[MODCOMP] New Profession: Inventor w/ TechTree

I changed the security permission for the mods folder and was able to extract 1.1c to the folder. I can now see and select it under the Load a Mod option, but I can't get it to load. When I try the game sits there for a few minutes then kicks me out to the desktop.

I changed the security permission for the mods folder and was able to extract 1.1c to the folder. I can now see and select it under the Load a Mod option, but I can't get it to load. When I try the game sits there for a few minutes then kicks me out to the desktop.

Have you patched Colonization to the latest Patch here...http://www.firaxis.com/games/downloads.php

I just patched CivCol4 to 1.01f and tried to load Inventor mod.The same thing happened, I select it, click ok , the game sits there for a few minutes then kicks me out.

I just patched CivCol4 to 1.01f and tried to load Inventor mod.The same thing happened, I select it, click ok , the game sits there for a few minutes then kicks me out.

Do you see the loading screen? If at what point does it stop loading? Try installing another mod and see if you can get that to work.

I downloaded your Forts V.06a mod and it's the same story. I select it form the Load a Mod screen, and click ok. The pointer changes to a global, spins a few times then kicks me out.

I downloaded your Forts V.06a mod and it's the same story. I select it form the Load a Mod screen, and click ok. The pointer changes to a global, spins a few times then kicks me out.
K, sounds like your having problems running any mod. I am not sure at all what that could be at this point. I would look through the posts on the technical forum here http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159 and or start a thread there about not being able to play a mod. Be sure to give what kind of computer and operating system you are using.

I did it! I had to go in to the Civ4config file to do it. Now that I played for a few hour, I can finally say that this is the best mod I played since FFH. My only complaint is that you didn't include the Turtle. I know in the real revolutionary it didn't work out, but I think it would be nice to have in the mod.

I did it! I had to go in to the Civ4config file to do it. Now that I played for a few hour, I can finally say that this is the best mod I played since FFH. My only complaint is that you didn't include the Turtle. I know in the real revolutionary it didn't work out, but I think it would be nice to have in the mod.

Gratz man, glad you like the mod. I actually looked for a good model for the "Turtle" but have not found one yet. I thought about making it like a world unit where the first to research the tech gets it. I'll keep a look out for a good unit and if I can find one or maby get someone to make it for me I'll add it in.

I installed the latest patch, for some reason I'm getting a new XML error from it:

Tag Œ,□_MIL in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

I tracked this down to resulting from the entry for MILITARY_TECH in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml - I set the <DefineTextVal> for that to an appropriate XML tag TECH_MIL from my mod, but it still gives an XML error with strange characters like Œ,&#9633; no matter what tagname it's set to. The other entries like MEDICINE_TECH don't cause errors when their tagnames are set, so I'm not sure what's causing that. Could those old tags just be removed from the game, or would that cause problems with the SDK?

I'm still getting the problem where sometimes the Inventor's House building does not appear in a colony and sometimes it does; also techs that allow a unitclass can still show the name of the wrong unittype for that civ. It looks like native players can do research when the new XML tag is set, although I haven't confirmed it yet when they're controlled by the AI.

I installed the latest patch, for some reason I'm getting a new XML error from it:

Tag Œ,&#9633;_MIL in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

I tracked this down to resulting from the entry for MILITARY_TECH in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml - I set the <DefineTextVal> for that to an appropriate XML tag TECH_MIL from my mod, but it still gives an XML error with strange characters like Œ,&#9633; no matter what tagname it's set to. The other entries like MEDICINE_TECH don't cause errors when their tagnames are set, so I'm not sure what's causing that. Could those old tags just be removed from the game, or would that cause problems with the SDK?

I'm still getting the problem where sometimes the Inventor's House building does not appear in a colony and sometimes it does; also techs that allow a unitclass can still show the name of the wrong unittype for that civ. It looks like native players can do research when the new XML tag is set, although I haven't confirmed it yet when they're controlled by the AI.

I may have added the wrong dll. Anyway, I have attached a new dll and I removed the reference to those unused xml tags like MILITARY_TECH so you should be able to just delete those. You still need "NATIVE_TECH" though as that is used a lot by the SDK.

Please test this new DLL for the above mentioned bugs. I have not looked into just why the Inventors house does not appear some times yet though. Are you starting "Custom" games when this error appears or does it happen no matter what cause I have only seen it in Custom games?

Attachments

• CvGameCoreDLL.rar
    936.4 KB · Views: 168
Thanks Kailric, using your new DLL solved the XML error and also fixed the tech popups to display all the unittypes correctly. :king: I've gotten the missing Inventors House during normal games since I don't usually start Custom Games, it seems to happen randomly about 1/4 of the time. One strange thing I just noticed, in one game where both my cities started without the Inventors house, one of them had the Civ4 Jewish religion icon showing over it in the main map. Weird, I don't know if that's somehow related?

