[MOD] Realism:The Third Resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i will play Aztecs, i'm your man ;)

Level of difficulty wanted ?
Speed wanted ?

Houman said:
Is it ok for you guys if I release the file in RAR instead of ZIP?

WINRAR is shareware and makes the file 2 MB smaller than ZIP, which is good for my bandwidth, when so many are downloading the mod.

What do you think?
Thanks
Houman

I can only recommend 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/), which (on ultra compression) makes the file another 33% smaller than WinRAR... and it is self-extractable.

Guys you blew up my Website. 5 GB are already transferred only for Realism Ver 0.64 :D

I have no more traffic bandwidth free for version 0.70. Stop downloading. hehe my provider is going to charge me now, damn...

@thamis, thanks for your tip. It comes very handy. :)

Everyone else who volunteered for BETA test is in. we should be now 5 or 6.

Sorry for delay. I have reskinned two new Missionary Units for Zoroastrians and reskinned already their huge Shrine too. Only one more building is almost finished and then we are there....damn I have to cook too, I am hungry... What a weekend, considering I met a hot blond girl two weeks ago, I should be working on a relationship, but what am I doing here? For god's sake... :D
Houman

ok, finally it is inished. I still have to finish one or two buttons and work a bit more on some builing skins, but hey at least the beta testers can play the game.

Only problem, my providor has cut down my website. Bloody 1&1... the filegone.com takes ages and nothing is happening... :(

As soon as I have the file up I will send the file to the Beta testers...

Houman

when i play this mod and create a new world almost evevy tile is grassland.it only happens with this mod

Realism MOD 0.70 has just gone BETA 7 and has been sent to the testers.

Please test carefully and send me all the bugs clearly. Test the Religions and Inquisitors. Pay attention to AI and its strategy. Play in the usual game difficulty you are used to play.

Please do not forget reporting me good and bad news, I would like to release it before the Iranian New Year's Eve on coming Saturday as a spring gift to the whole community!

Good luck and have fun!
Houman

Problem downlaod rate is 300-400 octets/sec it would take 3 hours

Any problem for you ?

I Aztec !

Jeppson said:
when i play this mod and create a new world almost evevy tile is grassland.it only happens with this mod
I think i experience a simular problem, i set the world settings to random.. usually for a terra map, but all i ever get is the same temperate / medium sea level settings, every time. Im not sure if its the mod or the game... but i would really like those settings to be random.

---

First up... excellent mod, i egerly await the new version.

Here a few things that also annoy me, which you may or maynot want to take into consideration as well. (im on nobal difficulty)

- barbarians using technology that hasn't been researched by any civ yet, mainly chariots and swords man... when all ive got is a warrior or archer, in otherwords for uncivilised men they're sure are quite technologically advanced

- going broke so easily, i was having this problem a while ago where if i built more than two cities i started to go drastically broke... to the point where no one could get any research or work done, maybe workers should drain food rather than gold (or possibly have this as a boon for communism).

- religions, certain religions should not be so far down the research line... it would be good if all civs had a equal chance to research them, possibly have them with no pre-req's(& not a pre-req for other techs) & researchable at anytime

... anyway, thats just a few idea's ignor them if you want.

Houman,

I am posting here so other beta testers can compare notes. If you would rather have them as emails please let me know.

Early impressions

First game...
Played Persians, got wiped out early by barbarians from babylon with archers in the first 50 turns of games. (admittingly I had sent my solitary warrior out for scouting and had unprotected city but thoguth was rather early for barbs to have archers.

Second game...
Playing Spanish, doing well...up to about 420 BC now and just discovered Christianity. Nearly have French cleaned up and I have Morrocco and Libya areas of North Africa. Following notes from this game.

*** Even though Spanish start with mystism and I made beeline for priesthood I was beat to Hinduism by a good 12 turns. Rome founded Buddism.
*** I started game on my 1.6ghz laptop with 1gb of memory. Was unplayable by 800BC. Turns were lasting a good 6-7 minutes even this early in game. I switched to my desktop (OPTY 165 at 2600mhz, 2 gb memory, NF 4 Ultra board) and at around 400 bc the game is alreday putting a strain on the computer. Turns 3-4 minutes. On version 0.64 it never takes more than about 45 seconds for a turn even late in game. Not sure why the slowdown. Possibly all the additional barbs and civs???
*** Somehow had contact with Washington in 628BC. Not sure how as only galleys were available. Maybe he had a galley at Iceland and Elizabeth had one in shetlands and they could see each other??? This needs to be addressed to prevent contact until caravels are available.
*** I like the promotions available in 0.64 but there are way to many now for very young units. It seems every unit out there has 3-4 promotions to start with. This defeats the purpose of going to Theocracy and Vassalage for me any way. I have to sort though my stack of units to see which to attack wiht now when before the optimum unit seemed to always show first. I also think the Ai doesn't know how to use some of the new ones very well. All of its units are geared for offensive tactics and are easy pickings when you are attacking the AI. I learned eary to sit in the woods and let them come across open ground to me. That is rather historical but AI units defending cities never seem to have defence promotions.

More to come....So far, except for promotion thing I like it though.

I'm playing aztecs but i see that ai turns are far more slow...

I play this map in regent level and barbarians are already mostly wipped in few regions

@AvianAvenger

Someone needs to have a look on the world generator. Perhaps this was modified by Jmy predecessor in a way to improve it. I hope it is not broken. Is anyone able to provide a fix? I really need a hand here guys.

