[modmodmod] SOI expanded

AtlantaMarty

No longer active
This is a modmodmod for the Sword of Islam that expands the map by 15 tiles to the east adding Greece, most of the Balkans, and eastern Libya. This was done because Greece was so crucial to the Byzantines and Ottomans that it seemed wrong not having it in the original mod (which I love, btw, or I wouldn't have done this.) Please report any bugs you find, so I can fix them, other than that (and possibly adding UHVs for the civs from the original mod that have none), this is the final version.

Download link - http://sourceforge.net/projects/theswordofislamexpanded/files/?

Credits for Expanded:
Bobby Martnen - Idea, coding, testing
DC123456789 - city name maps, settler maps
BenZL43 - province maps
The Turk - SoI [PLUS] Edition, advice, sources
srpt - Advice and problem-fixing
embryodead - answering questions about mod, original mod

(old post in spoilers)
Spoiler :
Hi

This is the development thread for a modmodmod of SoI called SoI expanded

This is currently for idea generation only, although I would appreciate modding help.

Please Suggest civs!

Ideas:
All civs will be playable
New Civs:
Mihrabanids
Saffarids
Tahirids
Kara Koyunlu
Chobanids
Jalayerids
Muzaffarids
Injuds
Kartids
Shabancara
Sardabars

Expand map 15 tiles to east to include greece

The Mihrabanids look too minor to be represented- they'll only be controlling one or two cities at their historical extent (unless you can disprove me).
The Saffarids are too short lived in my opinion- they only ruled as an independent nation for about 40 years. If you really want an early civ in the area, I suppose it could work.
The Tahirids are even shorter-lived, and not really compatible with the Saffarids.
The Kara Koyunlu could work. Might be a short game, though, given that the Safavids will flip your core after about 125 years.
The Chobanids are too short-lived and their area should probably be given to the Kara Koyunlu.
The Jalayrids could work (there's even some remnant code in the actual SoI). You might want to make it a spawn conditional on barbarian control of Iraq, though, in case the Abbasids somehow manage to retain control of Iraq.
The Muzzafarids are somewhat short-lived, but it could work, I suppose.
The Injuids are too small and short-lived, and their territory is better off as pasrt of the Muzzafarids.
Kartids could work, though they are somewhat small and would require more Mongol barbarians in Afghanistan to destroy the Ghaznavids and Ghorids more reliably.
The Shabankaras seem too minor and their territory is better of part of the Buyids and Seljuks.
I can't find anything about the Sardabars. Could you post a link to more information or something?

Also, if you're going to include Greece you could make a case for Venice spawning at the Fourth Crusade (also representing the Latin Crusader states there that were essentially its vassals anyway), which would invade Constantinople, Thessalonica, Athens, Crete, and Cyprus at 1204.

After the Fourth Crusade: Principality of Achaea, Duchy of the Archipelago, Duchy of Athens, Kingdom of Candia, Despotate of Epirus, Latin Empire, Triarchy of Negroponte, Empire of Nicaea, Kingdom of Thessalonica, Empire of Trebizond
In Africa: Nobatia, Alodia, for Axum/Ethiopia, Sennar i Adal needed expand map to South
Caucasus:Shirvanshah

May be renamed Rebels in regional small dynasties?

The Mihrabanids look too minor to be represented- they'll only be controlling one or two cities at their historical extent (unless you can disprove me).
The Saffarids are too short lived in my opinion- they only ruled as an independent nation for about 40 years. If you really want an early civ in the area, I suppose it could work.
The Tahirids are even shorter-lived, and not really compatible with the Saffarids.
The Kara Koyunlu could work. Might be a short game, though, given that the Safavids will flip your core after about 125 years.
The Chobanids are too short-lived and their area should probably be given to the Kara Koyunlu.
The Jalayrids could work (there's even some remnant code in the actual SoI). You might want to make it a spawn conditional on barbarian control of Iraq, though, in case the Abbasids somehow manage to retain control of Iraq.
The Muzzafarids are somewhat short-lived, but it could work, I suppose.
The Injuids are too small and short-lived, and their territory is better off as pasrt of the Muzzafarids.
Kartids could work, though they are somewhat small and would require more Mongol barbarians in Afghanistan to destroy the Ghaznavids and Ghorids more reliably.
The Shabankaras seem too minor and their territory is better of part of the Buyids and Seljuks.
I can't find anything about the Sardabars. Could you post a link to more information or something?