Attachments

• shot.jpg
    shot.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 222
Thanks Kailric, using your new DLL solved the XML error and also fixed the tech popups to display all the unittypes correctly. :king: I've gotten the missing Inventors House during normal games since I don't usually start Custom Games, it seems to happen randomly about 1/4 of the time. One strange thing I just noticed, in one game where both my cities started without the Inventors house, one of them had the Civ4 Jewish religion icon showing over it in the main map. Weird, I don't know if that's somehow related?

Hey Orlanth, your mod is looking pretty sexy in that pic! :goodjob:

Thanks, orlanth for testing that out. I updated the starting post to have the new "fixed" patch. I will investigate the "missing Inventors House" more this weekend. The Jewish religion icon is new to me and I have no idea what that would be there for... strange indeed.

I just played 1.1 for the first time and saw one bug

the tech that enables coal required coal making the tech and every tech after it unresearchable.

Thats actually not a bug but a feature. You have to trade Coal from the Natives first before you can research it. I think there are other Goods as well, like Tobacco you have to get from the Natives before you can research it.

In that case play on. I like the idea. Its a great mod and is making me consider joining the modding community in Colonization. I requested a mod a while back which would give the colinization resources and city screen to Civilization IV. Would it be possible to merge the two games?
You gave a good start by showing that teching was possible. Now lets see if we can take it a few steps further.

In that case play on. I like the idea. Its a great mod and is making me consider joining the modding community in Colonization. I requested a mod a while back which would give the colinization resources and city screen to Civilization IV. Would it be possible to merge the two games?
You gave a good start by showing that teching was possible. Now lets see if we can take it a few steps further.

Which parts would you like to see merged? Like the part where Resources can be turned into units and traded and the profession system?

I am working on a Middle Ages mod for Colonization that will expained upon the Inventor Mod, but fixing and updating my exciting mods will prolly be the only projects I work on when thats done for Colonization.

Civ 5 is out and when I get that I may look into mergeing some of the aspects of Colonization into it.

But by all means join us in the modding community, we would love to have you.

Unfortunately my modding capabilities are low as I only do XML but keep meaning to learn python:

My plan of action is simple possible:
1. Take Colinization
2. add techs (which you did)
3. add era's (which is possible, there is a modern colonization mod and a future one)
4. add units (hopefully more then the number of units in civilization iv, again has been done before. Split weapons into 5 different types: Ranged weapons, (requires Lumber) iron weapons, (requires iron ore) (they won&#8217;t need tools like before so building armies is slightly easier) bronze weapons, (requires copper) gunpowder weapons, requires either Iron or Bronze, Modern weapons (requires steel, which can be made from iron) vehicles (which require Steel) and Aircrafts (which require oil)
5. As gold will be rarer. Units now require 1 food instead of 1 gold. However if there is enough food on the tile it&#8217;s on (this is the only part I doubt is possible) then the food is needed (for example an army of 7 soldiers on a plot with 4 food requires 3 food to maintain) however if they are in enemy borders they can&#8217;t collect any food (thus making them more expensive) and if they are in your own border they are cheaper (receive X number of free units)
6. abolish the Europe screen (is possible, mods have added an Africa screen for slave trading. If you can add something, you should be able to take it away)
7. add civilizations and leaders (of course. has been done before. The leaderheads from Civilization IV will do fine, but we need to think of traits like in colinization)
8. Add resources (as well as all the resources in Colinization all the resources from Civilization IV should be included. They should all produces themselves except for the resources like wheat and fish that produce food. Any resource that produces gold become produces themselves for trade. Gold, Silver and Gems however simply produce Gold. Horses of course produce horses)
9. After researching currency, any luxury resource can be traded in a cities market for gold (this could be the equivalent of the Europe screen). Every 10 units (regardless of whether they are soldiers, or in the city) will now cost 1 gold (making trading more important. A person working a market or a bank or a grocer will produce gold)
10. More buildings, as buildings will need to be worked, making a lot less people working tiles, a population will now require 1 food to maintain instead of 2 like in colonization and civilization 4
11. Wonders, I&#8217;m not sure if this is possible but add wonders to the game
12. Replace liberty bells with culture
13. Add great people, if not possible then add more founding fathers
14. Turn constitution into civics, make it so techs enable them rather than rebelling (should be possible)

I don't think I have missed anything. It should be possible (at least 8 of the 14 steps are used in other mods) but would take months (if not years) of modding. However after that we have got an epic game. It could probably be (with just a graphics update) used as civilization VI. After that we begin the RoM modmod. Then we have a game that I will never EVER stop playing.

Yes, a lot of the steps have been done already. Actually, if you wanted to create a mod that spanned the whole history of time the Inventor mod is a really good start. You can easily combined the units and buildings from all the mods out there to create this. In my Medieval Mod I am expanding on some of the Inventor mods features. Like I will make it possible for certain Goods to not even be listed until they are researched and or become obsolete and no longer appear.

All that would need be done is adding in the techs that allow units/buildings all through history. I am busy on other things but if you wanted to do the work we here would be able to help with advice or suggestions I am sure.

Top Bottom