1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Module] No More Terraforming

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Milaga, Aug 19, 2010.

1. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

Think it's just the deepening ritual that does that, and yeah it's permanent too.
    The question is, whether the deepening is actually worth the hammer investment if it's made to be only a temporary effect? I agree that it's really annoying though :D

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

No, the only ritual of that nature is the Deepening, which is temporary.

Far worse would be the Frozen, with their blizzards.

3. Milaga

Milaga Prince

Blizzards are indeed permanent. I'm fine with that, so long as wiping out the Frozen destroyed all blizzards.

4. Valkrionn

Well, Blizzards tend to be temporary, but have the ability to be permanent. :lol:

It should be modified to use the Climate mechanic, really.

5. odalrick

odalrick Emperor

Forests are able to autospread through Lanun lands. That does not mean that Lanun autoterraform their lands. I just don't see plants growing as terraforming. If that is the definition of terraforming every civ that builds improvements terraform.

6. Valkrionn

Given that they only naturally grow within Scion lands, I think it is a valid term to apply to them.

It may not be the standard type of terraforming, but the ability to change any feature into one specific feature automatically is not the same as forests or jungles simply growing.

7. Wauthan

Wauthan Inaniloquent Nihiliarian

Is there a way to increase the chance of jungles spreading into new tiles? Nature mana? Some kind of improvement (Orbis uses foresters lodge)? Besides that that I really like this module for the Mazatl. Makes me fight to preserve as much jungle as possible on the map. Even went so far as to declare war on the damn vampires in my last game. Bastards were clear-cutting most of the worlds jungles when I had clearly called dibs on that area as my overseas expansion point. :mad:

"We are jungle power, and nothing can stop us!" - Mazatl proverb (slightly stolen from curryworms movie)

8. Meldon

Meldon Warlord

If you're still working on this modmodmod, I think taking out the Bear and Burt Wings constellation's terraforming effects, or making them temporary, would be a good idea. Seriously, since when does one cold winter permanently turn the region into tundra?

9. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

that will be fixed in the next (modular) version of RifeMoreEvents

10. Milaga

Milaga Prince

I am still developing this module, but I need to wait for the 1.31 release before any changes to events will work. I do plan on fixing the events, but I'll probably just wait until BI fixes them and then steal, I mean copy, his work. :)

11. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

it's already done and working, just waiting for 1.31 so that events can be fully modular. ( and some little code issues with a new feature, but that will be solved)

12. Valkrionn

Won't have to steal that event code at all, seeing as I'm pretty much planning to include BI's module with 1.31. People can turn it off if they don't want the events. :p

13. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

What module is that exactly?

14. Valkrionn

One that is not released yet. It requires code in the 1.31 dev version. Black_Imperator happens to be one of the people who has access to that.

15. Milaga

Milaga Prince

Which is why we all wait in anticipation for 1.31.

16. Quetz

Quetz The Tallest Lilliputian

Thanks a lot for this little modmodmod. I had honestly given up RiFE a long time ago (I was playing it back when it was just Malakim+ :) ) because it seemed silly to me that the Malakim turned everything into desert just by existing. Or that any kind of human would WANT to live in a desert at all >.> But anyways, much approve of this

17. Ari Rahikkala

Ari Rahikkala Chieftain

It would still be sort of better if this mod allowed the Malakim to build roads on deserts. Unless I missed something, roads don't connect to adjacent desert tiles, so you can't connect up outlying resources unless there's a convenient river around.

Other than that, I absolutely love these changes, especially the spells. I always thought that scorch and spring were just out of whack. Vitalize is properly placed as a third-tier spell, and bloom as a (divine) second-tier one, having more flexibility with a couple of first-tier spells as vitalize has on the third tier is just complete abuse. I can see the new spells being useful especially for civs that build a lot of adepts, for purposes like quickly growing new cities far from rivers (especially pre-construction).

(not to mention the removal of autoterraforming. I can see the D'Teshi bringing death and transforming everything in the countryside into greyish dust everywhere they go. I can't see the Malakim turning everywhere they live into desert, willfully or not. There's plenty of desert on a standard-sized map anyway, and this change gives them extra flexibility and interesting strategic choices.)