1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Myrror Fantasy Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Drift, Feb 23, 2004.

1. promethean_beta

promethean_beta Chieftain

So, I solved my own problem.
    I thought I'd share, in case any other mac-users find their way to this mod.
    The problem was that the file was an .exe (which stuffit expander can't handle) which I have learned can be rectified with a program like filejuicer which seeks out any goodies hidden away inside the .exe.
    Afterwards you are left with a .rar file (which stuffit expander also cannot handle). However, if you use a program like MacPAR_deLuxe you will be left with the mod, just as was intended.

2. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Good that you found a way! :thumbsup:

3. Imperator One

Imperator One Chieftain

I haven't actually played this mod yet...I do not have Civ 3 available. However, are you selling CD-Roms?

4. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

No. Selling mods in any way is illegal and I'm not interested in making cds and mailing them to people who could just download the mod or find a friend who can download it and make a cd out of it. Sorry.

5. The Lombard

The Lombard Warlord

Seems that them Chaos Mages *really* like to build ships. In my current Sorceror(Monarch) level game as Kali, my enemy the Chaos Mage dragon-dude Sss'ra has built well over 100 war galleys. He bombards the crap out of the cities I captured from him and their defenders, as well as any of my attacking stacks advancing on him. I keep having to send out suicide fleets as a distraction so that he doesn't reduce my attackers to useless stacks of red-liners. With over 100 bombardments every turn, I've never been more glad of the option to turn off battle animations...

6. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Like I mentioned in another thread, I've started working on MoM II again. The work progresses slowly, but at least it's progressing. I am a little daunted by the task ahead, but the will to finish the damn thing is strong.

Like I mentioned some time ago, some of the decisions I had made with Fall of Arcanus unit system didn't really work. Therefore I've come up with a yet another way of mixing the unit system up. This time it should be more solid, but I do wonder whether it's wise to reinvent the wheel once more.

I have serious time constraints as my time is precious so I'm going to stick to the essentials - no time for niceties and endless finetuning. For example, with all the new units that have been released lately, I could replace many of the unit graphics with better ones. However, why should I bother myself with a task like that as the old ones are already familiar and they are perfectly fine as they are. Progress for the sake of progress may even backtrack the big picture.

I'll keep a lid on things until I know for sure I can wrap the thing up. Right now, it's once again "I promise nothing so you won't be disappointed when I can't finish it, but I'll also give it my best shot."

7. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

We can change the gfx ourselves too :)

Good luck, Drift! If you`ll need some help, I`ll ...help you find someone who can help you ;) :goodjob:

8. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Great news Drift. If you need any help (which I know you don't like ;)) just PM me. This and Pentagensis were the first Civ3 mods I truly played to death.

9. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Just a quick heads up on where I'm at with MoM II. I got a lot done during the last week as I was recovering from minor surgery and couldn't really do much else than read books, watch telly or use a computer. I chose the latter as this was pretty much my only chance in the near future (read: this year) to concentrate on the mod.

I figured out a new unit system to replace the old one, added roughly 95% of the new units, reworked the tech tree to accommodate the changes I made and made tons of small modding work that makes up a lot of the whole workload. Right now the mod isn't too far from a first version that is whole enough for a rough playtest.

The new unit system is at the moment as follows:
    1. You choose a mage from five different branches of magic with sorcery being the fifth choice. There are three mages in each branch. At least at the moment the sorcery mages aren't new faces, but old ones who have switched sides. To be exact: Kali, Raven and Lo Pan are the sorcery mages. Each of them had half of their spell books from sorcery in original Master of Magic. Life mage Galen was dropped off to even the sides.
    2. Units that the mage can build normally, are decided by the race the mage is attached to. There are six races: Men, Elves, Lizardmen, Ratmen, Orcs and Beastmen. Each race has roughly 12 units available to it. Mage can acquire more units to build by capturing one or more of the four race resources. The race resources are: Trolls, Dark Elves, Dwarves and Ogres.
    3. Mages can also summon units from their own magic branch. Units can be summoned only at the capital. This is handled with no-cost small wonders that produce units. Summoned units are much stronger than the units that can be built normally, but you won't get many of them.