Also, if you're going to include Greece you could make a case for Venice spawning at the Fourth Crusade (also representing the Latin Crusader states there that were essentially its vassals anyway), which would invade Constantinople, Thessalonica, Athens, Crete, and Cyprus at 1204.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will include the Saffarids, Kara Koyunlu, Jalayrids, Muzzafarids, and Kartids

And I misspelled Sarbadars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbadars

And I’m not adding venetian crusaders cause it would make the byzantines too hard. And also, if I did I would be too tempted to expand the map 10 more to include venice. And then 10 more after that to include genoa. And then 20 more after that to include Iberia.

After the Fourth Crusade: Principality of Achaea, Duchy of the Archipelago, Duchy of Athens, Kingdom of Candia, Despotate of Epirus, Latin Empire, Triarchy of Negroponte, Empire of Nicaea, Kingdom of Thessalonica, Empire of Trebizond
In Africa: Nobatia, Alodia, for Axum/Ethiopia, Sennar i Adal needed expand map to South
Caucasus:Shirvanshah

May be renamed Rebels in regional small dynasties?

Not adding any of the post-4th crusade states. This makes playing as the Byzantines nearly impossible.

Nobatia was conquered by Makuria about 40 years before SoI starts. (I'm not gonna change the start or end dates) Alodia, maybe. I don't know where I could find a leaderhead. I'm not gonna expand the map to the south, too much work, when most of it would be the indian ocean anyway. Shirvanshah sounds like a great idea, thanks!

No renamed rebels, sounds too difficult.

And I’m not adding venetian crusaders cause it would make the byzantines too hard. And also, if I did I would be too tempted to expand the map 10 more to include venice. And then 10 more after that to include genoa. And then 20 more after that to include Iberia.

Well, the Byzantines are definitely going to need threats from Europe to counter the fact that they'll be getting 5 or 6 new cities at the start date, with many more to settle. If you make it so that the Venetians only flip Crete (which would probably be more appropriate) and their invasion armies are only about as big as the one generated by the current event, it shouldn't be difficult for any human player to resist them, and even the AI usually survives 4th crusade event right now. Remember, cataphracts kill everything until the 14th century (excluding Mongols, of course).

Well, the Byzantines are definitely going to need threats from Europe to counter the fact that they'll be getting 5 or 6 new cities at the start date, with many more to settle. If you make it so that the Venetians only flip Crete (which would probably be more appropriate) and their invasion armies are only about as big as the one generated by the current event, it shouldn't be difficult for any human player to resist them, and even the AI usually survives 4th crusade event right now. Remember, cataphracts kill everything until the 14th century (excluding Mongols, of course).

Since i'm already adding greece to the map, adding a venetian civ will make extending the map to include venice too tempting. I'm adding closer to a dozen new cities, but that will negatively impact their economy. No further nerf needed. And If I add the venetians, they will not flip anything. They conquered the land against the will of it's inhabitants, so flipping makes no sense.

Since i'm already adding greece to the map, adding a venetian civ will make extending the map to include venice too tempting. I'm adding closer to a dozen new cities, but that will negatively impact their economy. No further nerf needed. And If I add the venetians, they will not flip anything. They conquered the land against the will of it's inhabitants, so flipping makes no sense.

Well, the 4th Crusade has to be implemented in some way, and since it was essentially a puppet of Venice, Venice seems like the best choice. And they do need a core (otherwise I think there's going to be problems), so Crete seemed the most appropriate, just as Goa is Portugal's core here.

