1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master & 2 rookies

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by MattiK, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Hmm... if you had settled 1 tile north Rome would have been a canal between the sides of the peninsula and you would have exchanged a hard to reach sheep and some coastal tiles and plains hill for stone, wheat and more production in the BFC. Something to remember for this map.

But yes, don't worry about the clams, you won't need the health or food right away and it won't take long to get workboats over there.

2. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

That would have cost turns for exploration before settling the city.

Map was generated by a script. Script can make different kinds of maps too.

3. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Yes and no. This one in particular is actually always gonna create the exact same map, though I think I had the option of randomzing features like forests and jungles in the setup screen, which I didn't do for this game.

4. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Meh, only 1 turn. The benefit outweighs the cost of that one turn in this case I think. coastal tiles and some plains hills vs stone and wheat and grassland river hills! With more forests to chop!

just saying since this thread seems to be made for the purposes of teaching and learning. Thats my opinion, I have a lot of them ;)

5. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Frak! You're right! I've frakked up already! What else am I doing wrong here? Oh yes, gotta take warrior out for a walk. But I recall reading from somewhere about not ever leaving first city without garrison force. Is it pointless guideline or what?

6. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Depends on who you are playing against, what difficulty, etc.

7. Imp. Knoedel

Eh, I don't think settling in place was that bad in this situation, who knows how you could have messed up future city placement had you settled one tile north. At any rate both possibilities are better than taking your first settler for a joyride across the desert as Phylhom is wont to do. :lol:

It depends. If you were playing with Raging Barbarians on Deity surrounded by land on all sides I'd definitely leave my initial warrior in my capital. Also Multiplayer I guess if you are wary of opportunistic human neighbors. However since this is Noble with default settings and only AIs in the vicinity and you have a lot of sea tiles your capital is at no danger for the first ~50 turns whatsoever. That's more than enough time to take a good look around and even come back home again with your initial warrior.

8. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

That guideline sounds outdated, there's no reason to have a city-garrison where no attacks happen, except for Happiness, but with many resources, that point either comes very late or even never.

9. Phylhom

Phylhom King

My first city!

10. Imp. Knoedel

Aaaaaand you founded it right where you started anyway, thus making the trek through the desert a complete waste of time. :lol:

Normally people build a worker first, not a warrior.

11. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

I make a guess here: it takes less turns total to build warrior first and worker second after city has grown to size 2 instead other way around. Or am I mistaken?

12. Imp. Knoedel

I don't know, but it does not matter. What matters is working improved tiles as quickly as possible.

13. Phylhom

Phylhom King

Yes, Imp. Knoedel, I know! My walk through the desert was fruitless!:sad: But I like to explore on the first turns. Most times I find a better place to found my capital city!:)

I intend to explore with my warrior on first turns, so, I set the capital to train another warrior to protect it.:)

14. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

In this turn my warrior found a hut and city borders expanded to big fat cross.

15. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Worker or warrior first depends in my mind. I used to be all-in on the worker first camp... but if there are decent tiles to work that are more than just 3 units (food, shield, commerce) I am find utilizing that natural benefit for a few turns before pumping out workers. Knoedel also thinks I don't have enough workers though too, so take that for what its worth :lol:

In the case of Thebes on this map, the marble and stone on the flood plains Nile means I would go with warriors until I grew to size 3, then pop out some workers. Unless you are going for one of the early wonders which requires stone or marble, of course.

16. Imp. Knoedel

Size 3? Are you insane? Size 2 would be a stretch already but I could at least kinda sorta understand that.

17. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Duh! If I had started with worker, then my city wouldn't be building fishing boat nor would it grow either. By building fishing boat first, my city grows to size 2 (almost) by boat's completion and then it is much faster to build worker second with additional help of the improved fish tile. Is this sorta understandable?

18. Imp. Knoedel

Yes. Which is why I said it is understandable. Also because it's a workboat, not a warrior.

19. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Whose turn is it now?

20. Imp. Knoedel

Phylhom I believe, for quite a whle in fact.