I like this system especially because it's a lot like the old Master of Magic. It's also a refreshing change from the regular Master of Myrror. I mean to make the Fall of Arcanus a different playing experience - not a carbon copy of its prequel, even though the two mods will clearly be sisters. My only playtest so far went well, but I've got a million things to do with the new unit system.

Development is going to go slower from now on, but like I said, I got a lot done during the last week. The mod could well be done by summer, but don't bet on it. It's the tedious little things that are hardest to mod and there are loads of those waiting their turn.

Thanks for your interest, I need to hit the bed now. I've had trouble keeping my eyelids open for the last several paragraphs - hope it doesn't show too bad. :)

10. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

That sounds promising, Drift. :)

11. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

:goodjob: Seems interesting :D

12. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Sweet. We'll be here! Sounds like a very productive week. :thumbsup:

13. promethean_beta

promethean_beta Chieftain

Hi Drift, thought I'd submit this request early on:
    Should things advance to such a point where you decide to release MoM2 would you please (read: PLEASE) post it in .zip format, as that would make it more readily accesible to the average mac user. It would really be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    promethean_beta

14. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Thanks for the encouragement guys and yes, after this mac-problem and the anti-EXE sentiments expressed at WH discussion thread, I've decided that I'm not going to make an executable archive. RAR is an option as that's more efficient than a ZIP but I might well just go with the ZIP just to make the mod more accessible to Mac users.

15. woodelf

woodelf Bard

How often should we post more encouragement? What about free babysitting from anyone near Finland? :p

16. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

@woodelf

I think the current rate is pretty good. ;)

I've run into some trouble with the small wonders that produce the summoned units.
    1. as they can be built only at the capital, the AI doesn't seem to build them. It has always some wonder construction going on at the capital.
    2. I'm not sure if "replaces all impr. with this flag checked" applies to small wonders. Probably not. In my test game I had forgotten to turn it on so I couldn't test it. Therefore, I'd have to make the small wonders become obsolete or use improvements. Improvements would however require a unique wonder for prerequirement so that there would be just one summoning city. Palace is an option, but like I said, capital is always building wonders.
    3. If I make the small wonders become obsolete, I have to figure out when they should go obsolete. It was easy with race units as they upgraded to each other but the summoned units have several upgrade lines. There would have to be couple of unit summons operating at the same time. For example, "Summon Gnoll" won't go obsolete at "Summon Minotaur", but at "Summon Gnoll Ranger". Also, I don't have room for all those "goes obsolete" icons in tech tree. I might, if I extended the tech tree to 5 techs per branch for each era (it's four right now)
    4. If an improvement has a prereq and the prereq is destroyed/sold after the improvements completion, will the improvement still operate?

It's frustrating trying to bend the Civ3 engine to your will. It's always a mess of workarounds and quick fixes with the inflexible AI always looming in the background. But I have faith, somehow it'll work out. :)

17. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Bend the engine to your will! Small Wonders can only be built at Capitals? Really?

18. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Small wonders should be able to be built in any city with the pre-requisites :confused:

btw Drift good to read you are back ... although on your back is not a good reason :(

Your mod was the one that introduced me to the whole new vistas of worlds opened by peoples creativity (and infused new life into the Civ game) ... in fact my first post may well have been on this thread ... I look forward to what you release in the future :D

Thank you :thumbsup:

19. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

The catch with the small wonders producing the units was that they had palace as the prerequisite. That way I could limit the summoning to one city (the capital, where the mage would logically do his/her summoning). Also, I could've utilized the "replaces all improvements with this flag selected" option so that there could've always been just one summoning small wonder active at a time. There are problems with this approach though, but it could be the best option after all. I'll just have to think it through better.

BTW, I played my test game further and saw a death mage summoned unit. So at least one of the mages had built at least one summoning small wonder. I'll have to take a look at the savegame in multitool and see if others have built them as well. Maybe I can limit the summoning to capitals after all, but it's again one of those systems that favor the human player a lot.

20. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

AFAIU, no it won't.