Well, the 4th Crusade has to be implemented in some way, and since it was essentially a puppet of Venice, Venice seems like the best choice. And they do need a core (otherwise I think there's going to be problems), so Crete seemed the most appropriate, just as Goa is Portugal's core here.

The difference is that Goa was culturally/ethnically Portuguese and Catholic until India's illegal conquest of Goa on December 19, 1961 (a date that will forever live in infamy) (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/512/712/299/return-goa-occupied-by-india-since-1961-to-portugal/#sign). Crete was never culturally/ethnically Venetian or Catholic.

PS Goa is rightfully Portugues and should be reunited with Portugal, but that's OT so I won't say anymore. (I'm 1/4 Portuguese Goan.)

And do you think I should add Venice to the map?

And is it possible to make Crete Venice's core, but have them spawn stacks of units instead of flipping it?

No, Venice itself should not be added. That would involve expanding the map far too much. But it certainly had a great influence and control over Greece and the Aegean, and that must be represented in some way. And I'm pretty sure Goa wasn't culturally Portuguese either when they first conquered it. ;) It's perfectly possible to spawn stacks on your core provinces instead of outright flipping- srpt has done that for a few civs in RFCCW. Ask him for advice.

No, Venice itself should not be added. That would involve expanding the map far too much. But it certainly had a great influence and control over Greece and the Aegean, and that must be represented in some way. And I'm pretty sure Goa wasn't culturally Portuguese either when they first conquered it. ;) It's perfectly possible to spawn stacks on your core provinces instead of outright flipping- srpt has done that for a few civs in RFCCW. Ask him for advice.

Goa was a backwater until Portugal conquered it. Indian rule is bad for Goa, IMHO.

I will, thanks.

But I really do want to add Iberia and venice to the map.
Oh well, It's too much work.

PS. Can you help me find leaderheads for the new civs?

Well, Enrico Dandalo is obviously a candidate for Venice. Ask the guys at RFCE where they got that leaderhead.
For the Saffarids, the leader should be Ya'qub ibn al-Layth al-Saffar (perhaps abbreviate to Ya'qub al-Saffar).
Jahan Shah should be the leader of the Kara Koyunlu.
Shaikh Hasan-i Buzurg should be the leader of the Jalayrids.
Mubariz ad-Din Muhammad should be the leader of the Muzzafarids.
Mu'izz-uddin Husayn ibn Ghiyath-uddin (perhaps abbreviate to Mu'izz-uddin Husayn) should be the leader of the Kartids.
For all of them (except Enrico Dandalo), I can't really find many pictures of them, so any generic medieval Middle Eastern leaderheads will work.

Edit: You could probably use the Abu Bakr here as a leaderhead (not of Abu Bkar, obviously, but as one of those generic Persian leaders).
Also, the Kanishka here might work.

Well, Enrico Dandalo is obviously a candidate for Venice. Ask the guys at RFCE where they got that leaderhead.
For the Saffarids, the leader should be Ya'qub ibn al-Layth al-Saffar (perhaps abbreviate to Ya'qub al-Saffar).
Jahan Shah should be the leader of the Kara Koyunlu.
Shaikh Hasan-i Buzurg should be the leader of the Jalayrids.
Mubariz ad-Din Muhammad should be the leader of the Muzzafarids.
Mu'izz-uddin Husayn ibn Ghiyath-uddin (perhaps abbreviate to Mu'izz-uddin Husayn) should be the leader of the Kartids.
For all of them (except Enrico Dandalo), I can't really find many pictures of them, so any generic medieval Middle Eastern leaderheads will work.

I prefer to call Dandolo by his English name - Henry Dandolo. But I have RFCE, so I think I can take the LH from there.

I will try to find leaderheads this week.

And how much of the code for the Jalayrids is in SoI?

UUs UBs, and UPs
I plan to make all the civs playable and add a 2nd UU and UB, possibly even a third. Does anybody have any suggestions for these and UHVs?

My plan for Portugal is
UU: Carrack (replaces Caravel - already in SoI)
UB: Feitoria (already in SoI as Estado de India building - will change so it is Porgual's unique Building)
UP: Empire of Portugal: All maintanance costs halved (represents how the Portuguese overseas provinces were sponsored by the government of mainland Portugal)

UHV1: Control all core and border Provinces by 1550
UHV2: Have 10,000 gold by 1600
UHV3: Have 11 unique resources by 1650

There are names for Venice, Genoa, and Jalayrids in the XML file with all the names of civilizations. There might be more, ask embryodead. And I think an interesting UHV for Portugal would be "Control all Indian Ocean ports by X", replacing UHV 1 (which is far too easy right now).

UUs UBs, and UPs
I plan to make all the civs playable and add a 2nd UU and UB, possibly even a third. Does anybody have any suggestions for these and UHVs?

My plan for Portugal is
UU: Carrack (replaces Caravel - already in SoI)
UB: Feitoria (already in SoI as Estado de India building - will change so it is Porgual's unique Building)
UP: Empire of Portugal: All maintanance costs halved (represents how the Portuguese overseas provinces were sponsored by the government of mainland Portugal)

UHV1: Control all core and border Provinces by 1550
UHV2: Have 10,000 gold by 1600
UHV3: Have 11 unique resources by 1650

About UHV3: Easy
In Portugal Core&Border provinces contain 24 out of 42 total unique resources:D (without the resources that may arise during the game - good events and discovering in mines)

List1(total):
Spoiler :
iron 1
dates 1
gems 1
pig 1
cows 1
horses 1
dye 2
coffee 2
copper 2
camels 2
sheep 2
citrus 2
sorghum 3
whales 3
salt 3
fish 3
silver 3
marble 3
sulfur 3
clams 3
spices 4
crabs 4
pearls 6
incense 7

List2(in the provinces):
Spoiler :
Goa:dye,whales,incense,spices,spices;
Maharashtra:fish,crabs,dye,sulfur,cows,incense,spices,pig,sorghum,gems;
Oman:whales,fish,clams,pearl,silver,copper,sulfur,camels,citrus,figs,sheep,marble,sorghum,spices;
Ormuz:silver,sulfur,clams,salt;
Mahran:crabs,fish,iron,dates(actually in Balochistane,but easily covered cultural boundaries of Gwadar);
Hadramaut:coffee,incense,incense,pearls,clams;
Yemen:coffee,sorghum,incense,incense,pearls,marble,marble,silver,camels,salt,crab,citrus,copper,sheep;
Mahra:crabs,pearls,horses,incense;
Socotra:whales;
Bahrain:salt,pearls,pearls;

Bonus:
Found/capture Massawa - clams,sulfur,incense,spices;
Capture Mekkah - gold, camels, pearls, clams;
Capture Shiraz - wine, cotton,silver ;
Raze or capture Vijayanagar - coffee, ivory;

My suggestion:
UP - Estado de India spread in all Portugal cities, halfed :hammers: for Feitoria or Estado de India receives a bonus of Silk, Opium, Hemp, Cotton
UB - Shipyard (replaced drydock, no:yuck:, +3XP)
UHV3: control 30 unique resources or any 18 unique resources 4 each
P.S. Other suggestion later

There are names for Venice, Genoa, and Jalayrids in the XML file with all the names of civilizations. There might be more, ask embryodead. And I think an interesting UHV for Portugal would be "Control all Indian Ocean ports by X", replacing UHV 1 (which is far too easy right now).
I will, thanks.
That's a good Idea, but I think I would prefer "Control all Indian Ocean ports not in Hindustan" Conquering all of Coastal India is too hard and ahistorical IMHO.
My suggestion:
UP - Estado de India spread in all Portugal cities, halfed for Feitoria or Estado de India receives a bonus of Silk, Opium, Hemp, Cotton
UB - Shipyard (replaced drydock, no, +3XP)
UHV3: control 30 unique resources or any 18 unique resources 4 each
P.S. Other suggestion later
What's wrong with my UP and UB ideas.
And I think for UHV 3 28 unique resources would be better

Top Bottom