Met a child prodigy today

plarq

Crazy forever
I attended Electrodynamics class today (which is a grade-6 class, second year in Graduate School one), and there came in a young lad who is sophisticated enough to get in. He looks like grade-9 or something.

After the class, I learned that boy is only 12 and completed all required classes to enroll into this. They also guessed he has some kind of autism to finish these monsters before we get out of our diapers. :crazyeye: And I thought I was clever enough to finish K-12 before 16!

Pardon me that I forgot all about those physics courses...may Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Feynman, and every physicists forgive my forsaken soul.
Edit; found that guy. Link

So where do he go to get picked on by people his own size?

The link didn't work, but I saw that it involved IUPUI, and I immediately knew it. This kid was on 60 Minutes just this past Sunday. We watched it and we all felt incredibly stupid.

His name is Jake Barnett. Here is the 60 Minutes interview with him:

Link to video.

Not all autistic people have unhappy lives. I speak as one of them, but even I'm not as smart as him. :)

I rather autism not exist. I know people who suffers from it without this seeming benefits. It is terrible for a parent to have an autistic child and learns that he/she has no special gift.

I rather autism not exist. I know people who suffers from it without this seeming benefits. It is terrible for a parent to have an autistic child and learns that he/she has no special gift.
I think that you may be confusing "autism" and "getting bitten be a radioactive spider" somewhat.

Is there a relation between autism and intelligence? I have been trying to find any studies on it, but my studies searching skills are severely lacking.

There are far worse things that can happen to a child than autism. For example, they could be born in Saudi Arabia or Florida.

Following on what warpus said...even be murdered in the womb!

There are far worse things that can happen to a child than autism. For example, they could be born in Saudi Arabia or Florida.

What about Florida? :confused:

Is there a relation between autism and intelligence? I have been trying to find any studies on it, but my studies searching skills are severely lacking.

I'm not fully sure but it seems to me that, while autists are more likely to be gifted in certain intellectual pursuits, they are on average not dumber or smarter than the general population.

Yeah it seems from what I've read, autism isn't likely to make you any smarter, at all, but if you happen to be autistic and really smart, your focus is so narrow that you are likely to hyper-excel.

Autism is often, but not always, accompanied by other cognitive conditions. Some of those can be helpful in certain ways, while others can be very unhelpful indeed. Since we really don't understand the causes, comments on the relationship between autism and other conditions are usually nothing more than blind speculation.

Top Bottom