Math04: Another 100K

nerovats said:
I'd change lahore to colossus
Hmz..... Yep build allready.... :)
BnH said:
some good shield producers.
I figure that the Byz 'aquisitions' will be less productive than the aztec ones.... Or did i get my corruption thing wrong? The incense is indeed nice....

We need as many ancient wonders as possible.

Delhi - Currently building Mausoleum. After some thought, I believe it is in our best interest to switch to Barracks and pump out some military here. Comments?

Bombay - Workers, Settlers. We should probably weed this out in about 30 to 40 turns. I'm thinking a 4 or 5 more workers, then 5 to 7 settlers.

Madras - Currently building Oracle. Possible that Oracle will be built in Washington. In that case, switching to Palace here is probably best.

Bangalore - Currently building Pyramids. Cuzco will most likely get it first, so this is really prebuild for Great Library. I realize it was a mistake to suggests mining the grass here. We need plenty of irrigation to allow for use of all the gold. We may want to cancel the current worker actions to avoid wasting more turns.

Calcutta - Currently building Temple, complete in 8 turns with forest chop. Mausoleum is an option here. We can discuss that and other options after next turnset.

Lahore - Currently building Barracks. Should be Temple, complete in 10 turns with forest chop. Worker on hill should clear forest before building road on iron in order to get it done in time. Lighthouse is an option here. As with Calcutta, we can discuss that after next turnset.

Karachi - Currently building Temple. Should be Barracks, complete in 9 turns with forest chop. Should be obvious after that. (Note: had we built one tile SW, we would get neither the game nor the fish for a long time.)

With our Palace in Madras, I think location of FP is mostly irrelevent. Toss up between Bangalore and Calcutta. Also, Cop's and or Newton's could do just as well in Bangalore as they would in Delhi. Keep in mind that two or even three of our cities will need to go beyond 20K, and that single-city culture victory will not trigger until 30K.

Should we trade for Math now, or wait until Lit comes in? We might get more gold if we wait, and we don't need either Math or HR for at least 8 turns.

Mathias said:
We need as many ancient wonders as possible.
I agree, but usefull ones. and where possible... For some of the wonders like .... Oracle... It has near no use for us but for the 4 cpt. We could build a lib and Barracks and some units instead. Making us stronger in the longrun.
Mathias said:
Delhi - Currently building Mausoleum. After some thought, I believe it is in our best interest to switch to Barracks and pump out some military here. Comments?
Lib! Start a courthouse as a prebuild into a lib! I am not sure how that times vs the research into lit... but a lib is Culture and research, both very important. If it will finish to fast vs the research build a rax there first then a (pre-)build for Lib?!
Mathias said:
Bombay - Workers, Settlers. We should probably weed this out in about 30 to 40 turns. I'm thinking a 4 or 5 more workers, then 5 to 7 settlers.
I think we can leave it there for quite a while... Bangalore and Madras can spare a few tiles for quite a while since they are in OCP. even if bombay is just spinning off workers... They can improve the lands and be joined to the culture monsters later on... I say keep it (longer)
Mathias said:
Madras - Currently building Oracle. Possible that Oracle will be built in Washington. In that case, switching to Palace here is probably best.
Have we seen any Ivory anywhere yet? SoZ would be very helpfull indeed! Oracle is not that effective I think, Also lib? What other wonders do we want but for the Great lib? HG? Yeah! HG is a good one :)
Mathias said:
Bangalore - Currently building Pyramids. Cuzco will most likely get it first, so this is really prebuild for Great Library. I realize it was a mistake to suggests mining the grass here. We need plenty of irrigation to allow for use of all the gold. We may want to cancel the current worker actions to avoid wasting more turns.
We are OK i think. Looking forward into the GA, we would want to irrigate the BGs (if there) and mine normal grass.... IMO if/when we can switch the cow to Bangalore and chop that forrest into bombay (for a settler?) we should be OK.... But irrigate the BGs?! where needed. The irrigated cow itself gifs +3f that is enough to cover a mountain and the hill for still +2f overall.