The Barbarians are actually civilizations like in real life. If you check the definition Barbarians under the civilopedia it says the same. Greeks called everyone Barbarian who doesn't speak your tongue. In the realism game we made it even possible for them to research and build whatever they would like. Since they start usually with a little villiage and few units, they might have an advantage in the early game. This good from two points:
1) Players cannot expand so fast. They have to think and be careful. Like in real life! Since you cannot have diplomatic relationship with Barbarians. Thats the only difference between the, They are agressive and would always attack you. The times where you keep your city unattended and send your army to explore are over. ;)
2) Good commanders like Cyrus the Great were able to start or mobilize their Civilization against an existing and stronger Civ. And he was able to capture them. So did the Romans with Gauls and Germans etc. It is the challenge and the situation becomes even more challenging in the new Realism Worldmap. ;)

- Workers should drain food instead of gold? I need to think about it...

- Religions have completely changed in the next version. ;)

have fun
houman

@jeffdawgfan

Yes please share everything here. It is better to compare the results. Thanks for the detailed report.

- Shame on you, you played as Persians and left their Capitol undefended? ;)
I am glad the AI kicked your butt in this case.

- This bloody AI, it should be immpossible to cross the Atlantic ocean. It should even not be possible to do it from Greenland (on purpose) How did Washington get to Europe? :( You were playing our Worldmap right? Thats weird...

The slowdown wasn't an issue for me yet. Laptop 1.7Ghz, 1Gig Ram. You haven't played the World map before. Maybe this is a new experience. BTW CIV4 makes the whole CPU and Laptop quite hot. You need extra Laptop coolers or it will lag. Thats normal.

The bloody promotions...yeah v0.8 is totally overexaggerated. But there were some improvements (Fort) and bug fixes compared to v0.5. But you are right, we need to redo them. I will take care of them and delete the unrealistic ones and make them again as powerful as in 0.5. He made all the promotions 35-50% stronger. That unbalances the game again too much. :(

your last point is my fault. hehe. I have made AI more aggressive. 2/3 of Units that were before there only for counter attacks and attacks are now City attacks as well. It means, if it comes to War, AI will try to wipe you out. It seems you had a better strategy though. Do you think that the new changes makes it easier than before? Were you more challanged before than now? (Same difficulty level?)

Thanks for report
Houman

@Lachlan

Regent Level? Isn't Regent below Noble? I thought you are a Civ veteran! ;) Just teasing you. But Regent is really too easy, thats why Barbs are wiped out.

How are Americans an Incas doing?

Houman

@All,

I had to add two more things. But these are the last ones. I am not accepting anymore suggestions for next version. I need some sleep. :)

I have added the Second Unique Units for each Civ. :)
I only have to balance them out to match the other Units, give them the proper resources req. etc

Only problem: The Persian Knight and Teutonic Knight have both religious signs on their shield, cloth. I have to dye it, god damn it. That takes some time again.

The last improvement I am going probably to do is the Regiment mod as an OPTIONAL one. I provide two versions.

I have already reskinned the Magi and Dastur priests for Zoroastrians and reskinned the Zoroastrian Temple and Monastry too. The Cathedral was already done by Abbamouse. i have finished their Shrine as well. Only one single color improvement is left. Button for inquisition building is done too.

Last but not least, the new promotions are too much and too unrealistic. I need to iron them out. :( never ending story...hpefully i can finish it for this weekend as planned....

Houman

Houman said:
@Lachlan

Regent Level? Isn't Regent below Noble? I thought you are a Civ veteran! ;) Just teasing you. But Regent is really too easy, thats why Barbs are wiped out.

How are Americans an Incas doing?

Houman

No i play Noble :) But i talked of "Regent" for 50/50

My Aztec Empire is well develloped i have same level of tech of two others, pratically all my cities were founded with a Tenochtitlàn settler, i created a "Panama canal" with a city

My empire is the smallest score, i have not made a war for the moment, but my towns are well develloped

follow more later, i continue

@Houman

I have been playing World Map and have played the 0.64 map also. Thus I do think the game is slowed down, but not unbearably so. I am playing the prince level and the Barbs are fairly agressive though by 420BC they are getting pretty thinned out. Egyptians, Russians, are the dominant ones at moment... pretty typical since they have much room to expand. Except for the promotions, it is going well. Being ex-military I always hated when units or soilders recieved promotions or medals for doing nothing:D

Sorry, it was more and more slow and difficult for my pc ! :eek:

I ship the saved game : i cant because file > 500 Ko :mischief:

I will replay later, pfff

With an another Civ if you permitted it

My PC is a PIV monocore 3.4 Ghz, 6600 GT 128 Mo and 1024 Mo DDRAM 533 Mhz Samsung, i don't understand !

Ok, I had a look on the promotions while sitting in the metro. Actually his idea isn't bad. He didn't throw everything together; the new promotions are going strict in one direction.

Combat, Attack (less defense), Defense, City Raid, City Garrison etc.

One thing I am fixing now are the values. They are way too high. This would bring up the civ2 effect where a Spearman could kill a Tank again. ;)

I am making them weaker like v.0.5. But there is nothing I would like to delete completely.

Having more Attack, makes you vulnerable to Attacks too (less defense in every tile).

Jeff, you as an ex-military: What would you suggest to make them more realistic? Have a look on the Promotions.txt in the Main folder. It lists all the Promotions, Traits and Perks with the values.

Remember I will make them weaker. 15% -> 10% etc.

Thanks

Lachlan, your computer seems to be strong enough. Why is it that slow? Have you installed the most recent Video driver and sound driver?

If you guys think the world map is too slow, then I should probably forget implementing the optional Regiments Mod. :(

Or we need a smaller world map...

Where are the other testers? Guys comments!!!

Thanks
Houman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom