[Modding] What Mods will you be creating?

I'm a modder (or will become one) and I'll create...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be up for that, although I guess if a bunch of people take the LastSword approach a ton of mods could be not just doubled but tripled up :p

We could act in solidarity, found a League of LastSwords or something. The LoLS... hmm...

Hah that's probably true but its always the same thing when new games are launched: everybody is so motivated and competes and stuff but with time some people disappear or naturally find their niche. (like in civ v)

I look forward to the chaos at the beginning of the Civ VI modding era as much as the organized new community that will spawn from it later.

I wonder about that anyway... what's wrong with releasing a second version of a Civ that already exists?

I'm seriously debating whether I want to create some Warcraft Civs for CiV to fill time because I think I have some cool ideas that fit those leaders. They do already exist, thematically, but my take would be a completely different one.

Of course for the mod user it would be better if they had 2 Civilizations to choose from instead of one offering two alternatives (in most cases anyway), but in the end in my opinion modders should create the stuff they want over trying to not overlap with other modders.

...also, I just realized I forgot to add Maps/Map Scripts in the poll. :(

Of course all modders are welcome to do what they want! My only hangup about doubling up on the same civs is that there are always dozens more civs that need development and representation and spending time and resources on repeating already-released civs is a limiting factor.

Well, I know that you're not saying that. :)

I just wonder why some people prioritize not creating a Civ that already exists so much that they would be "resentful" that people have already covered them. ^^

But I guess it's just different approaches with different goals.

I'd be up for that, although I guess if a bunch of people take the LastSword approach a ton of mods could be not just doubled but tripled up :p

We could act in solidarity, found a League of LastSwords or something. The LoLS... hmm...

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of doing your own thing?

Personally, I think it's fine to have a double up of a civ if it's big enough to do your own thing with it - like how JFD has ten Russias, or how CL and MC have both done their own take on Mexico. It seems a bit iffy if you're both going to do the same civ in the exact same manner though

Knowing myself I'd probably stick to civilizations historical and fantasy (Historical having the much higher chance of actually seeing public release). More than likely Goguryeo (or possibly Sejong's Korea if it isn't present in the base game).

Definitly looking forward to seeing what other people can do however, If JFD manages to get another Cultural Diversity going I'll be very happy.

Will give it a go. It will depend on what's needed to get assets in game. If .FBX is all that's needed, would be nice.

Given that Wonders now occupy an entire tile by themselves, and they've already confirmed that it will not be possible to damage them, I'm hoping somebody will create a mod where it will be possible to damage them. If nobody does, I may have to learn how to mod and try to create it myself.

Mind you, I only have a vague idea of how it should work. I know it shouldn't be possible for just any old military unit to walk by and destroy a Wonder, because then every Wonder would get destroyed every time, and that would be no fun. If razing cities Civ V-style is still in, perhaps Wonders would just naturally get destroyed during that process? I don't know, but I want to see destroyed Wonders remain on the map. They'd lose whatever benefit they had, but they should still contribute toward Tourism. And they shouldn't change into a generic "ruins" graphic, either--I'd want to see them turn into actually ruined versions of themselves, such that we have this:

turning into this:

Of course, that would require collaboration with a talented artist, since I assume learning how to alter the Wonder graphics in that way would take a lot more time and effort than simply learning how to script a method for allowing Wonder destruction at all.

Given that Wonders now occupy an entire tile by themselves, and they've already confirmed that it will not be possible to damage them, I'm hoping somebody will create a mod where it will be possible to damage them. If nobody does, I may have to learn how to mod and try to create it myself.

Mind you, I only have a vague idea of how it should work. I know it shouldn't be possible for just any old military unit to walk by and destroy a Wonder, because then every Wonder would get destroyed every time, and that would be no fun. If razing cities Civ V-style is still in, perhaps Wonders would just naturally get destroyed during that process? I don't know, but I want to see destroyed Wonders remain on the map. They'd lose whatever benefit they had, but they should still contribute toward Tourism. And they shouldn't change into a generic "ruins" graphic, either--I'd want to see them turn into actually ruined versions of themselves, such that we have this:

turning into this:

Of course, that would require collaboration with a talented artist, since I assume learning how to alter the Wonder graphics in that way would take a lot more time and effort than simply learning how to script a method for allowing Wonder destruction at all.

Hopefully you'll be able to take one of the construction-state models and add some smoke effects or something along those lines?

