare enough that I'm not all that worried about it.

Is there anyway to prevent this or is mapfinder just not very useful for Warlords?

6. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Map Finder always stops when an AI's units are visible on a new start. That is a known issue for all three releases of Civ IV (Vanilla, Warlords, and Beyond the Sword).

Be sure you have increased the limit on the number of maps searched and the limit on the number saved. I set these to really high values such as 100,000 and 10,000 respectively; I don't expect these limits to ever be reached.

Map Finder does slow down the longer it runs, but I have not noticed it stopping other than for a visible AI unit.

I have used Map Finder on Warlords prior to the release of Beyond the Sword. I did not have issues with it then, but I have not tried it with the latest HoF module.

7. Chakasulu

Chakasulu Chieftain

I had set it for 1,000 which is exactly what I do for BTS and it I still haven't gotten it to go past about 50 regen before it quits regening even though only 1 or 2 games were saved or sometimes none. often it would quit even without any AI in sight. Never had this problem in BTS though. only in Warlords. Eventually I got a few good saves, but I had to reload and start map finder again a number of times to finlly get about 8 saves that met the minimum requirements of the same rule I had for BTS where it would hit the max limit of regen or saves without me having to do anything.

8. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

Maybe try using a simpler rule;

9. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I know this post is 3 years old, but it helped remind me how to fix the new Buffy .005 to get Mapfinder working again.
    Pressed Alt+Control+O, clicked on the map tab, and updated my save path to be C:\Users\Dan\My Documents\My Games\Civ4_Map_Finder\Saves.

Now it's working again.
    Thanks Shulec!

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  10. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

thx...Dan (?)

11. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

No problemo :hatsoff:

12. madwheel

madwheel Chieftain

What is the key combo to start Map Finder? I try Alt+M like it talks about in all the documentation I can find, but this just brings up the 'reminder' pane for BUFFY. And when I check in settings, that is indeed the hotkey for reminders. I tried disabling reminders and alerts, but no good. I figure map finder got a different key at some point and the documentation was never updated...

Please help!

13. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

14. madwheel

madwheel Chieftain

Thanks, it works! Sure wish I knew how to search individual threads in the forum, if it is possible!

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

:)

Unfortunately it doesn't work nearly as well as one would hope, partly because it ignores a sick amount of words, often making searches overly general, or way too specific.

Attached Files:

16. boogaboo

boogaboo Josef Popper 4ever

Hi people,

I'm thinking of doing some statistics about maps (land tiles, rivers, everything..).
    To do this I was thinking of activating mapfinder for 100 saves for each map type, and copying the resulting table from mapfinder to a spreadsheet.

So.. Is there a way to copy the mapfinder table into a spreadsheet?

Booga.

17. Anysense

Anysense King

You could try copy and paste from a txt file generated by map finder into Excel table. This is going to take a lot of time though doing it manually.
    e.jpg

18. boogaboo

boogaboo Josef Popper 4ever

A loooooot of time, which is why I asked :)

19. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

20. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

For someone with some programming skills this would be pretty straight forward, any volunteers??!!