I would say keep mining... Irrigate 1 more BG?
Mathias said:
Calcutta - Currently building Temple, complete in 8 turns with forest chop. Mausoleum is an option here. We can discuss that and other options after next turnset.
Will we be able to finish it? A lib too maybe? (Yeah, I am lib crazy :D)
Mathias said:
Lahore - Currently building Barracks. Should be Temple, complete in 10 turns with forest chop. Worker on hill should clear forest before building road on iron in order to get it done in time. Lighthouse is an option here. As with Calcutta, we can discuss that after next turnset.
Lighthouse... that a bit away and is a nice addition to our wonder selection I think...
Mathias said:
Karachi - Currently building Temple. Should be Barracks, complete in 9 turns with forest chop. Should be obvious after that. (Note: had we built one tile SW, we would get neither the game nor the fish for a long time.)
Game would then be meant for the fishing town up north.
Maybe it could have been moved from its current possition even 1SW-1S Getting the fish and taking in the area of bombay (should that be abandoned in the future. It might still be an option to leave Karrachi in favour of this.... Rethink that... There will be no border expansion there .... so it would leave the game unused... *grmbl*
Mathias said:
With our Palace in Madras, I think location of FP is mostly irrelevent. Toss up between Bangalore and Calcutta. Also, Cop's and or Newton's could do just as well in Bangalore as they would in Delhi. Keep in mind that two or even three of our cities will need to go beyond 20K, and that single-city culture victory will not trigger until 30K.
It is considered most profitable to stack Colossus with Cope and Newt right? But we can do some "math" on that when we get to it.
Mathias said:
Should we trade for Math now, or wait until Lit comes in? We might get more gold if we wait, and we don't need either Math or HR for at least 8 turns.
We want to keep lit a mono for as long as possible IMO. Yeah we can trade Philo or CoL or something for Math thats very much OK. But not till we "absolutely" need to... IMO.

Library... what was I thinking? Library in Delhi now would finish in 7 turns. In Republic, we should have 7 or 8 turns to Lit. We can leave Delhi on MoM and switch to Library when we get Lit (use big picture, to switch before production is counted)

Without a religious ancient wonder (Oracle, Pyramids, SoZ, ToA) our Golden Age won't come until Sistine Chapel or War Elephants.

Are we wanting our GA in AA? I'd prefer not. The problem is more than likely we're going to get at least one of those religious wonders you listed.

Wasn't able to play last night (had to finish DAR01) so I'll play tonight.

I still prefer irrigating to get at least +5 food in our culture cities to get them in max pop quicker. If it looks like we're going to get our GA I'll start mining. Though I don't believe that'll happen during my turnset. Haven't looked at the game in a couple days.

What is wrong with an AA that comes a little later?

Pyramids => Allready decided we probably not going to get it...
Oracle => Aside from the culture will not do us mucht good (as does sist)
ToA => Cannot build (would grant temples thus culture everywhere right?)
SoZ => Need Ivory... If we have Ivory, then do build it. Love free ACs...

Also I would love to build KT, more free units. + Templars are great for puting in Armies.

I feel we are a bit short on workers (1 per city at the moment?)

Mathias said:
Library... what was I thinking
Wow we agree? LOL

@Methos I agree on growing ASAP. But +5? OK... If we can get all culture biters into size 12 before GA, that would be nice. Would like to try and get everything reversed to be as near to 0food and max shields as possible when at pop 12. In particular when building wonders.

GA in Middle Ages is good. I was just pointing out that it wasn't gonna happen right away, so we can go ahead and irrigate around Bangalore for fast growth.

For comparison, during GA:
1 mined hill + 1 irrigated non-bonus grassland = 4 food, 4 shields
2 mined non-bonus grasslands = 4 food, 4 shields

Bangalore will need 5 irrigated grasses for max production and zero growth at size 12. (working 5 grasslands, 5 hills, and 2 mountains; trading 2 hills for a mined grassland and the third gold mountain will increase commerce by 4 at a loss of 2 shields, which will be desirable at times)

Edited to add:
Since we're probably not going to get either the Pyramids or the Oracle, should we switch those to libraries? Great Library is unlikely to be challenged in Bangalore, and in the long run it may be delayed only 4 or 5 turns if we build library first.

namliaM said:
@Methos I agree on growing ASAP. But +5?

+5 growth is easy to get too. You're already getting +2 from the center tile so three watered grasslands gains the additional three food. The reason I prefer +5 as it allows 4-turn growth up to size 6, than 8-turn growth until 12. Plus this way we're not wasting food either. IMO this is better than mining every tile and growing at the normal 10-turn and 20-turn growth.

Rereading everything and than I'll start playing.

Pre-Turn: Cancel two workers near Bangalore, and start them watering instead. Cancel worker near Madras too. Lahore switches to Temple. Karachi switches to Barracks. Descend into anarchy.

1225 BC
IT: Become a Republic

1200 BC
IT: Barbarian horseman appears to the west. Inca’s have Philosophy.

1175 BC: Since the Inca’s have Philosophy now I figure we might as well get some money for it. Set slider to 2/6/2 (still in 5).
China: We get 47 gold; we give Philosophy
America: We get Horseback Riding and 1 gold; we give Philosophy
Aztecs: We get 39 gold; we give Philosophy
IT: Bombay Worker>Worker. I set a citizen as a taxman to keep us at +5 food and 5 spt. Both China and Incas know Polytheism.

1150 BC: Warrior takes out barb horse.
IT: America knows Map Making.

1125 BC: Interesting, I expected I’d be able to trade CoL around but after the China deal its worth dropped considerably. MM’ed Delhi so we don’t waste shields on library. Delhi is now at +4 food with 9 spt.
China: We get Mathematics and 54 gold; we give Code of Laws
IT: Bombay Worker>Worker

1100 BC

1075 BC: Set slider at 5/4/1
IT: Bombay Worker>Worker. Calcutta Temple>Barracks (pre-build)

1050 BC: Set slider at 6/3/1
IT: Literature>Currency. Switch Delhi to Library. Delhi Library>Courthouse (pre-build).

1025 BC
IT: Bombay Worker>Worker. Karachi Barracks>Archer.

1000 BC

Notes:
-The new worker in Bombay has not moved. Figured I’d leave him for the next player.
-Calcutta’s expansion gained us horses. Might want to connect them pretty soon.
-Delhi will grow in two but needs to be MM’ed. This turn it is at +4 food but next it only needs 3. I suggest move the citizen on the unworked grassland to the mined hill.
-Bombay is still setup for Workers, but can be switched. If you stay with a worker factory one citizen needs to be a taxman for no waste.
-Madras is similar to Delhi. Next turn switch the citizen from the bg to the roaded lux.
-After growth Karachi needs to adjust citizens.
-The Bombay/Bangalore/Madras area has plenty of water (I may have overdone it) so I’d suggest mining any other tiles.
-Might want to check on trade options.

Here's the save.

Mathias
BigNHuge
Methos- Just Played
nerovats- Up
namliaM- On Deck

It looks like we could switch to a couple of settlers for now. Could do with some military.
Will try and settle towards other civs, can fill in gaps later on.
Might be able to play tonight, can play for sure tomorrow.

I think it would be nice to claim the cow E of Lahore, could be another worker factory there.

Bombay is currently a worker factory, but could we build a settler there?

After 1 or 2 archers for barb hunting Karrachi can spare some pop for settlers. But I would prefer not doing settlers in our culture towns. Perhaps only in Delhi as it will not be producing any culture (Wonders) for some time.

Do all culture towns now have libs? Not couting Lahore that is?! If not would it be smart to switch them from Pyramids/Oracle/Barracks to libs allround? (agreeing with mathias, again) Maybe even rush them a little?
Calcutta is only 1spt I think or not? Would be verry nice (for the culture) to finish any culture buildings (temples and Libs) before 750. To get the doubling effect to last more turns. After 750 the years per turn start dropping big time and you double the culture after 1000 years.

For rushing the lib, at 79 shields (assuming 1 shield in the bin) and 4 gold per shield thats 316 per lib for rushing it. Thats our entire treasury at the moment. But we can rush the libs in Calcutta and Lahore with a few chops...

Side note... We are (extreemly) low on military. We do need some, or the other AI will few us as weak and come storming thru.... Do we want to build units as well with our culture cities?

Will we want colloseums for their Culture?
Do we want KT for the free units (preventative vs the AI)?
KT is only 300 shields, with a prebuild in Madras we could possibly get it a couple of turns after researching Chivalry. Tho only 2cpt

KT... "only 2cpt"

If we build it by 250 AD, it will have over 1000 culture by 1950. That's enough to affect our victory date by 4 turns. Crusaders are nice, too, but we won't be researching Chivalry ourselves. Beeline Astronomy, Music Theory, Free Artistry.

We have only one luxury, and 0% tax, so markets are not high priority. I would have gone with construction before currency. Colosseums are a must.

I don't have time to look at save. Is that a Persian city?

I would have gone with construction before currency.

I didn't go Construction as somebody already knows it. I didn't trade for it as my turnset was already up. I figured the next player could do the trading. BTW, Polytheism and Map Making are also already known.

Originally it was mentioned to build 4 or 5 workers, so that is what I did. I didn't switch Bangalore to GLib yet as we can always wait and see if we actually get it (doubt it, but might as well try).

Calcutta's barracks were a pre-build (library) that I forgot to change over. My bad.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that Construction was known in my turn log.

We MUST clear the barb camp ASAP. We will trade our way into the Middle Ages in 5 turns, and if that camp is still there, we will see 8 horsemen. Switch Delhi to archer, moving citizen from grass to forest to complete archer this turn, then back to grass for growth next turn. Let the horse move first before moving warrior near Bangalore. Warrior in Bombay is available. I suggest attacking from the mountain north of the camp. Also beware of possible barbarians near Lahore.

Worker in Bombay needs to go to Lahore's BG and build a road first so that the two workers roading hills on either side can group to mine the iron hill or each clear a forest to hurry a library in Lahore.

pre-trun
get math and horseback from byzantines for MM(they are backward, so I give them good worth)
get construction and poly from inca for republic
sell math to aztecs for 41 gold
could sell to america for 29 but hope they make some more money first
change delhi to colosseum, calcutta to lib
do some MM, forgot to let tax man work, so we get 1 more worker
lahore temple->lib
up lux, currency still in 3
nothing
nothing
get currency go for mono at max
karagi archer->archer
sell republic to america for 64
nothing
bombay settler->settler
delhi colosseum->GL
nothing
forgot to check bombay riots.

settler si where I think it should be
we still have monopoly on literature and currency
the aztecs have 50 gold we could sell them something (we're loosing money fast, but we need cathedrals and uni's fast)
Delhi could be switched t a settler?

@mathias you posted after I started playing, didn't take out the barb camp. Wanted to let the culture cities build culture. Camp is on hill so will need several archers. Why will we see 8 horsemen?

I expected we'd wait until we had currency to trade, and not have to give republic.

As soon as two civs enter a new era (i.e. when inca get currency) all barb camps will have the 'massive barbarian uprising'. Camp is on mountain, but with only one defender, an archer backed by a warrior should be enough.

I was thinking city should be on the hill, or one SW of the hill.

Irrigations are for faster growth, not so we can put other citizens on low-food tiles. More food = more citizens = more production. All cities should be at least +3 fpt, preferably +4 or +5.

didn't know about the uprising. I traded republic because that is not a required tech to advance and we needed construction for delhi, and get into the next eara firsth

Nero: Every time 2 civs advance age wize there are uprizings. But you hardly notice them later on, becuase barb camps only excist in open land.

Pre-turn First tings first... Wake the Warrior-Archer pair=> NW
Change Delhi to market, need the support I think
Create Taxman in Bombay
Madras doesnt have a lib, and I am not about to waste shields....
Hey workers need moving... OK!
Uhm think I agree with Mathias, settler one more SE

Put Sci to 50% for Mono in 9 and +1gpt

IT Barb horse leaves camp to N mountain

1@730BC Wa/Archer NE, Found Kolhapur> Barracks (chop underway!).
MM Calcutta to 2f/4(net)shield for growth in 1. Short rush a barracks there for 36g.
Now lib in 10, @4spt -20 for 2 chops... underway
Short rush a barracks for 80g in Lahore, now in 14 and chop underway

Since Bombay cannot make the settler this turn and only needs 1 more food to grow I give the cow to Banglore. For 3 extra food in Banglore.