Snipped from part of a post on the "Introduce Yourself" thread.
The mod I want to make is a "Cloak and Dagger" mod1:
  • Hidden Nationality "Spies" roam the map and do mean things to adversaries
    • Steal technology
    • subborn units
    • sabotage a city's production
    • other mean things
  • Hidden Nationality "Assassins" roam the map and do mean things to adversary's Great People
    • Assassination
    • Subbornation
  • "Agents" roam the map and counter "Assassins" and "Spies" and either eject them from your territory or city, or they execute them
Not at all ambitious. I may have to learn dll or whatever the equivalent is in 6 in order to accomplish it because it would require heavy rework of whatever the AI system is in 6 in order to get the AI to understand and use such a system

1I really wanted to make this mod for Civ5, but Civ5 won't wear hidden nationality. Even William Howard could not get a hidden nationality to work in Civ5 because we have no access to the code of the graphics engine and the graphics engine was betraying the nationality.
  • I will probably port the Civ-Appropriate General and Admiral Names mod over to civ6 once I know what the lua code will require, and if persisting data will be possible ala TableSaverLoader. Though the lua (if lua is still used) for General & Admiral Names is in desperate need of a complete streamlining overhaul.
  • I would like to port the Era Buildings mod over to Civ6, because in a new game such a differing concept than what people are used to with Building-building might have a better shot at greater acceptance. But if Buildings must be placed in Districts, and there cannot be hidden or dummy buildings, then I think Era Buildings might be DOA.
  • I'd like to update and import my couple of wonder-mods into civ6, but if the graphical requirements are too severe with needing 3D models and such, well, there goes pretty much most of my foray into modding in civ6, because artwork and me are an oxymoronic nopeness.
  • Depending on whether Civ6 will have wild animals ala Cvi4 from the get-go, I might also want to recreate the Wildlife Reborn mod, but that also requires units, unit animations, and 3D competency once again.

More I think about what little we know so far, I may have to either kidnap Janboruta or submit an advert in the Civ6 forum along the lines of:
  • uh......any competent 3d modellers looking for a partner to do the code for stuff ? :D

Sukritact: that's a nice Wat!

Question to modders: Do you all think it's cool to have a fresh new start with new mechanics and features and hopefully better moddability? Or does it seem weird to "start all over again" ?

I'm thankful for all the cool Civ 5 mods, but at the moment the Civ 6 mechanics just sound more interesting and deep (and I'm getting bored of Civ 5) so I'm moving to play Civ 6.
Hope to enjoy all the great mods there too.

[*]I'd like to update and import my couple of wonder-mods into civ6, but if the graphical requirements are too severe with needing 3D models and such, well, there goes pretty much most of my foray into modding in civ6, because artwork and me are an oxymoronic nopeness.

I'm sure someone would be able to help out. Adding wonders is a trademark of our community and hopefully Firaxis won't make it too hard on us.

Haig said:
Question to modders: Do you all think it's cool to have a fresh new start with new mechanics and features and hopefully better moddability? Or does it seem weird to "start all over again" ?

I haven't made a whole lot of mods for V so I'm fine with it. I'm hoping I'll be better at it for VI as well.

I haven't made a whole lot of mods for V so I'm fine with it. I'm hoping I'll be better at it for VI as well.
Everyone is a tyro and will be for a while at civ6 modding. Just think , if William Howard makes the leap to civ6 then for at least a while you will have just as much expertise as he, and if you can deal with art and 3d modeling you have an area of expertise where he will likely (like me) always be a tyro.

Machiavelli, JFD, LastSword, Neirei, Sukritact, whoward69, Janboruta, Tpang, Rob(r8xft), Pookie, Acken, Tarcisiomgm, we will all be in the same modding rowboat at least at the beginning, along with any of the famous civ4 and civ3 modders who decide to make the transition to civ6 (and I didn't namecheck any of them 'cause I don't really know who they are, not having any real exposure to 4 and 3 mod-making or mod-makers). Our various experiences and expertises will obviously give us each an 'edge' in regaining the level of expertise with 6 as we currently have with whatever previous iteration of the game we came from, but even this is no guarantee any of us will be able to wrap our heads around the requirements for modding in an entirely-new game-system.

And that's something I'm kind of hype for. I see we have a BE modder as well. I think we'll be able to do some incredible stuff as a community for VI.

Sukritact: that's a nice Wat!
It's actually the Temple of Heaven, but thanks!

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be a nice change to be able to work with completely new mechanics, and will be a nice excuse to revisit, rework and recode many older designs.

I'll probably create a couple of scenarios (starting with "Earth 2017") and then see what else strikes my fancy.

I have a plan.

1) Play CiVI and Decide if I want to keep playing
2) Discover all the inevitable imbalances
3) Learn how to mod
4) Fix all of said imbalances

I know other modders have their own balance patches but they never fine tune things to how I want things to be. So I think I should just bite the bullet and make my own mod. The thing is that I have no idea where to begin as I've never modded other games before. Will modding CiVI be like modding previous iterations of Civ? Should I wait until the game is released to learn? Are there tutorials out there, perhaps in the modding subforums on CFC?

I got no idea :crazyeye:

Yeah, there's some pretty good (although sometimes outdated) guides in the Civ V subforums. They got me up to speed pretty quickly. I assume they'll probably stick to XML as a foundation, but even if they don't... the systems and the "logic" behind the file system will still be about the same, so learning Civ 5 Modding as a preparation should still be very useful, and at the very least you'll get to understand the "workflow" and know what you're looking for in Civ VI - especially if you don't have any prior knowledge about coding at all.

Top Bottom