[MODCOMP] New Profession: Inventor w/ TechTree

Once I learn python this will be my decadely project.

Well, the easiest thing to learn would be to mod the XML. I explain in the first post on how to add in new techs and what each new attribute does and there are lots of tutorials on how to add units and civs. Knowing Python is useful if you want to change the games UI (User Interface), that is what images and information is displayed on screen. Say you want to "abolish" the Europe Screen this can be done with a simple change in Python by just removing the button that calls it up. But then where would players sell their goods, you have to think of things like that.

The real heart of the game is in what they call the SDK or source code, which is the C++ language. Here is where you can totally turn the game into something else. This Link and others by Kael and the other guys on the Civ4 modding forum is what made it possible for me to create the Inventor Mod.

The information is there if you have the desire to learn.

I have mastered the XML with changes the statistics for every civic and unit in the game. I thought the rest of the game was mostly python, but maybe I should learn C++ instead?

Yes, C++ is the Engine that drives the game, so I would start there first. If you can learn the basics of C++ then Python will be easier to understand as well as it was created to be simpler than C++. To do some of the more complex changes to the game you need to know C++, Python, and XML.

If you have never done any programing before I would get a book that teaches you the basics. Just knowing the basics on how programing works will help you greatly understand what is going on under the hood. And if you have any questions you can ask in this forum here SDK/PYTHON.

Most of the games C++ code gets packed into one file called "CvGameCoreDLL.dll". In order to build your very own "dll" file you will have to learn to work with the SDK. So, the First thing I would do would be to learn to set it up. You can go here SDK Modding
for starters but I am not sure if that post is the most up to date. You can search around and or ask on the forums to find out.

Hi everyone,

I'm Robert Surcouf from Civfr.com (a french fan-site). I hope you will excuse my English...

This Mod Component seems extremely interesting! I would like to translate Inventor
in French. I have nearly finished. May I send you the Xml files, when I'm finished?

There are a few mistakes in non-English languages (sometimes a sentence is missing or just a symbol " ] "). But nothing important.

Moreover, the City center plot bonus doesn't work correctly... I can see one additional food on the screen but it doesn't change the city food production. (I'll try to send you a screenshot)

I would also like to develop a mod based on the Inventor Core. May I?

Hi everyone,

I'm Robert Surcouf from Civfr.com (a french fan-site). I hope you will excuse my English...

This Mod Component seems extremely interesting! I would like to translate Inventor
in French. I have nearly finished. May I send you the Xml files, when I'm finished?

There are a few mistakes in non-English languages (sometimes a sentence is missing or just a symbol " ] "). But nothing important.

Moreover, the City center plot bonus doesn't work correctly... I can see one additional food on the screen but it doesn't change the city food production. (I'll try to send you a screenshot)

Hello, and yes, post the translation and I'll add it to the mod, that would be great. Thanks for bug report. While developing the Medieval: Conquest mod I noticed another thing or two that needed fixed so I'll work out these and post an update as soon as I can.

I'll have to update the Inventor Core as well but you would be welcome to use it in any way you want. I'll do my best to get an update in the next couple of days. I want have as much time to work on modding in the next few weeks but I'll do the best I can.

Thank you.

Here are the screenshots.

There is also a missing .dds file, I think. In the Research screen, the "material cost" doesn't appear.

Attachments

• FoodAfter.jpg
    FoodAfter.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 225
  • FoodBefore.jpg
    FoodBefore.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 222
  • FoodNextTurn.jpg
    FoodNextTurn.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 215
Here are the files for the French translation (and I corrected the minor mistakes in the text files).

Unfortunately, I had to modify CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, CIV4UnitInfos.xml and CIV4ProfessionInfos.xml to add "TXT_KEY" entries...

May I also use your Early Cannons files ?

Attachments

• InventorFR.zip
    34.6 KB · Views: 200
Here are the files for the French translation (and I corrected the minor mistakes in the text files).

Unfortunately, I had to modify CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, CIV4UnitInfos.xml and CIV4ProfessionInfos.xml to add "TXT_KEY" entries...

May I also use your Early Cannons files ?

Great! Well I will work on fixing the known bugs and get a new update as soon as possible. It may take me a few days as I can only work on this in the evenings.

You can go ahead and start making your mod. Will you be changeing the DLL? I'll mark all my changes that I make to the current version so it will be easy to merge in my next update. If you mod does not require any DLL changes then it will be even easier for you. I'll fix that bug you also reported and it requires DLL changes as well.

If you mod does not require any DLL changes you will just be able to drop in the new DLL to any mod you would make.

And yes, feel free to use the cannons I posted... thats why I posted them :goodjob:

Thank you,

I would like to start without doing any modifications in the DLLs... So everything is fine.

When the Xml modifications are done. I will post the mod files.

Then, afterwards I might try to modify the Dlls. I haven't done much modifications in the .cpp files The game doesn't generate bonuses on peaks. It's quite easy to change (I removed one line in a .cpp file). I also enabled ships to "talk to chief" (one line to remove).

So for now, I have only managed to remove lines...

If I learn more, I may want to change the Europe plot colors (Europe_East would be one color, Europe_West another, Europe_North would be in a third color etc... instead of one color for all)

And then (why not? one can have dreams!) a native screen, with a "native conversion bar" for each Christian mission, similar to the (yellow) "immigration bar" in the Europe Screen.

I have found a few other bugs... The statesman profession info in the civilopedia seems incorrect... I see a pioneer instead !

I tried to modify the
Code:
<YieldModifiers/>
in the CIV4CivicInfos.xml, but nothing happened in-game. I added 3 food to my colonies, but nothing actually happens!

I also tried to add a trait, but I only got an error message.
I tried
Code:
<AllowsTrait>TRAIT_FISHING</AllowsTrait>
(Of course I added TRAIT_FISHING in Civ4TraitInfos.xml).

It seems that
Code:
is incorrect. But I don't understand why...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0125.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0125.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 253
I have found a few other bugs... The statesman profession info in the civilopedia seems incorrect... I see a pioneer instead !

I tried to modify the
Code:
<YieldModifiers/>
in the CIV4CivicInfos.xml, but nothing happened in-game. I added 3 food to my colonies, but nothing actually happens!

I also tried to add a trait, but I only got an error message.
I tried
Code:
(Of course I added TRAIT_FISHING in Civ4TraitInfos.xml).

It seems that
Code:
is incorrect. But I don't understand why...

I'll check into those bugs. What was the error message you got on adding a trait to a tech requirement? That would help me figure out what the problem is.

Top Bottom