1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Myrror Fantasy Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Drift, Feb 23, 2004.

1. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I played the hell out of this one so I think Beta means playable and not finished. Are mods ever really finished? ;)

2. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Well, are there any bugs left? If there are no bugs, I consider it finished. New stuff is just new stuff :)

3. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

@Stormrage

I don't think it's too confusing if you read it carefully. ;)

MoM 1.0 is finished. I finished it in June 2004 IIRC. MoM 2.0 has been in beta since early 2005 or something like that and it hasn't been officially released as I reworked my plans and started making a more ambitious expansion. The latest public beta is practically finished though and it's the version I definitely recommend at the moment.

First install MoM 1.0
    Then MoM 2.0 beta 3
    Then latest patch

I've done much of the things I wanted to do before releasing the first closed beta of MoM II, but now I came up with a new idea I want to incorporate. I'm thinking of making Dwarves a full race instead of a strategic one and making Beastmen into a strategic resource. I also contemplated rearranging nature mage units by making their gnolls into a strategic resource and replacing them with new units. I dunno. I may think on it a bit more and leave the decision to later betas.

I don't want to make any promises, but it shouldn't be too long until I can produce the first closed beta version.

4. Stormrage

Thanks Drift! I`ll DL it right away, so I can play it sober today, and drunk tomorrow. I shall compare the experiences and give a full report :crazyeye:

5. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Plus I get confused because I played clearbeard's version of MoM for a while. :confused: ;)

6. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Screenie time. :)

I'm playing life mage Oberic. My neighbour, the death mage Vlad decided to invade me with tons of lizardmen and a surprisingly large amout of death mage summoned units. The Dreadship has just dropped three skeleton horsemen next to Vallis, another has just beaten my Cleric on mountains near Ultigar and there are some Liches and Skeleton Warriors running around.

I fought against him with my Unicorn Knights, Troll units and my own lizardmen. The battle was long as he kept throwing units at me, but as his pace started to slow down, I took three of his closest cities including his capital. Too bad that the sorcery mage Lo Pan declared war on me so I had to make peace as I started getting orc visitors on my north border.

This screenie also displays the terrain graphics, as you can see, nothing too strange or fancy. I'll fix those white specs of snow in the future.

The play balance has been pretty good. Summoned units have worked really well and like Vlad proved, the AI uses them a lot. Also, as you can see from the histograph screenie, the race is really even. I'm in the lead, but Vlad and Rjak (two death mages!) are doing good as well. Lo Pan, Sss'ra and Merlin are in the middle and Mordja and Raven are doing just ok. That's probably because they are my neighbours and I outexpanded them. There were no nature mages in the game which was a pity.

I'll probably get the closed beta going during this week.

Attached Files:

7. Stormrage

It looks great! I really like the terrain -much better than in MoM - I can`t play that as long as I can play other mods cos of the dark gfx (even with the lighter version!). Looking forward to the beta :)

8. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Looks good enough for us Betas to play now Drift. Very nice so far!

9. madviking

madviking north american scum

:drool:
    I ahve been playing MoM for a long time and a fan, good luck man! :)

10. Imperator One

Imperator One Chieftain

I am just wondering --- when is the final version of MoM 2 gonna be released?

11. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Don't hold your breath. :(

I've done absolutely nothing with the mod for the last, dunno, two months? And I seriously doubt that I'll get anything done during summer as I'm doing my master's thesis. Then it's autumn and regular university studies kick in. And all the while my little boy takes increasing amount of my time and energy. He's an adorable little thing, taking his first steps and exploring every square inch of our apartment, but boy does he require watching over. :)

It could well be that the mod will never be finished. I feel my last modding spree was a valiant effort, a last charge of sorts, but I just don't have the time it would take to finish the damn thing. Also, large portion of modding is such tedious business, that I really don't want to fill my spare time with something like that.

Also, the beta spurred so little interest, that there's no 'hungry audience' effect urging me on. Well, it was fun as long as it lasted and maybe I will wrap it up one day, but with the Civ3 mod community slowly fading out, I wonder, where's the point - in making a mod for people to play or in having closure for myself.

12. Imperator One

Imperator One Chieftain

Really, man, you gotta keep your eyes on whats important!

13. Imperator One

Imperator One Chieftain

Read what? I don't see anything to read!!!

14. Webrider

Webrider Prince

is there a comprehensive 1 file latest download of this mod with everything included?

15. d33t

d33t Chieftain

all the files you need are on the first page of this thread...

oh and btw....this mod fuk!n rox!!!!:goodjob:

by far the best mod ive played from these forums....oh and is there a custom map??? like a map of myrror or something like that? that's the only thing i feel that is missing

16. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

There isn't a custom map and I won't be making one. Sorry.

In other news, I'm wrapping the mod up into a final release after a couple of months hiatus from modding. I hope to have it finished during the next couple of weeks. Whether the Fall of Arcanus play mode will be available is still in question. It probably won't be included in the same download with the finished 2.0 but it could be available as a separate download. I don't have much time or energy to create new stuff so mostly I'll be just tying up loose ends and polishing things here and there.

17. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

:thumbsup:
    Yep, don't fix what ain't broken :)

It's also good to hear from you, Drift. How's the fatherhood in general?

18. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Really fun, but it can get a bit tiresome every now and then. You don't get much in the way of free time. During daytime he sleeps roughly 1,5-2 hours during two naps. In the evening he falls a sleep at 8-9 o'clock so that's when we have most free time.

He's just shy of 11 months old now and has just learned to walk on his own. Now he's zooming around our apartment grabbing everything he can get his little hands on. No words yet, but lots of noise. :)

19. Drift

Drift It's a boy!

Oh, and as pinktilapia has made it public that RFRE will be included (as a link) in the new Take Two release, I guess I can also announce that at least at the moment MoM is going to be part of that same release as well. There was no request to keep a lid on the information, but I didn't feel like being the first one to announce it. :) I'd hazard a guess that this release will feature majority of the most popular modpacks for Civ3.

This is also the reason why I've decided to wrap up the mod into a final release. I've got an almost finished 2.0 lying around on my hard drive so it's not too much work to turn it into a finished mod.

20. Stormrage

Great news! Can you give us some more info? I wonder if they contacted mrtn, aaglo or Mr.Do? :hmm: