1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Myrror Fantasy Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Drift, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

I consider all the previous versions of the WH mod good enough to stand alone, so I think of it as playing a finished mod, not testing a beta :goodjob:

So I can test? Sweet! What do I do now? Wait for the linky-thingy?

2. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

@Stormrage

Ok, that's a clear distinction.

Now you'll wait. I don't know how long it'll take for me to go through that list of things to do before beta (I think it's fair to call it an early beta, not alpha after I'm done with the list). I don't have much time these days, mostly in the evenings, but I'll do it bit by bit.

I'd say it'll take a week, but hopefully not more than two.

3. Stormrage

Cool, right about then my gf is going on a buissines trip for a week, so I`ll test the crap out of this! :D

Later, Drift dude!

4. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I'd like to volunteer to betatest this. :)

5. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Excellent, that's three names already.

Now I'm starting to feel the pressure of being able to deliver with the mod. Both in the sense that I can finish it and also that it's good stuff. :)

6. Stormrage

We belive in you :)

One piece of advice (from me to you =:wow::lol:), don`t go overboard with teh units, the more you have, the less time we spend playing with them, due to upgrades. Or we end up with crapmed build ques..

7. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

@Stormrage

Don't worry. I'm a firm believer in streamlined unit systems and extensive upgrade lines. Everything except for few silly exceptions upgrades and all the upgrade lines go all the way to the top portions of the tech tree. This was one of the fundamental differences between the modding styles of myself and embryodead. I happily upgrade a centaur to harpy if I view it necessary, but ED maintained that upgrades should be plausible (i.e. a spear orc can upgrade to sword orc but a minotaur can't upgrade into a treeman). I'm not sure how much of this has been maintained under mrtn's iron fist though.

There is one big exception to this rule of easy upgrades - the summoned units. You can't upgrade them as it just isn't technically possible, but on the other hand, they are so much stronger than regular units that it takes a while before the regular units catch up with even the weakest summons.

Sometimes there could actually be more units than there currently is. Well, at least for the player who would appreciate intricately varied unit system. The poor computer wouldn't utilize it though.

8. Stormrage

Mrtn follows the same rule :)

9. woodelf

woodelf Bard

:woohoo:

This is awesome news. No pressure Drift. Let us help you make some balancing decisions.

10. Imperator One

Imperator One Chieftain

This mod is even better than I hoped! The only problem I have with it is that I do not understand the civilopedia. For example, I instinctively understand what an aqueduct is, and how to use it. However, I do not even know what the equivalent is in this game. You might consider uploading a strategy book. Please...with sugar on top?

11. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Thank you.

The probability of me making a strategy guide are a bit slim, but I could make a quick "what is what" list. Especially as majority of the improvements have Civ3 equals.

Aqueducts are Enchanted Springs
    Hospitals are Sewers
    Courthouses are Gallows
    Police Stations are Courthouses
    Libraries are Wizards' Guilds
    Universitities are Sages' Guilds
    Banks are Traders' Guilds
    Factories are Monoliths
    Factory # 2 is Obelisk

There are more, but I can't remember all off the top of my head.

Actually, the strategy guide / manual thing is a possibility in the long run. It would be nice to have a sort of introduction/reference document to the mod.

12. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Iron Fist? :lol:
    I got ED to mellow on this point, as you might know, most greenskins in the WHM upgrades, i e snotling=>orc and goblin=> orc. But, there's also the fact that WH has so much shorter unit lines, most civs only have two defenders.
    Having everything upgrade to dragons wouldn't fit the warhammer world, though.

It is possible to upgrade them to units you can build, so you could make it so that e g the first summoned unit upgrades to the third attacker, or something like that.

Idea: I don't know how you have it with Regicide in MoM, but one idea I got was to give the king units high defensive bombard. This way they can "protect their cities with their spellcasting". :)

13. Stormrage

Thats a great idea, IMO. :)

14. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

I'm not a fan of merging upgrade chains (even though in this case the summoned units don't form a real upgrade chain). Don't like it and not a single upgrade chain in MoM merges with an another. Also, that wouldn't really be possible as the summoned units and basic units aren't attached to each other. Death mages have all death summons, but the basic units are different with each mage (ratmen, orcs and lizardmen IIRC). At least it would require a very cumbersome

It's a good idea and guess I've toyed with it in the past, but I hate regicide and everything that goes with it. I have a single "Wizard King" unit attached to all civs so that those who want to taint their game experience with regicide ( ;) ) can do so. I also feel that giving the king unit more abilities would require more unique king units and like I said, I don't feel like investing time in enhancing regicide. I can consider adding a simple defensive bombardment though.

15. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Actually, it wouldn't be any harder to do than the upgrade paths in Epic, that circle around the UUs.

16. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Yeah, I thought of that immediately after posting. Well, the technical difficulty isn't the reason I'm against it. I just don't want the summoned units upgraded into regular units. It would ruin immersion and the special feel of those units. :)

17. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Well, if you hadn't claimed it was impossible no one would have said anything. :p

18. woodelf

woodelf Bard

:lol:

Too true.

19. Imperator One

Imperator One Chieftain

That would be great! (Actually, that is what I was hoping for!)

20. Stormrage

Hey, I wanna try out the MoM mod, but the first post is confusing, all those betas `n stuff... Does that mean its unfinished? I sound like one of the noobs on the WH thread :crazyeye: