Meditation

richardoux

Chieftain
I want to get into meditation but don't really know what to do or how to do it. How much do I meditate? What method should I use? Has anyone had success with it?

My goal is self regulation. I was taking some drugs for mood swings but I didn't like the side effects and my doctor said try meditation as it's often more effective than drugs.

I looked up LKM and tried that a couple times. It felt kind of weird.

Look up "10% Happier" by Dan Harris (ABC news person). He makes it very very approachable, enough for me to get into it.

For me, it's find 5-15min when I won't be disturbed, and either sitting or laying down, focus on an element of my breathing, for me it's the feeling of the air coming in and out of my nose/mouth. When my mind drifts, think "no worries, back to the breathing". Over time I'm able to do it with less and less drifting, but boy howdy starting out with just 2min sessions my mind was like a coked-up squirrel.

Hey good luck. Trying to get back into it myself, been on & off for years w my record being about 75 days in a row.

Wish I had some advice but I'm very inconsistent w it rn.

If you don’t have time to meditate 30 minutes a day you need to meditate an hour each day.

Or something.

I do it occasionally, thanks for the reminder. My way was whole hogging it. I went to dhamma.org and signed up for their full silent boot camp. It’s legit, it’s not culty but it will make you worry it is until you’re done and realize they are exactly what they say they are. Afterward meditation is “easy”. Hah.

LKM meditation is weird to me. It's supposed to make you more empathetic but it doesn't seem to clear my mind at all. I think just letting your mind be empty and wander is better.

Top Bottom