IT Bombay Settler> Settler (MM for 5/5)
Byzantines start MoM

2@710BC Perfect kill of horseman on Mountain
Change Karachi to Horseman.

IT: Nada

3@690 Take Barb Camp lose 1 hp.
MM a lot to get Delhi to 5fpt, keep Bombay at 5fpt and keep Bangalore at 5fpt

IT: Some barb galleys N of Lahore, but they dissapear into the fog again.
Palace upgrade

4@670 Found Jaipur> Galley

IT 4 chops finish 1 to lahore 1 to Calcutta 1 to Bombay 1 to Kolhapur
2 BGs show, 1 near bombay for madras (which is nice..) 1 near Lahore
1 Grass and 1 Plain
Chit was so busy looking around I did not check for riots. Bombay goes...
Karachi Horseman> Settler

5@650 Sci up to 70 for Mono in 2 @ -6gpt

IT Delhi Market> Granary
Calcutta Lib> Market

6@630 Madras is about to riot, Up lux to 20, sci @70 for mono in 1 @-13gpt
MM Calcuta to 4f to grow in 2

IT Mono> hmmmmm (Oh... Beeline Free Artistry right?) Theology in 11
Bombay Settler> Settler
Chinese start ToA

7@610 MM Madras to BG on river. Now lux can go down.
Still have Monopoly on Currency and Literature. Sell Construction to Byzantines for 81g
Inca have Monarchy

IT Inca start HG
Guzco finish Pyramids

8@590 Change Banga to Great lib
Calcutta is about to riot, create a taxman for now
No barbs up north at this time.

IT Chinese start ToA again.
Aztecs start ToA
Americans start ToA
Oracle is finished in Washington DC

9@570 Change Madras to great lib (In 22)
Change Bangalore to MoM (In 7)

IT Delhi Granary> Cathedral
Karachi Settler> Horseman
Persians start SoZ

10@550 MM Calcutta, The road has finished. Less shields but more growth and 6 people working again.
Rush a settler in Calcutta. This helps believe it or not... We can the again work the forest.
Next build in Calcutta should/might be Cathedral.

We can switch the Lib in Lahore for a Cathedral. Both in 1 both 3 cpt, Cathedral will help with the happyness situation for the moment. Lahore should start on a Aqueduct next I think.

We can still switch MoM and Great Lib around if we want. MoM in 1 turn in Madras and Great lib in 30+ in Bangalore.

I think we can "lean back" a bit on our tech lead and make some cash to rush both the "lagging" builders Lahore and Calcutta up to speed.

Also I made a little kind of dotmap. 2 settlers are heading W at the moment to settle there.
Next settlers should go to the white crosshears (on the Grapes). The + is maybe better, as grapes give +1 food which will be wasted in the crosshears. A second (lesser I think) alternative is the O, but its all up for discussion.
Next the Blue Crosshears and the Fish town N of Karachi. By then we could have a good number of Horseman, maybe start a small war on Aztecs for their Northern lands (around the red crosshears).
Or start a lux war with Byzantines for the Insence. With insence and Wines that would be 4 luxes.

Inca have still Monopoly on Monarchy and are building the Gardens

We still have monopoly in Currency and Lit. I think we should keep Lit a monopoly for as long as possible and/or Great lib < 3 turns or so.
Hoping we can then trade Lit for engineering or so....
The only cash around at the moment is with AI techleader Inca.

Culture situation Delhi is at 592 currently predicting (25k) culture win in 2501@14cpt But Colossus, Collosseum and Lib not yet doubled.
Madras is at 4cpt building the Great Lib. No lib, no cathedral... Nada...
Bangalore Building MoM at 2cpt

Those are the top cities, Our civ is currently at 27cpt, 3873AD win date

Tech plans: Avoid Education for the moment, maybe we can get Monarchy from the Great lib when it finishes

Our empire and dotmap:

Ze Zave

Ze Roster:
Mathias - Up
BigNHuge - On deck to redeam himself :)
Methos - Still 'wet' all over.
nerovats- Gifted Republic around
namliaM- Just played

Top Bottom