[BTS] Monarch Shadow Game

Main benefit of Currency is trading for gold and gpt, techs and resources respectively. Also, building wealth. Ofc, extra trade routes boost commerce overall empire wide. Regardless of what some pros say, I still regard it as one of the most important techs in the game, whether one techs it themselves or trades for it. It opens things up wide.

Markets are junk, as are most buildings. Pretty much every building is situational after the granary.

Yeah, if going space, you might build more things later so cities can grow when your production will be high in many cities anyway, but for a good portion of the game you will focus on research, great folks, and killing all the things.

Regardless of what some pros say, I still regard it as one of the most important techs in the game
I agree. In my view, it's probably the most important tech in the game after worker techs (agriculture etc). It gives you so many options and is important for the rest of the game. In some games it's a struggle to crawl to Currency, and once there, you are fine, you are safe, the economy will recover, and you can sell your crap for hundreds of gold.

I think currency is a luxury. For me, the biggest benefits are tech selling and resource trades and you get them once AIs have currency. That's why it's a better tech on lower levels. I don't think building wealth is that important as you won't (well, shouldn't) be working many :hammers:-tiles anyway and there is always failgold (though that is stronger on deity, too).

Guess this is starting to de-rail too much. :)

I think currency is a luxury. For me, the biggest benefits are tech selling and resource trades and you get them once AIs have currency. That's why it's a better tech on lower levels. I don't think building wealth is that important as you won't (well, shouldn't) be working many :hammers:-tiles anyway and there is always failgold (though that is stronger on deity, too).

Guess this is starting to de-rail too much. :)

What's the rationale for why you shouldn't be working :hammers:-tiles? Is it that :hammers: tiles tend to be :food:-negative so it is better to work green tiles (farms or cottages) and rely on the whip for production? Does this hold true for non-riverside cottages vs grass hill too?

Yup :hammers: tiles are bad for food (with the exception of resis on green land), or something like cows.
Also they will never improve while cottages do.

Slavery makes production pointless in many cases, i consider that a major flaw in game design and prolly IVs biggest weakness.
Lucky that managing slavery can be fun thou, but it's just huuugely overpowered.

Currency..imo it's situational if we look at self-teching or waiting for a trade.
In an easy game (depending on skill level and AIs) currency can snowball us further ahead, but if i am pressed there are several techs that compete - mainly for trade value.
Compass i.e. can have much more self-tech value if i can get trades with almost every AI for it, while some AIs already have currency or are on their way.

I'm back! The last few weeks have been incredibly busy...

I restarted from somewhere in the BCs, and focused on finishing off Alexander instead of building markets and other buildings. I captured Athens this turn and got a Great General. What should I do with it? I usually go for combat VI, but would a "super medic" or special building be better?

Alexander also got a GG (in Athens, of course) right before I captured his city. I don't see it in Corinth, so where did it go? I assume that I must have killed it.

I also built a city to the SW to take advantage of the Iron. I don't know if it was the best location, but it has three FPs and more GLs than if I had built to the S of the Iron.

Overall, my worker management and teching seemed to be better this run.

Attachments

• SaintSaens_Op61 AD-0125.CivBeyondSwordSave
    262.4 KB · Views: 25
1st GG almost always goes to supermedic.

Now I have some interesting diplomatic choices to make. SB just DoWed Ragnar, and I founded Taoism. This looks like an opportunity to double team SB. Would that be a good idea? Also, should I adopt Taoism, switch to another religion, or stay with Buddhism?

Attachments

• SaintSaens_Op61 AD-0350.CivBeyondSwordSave
    275.7 KB · Views: 21
At work computer, so can't open save. Don't adopt Taoism as you'll make everyone mad at you. What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching from Buddhism to another religion?

PS: Best practice is to also upload a screenshot of the situation with the save.

PS: Best practice is to also upload a screenshot of the situation with the save.
Will do

Spoiler :

Buddism is the most widely spread religion but Cyrus has now switched to Confucianism. If I also switched to Confucianism, then Cyrus would go to Pleased.
2020-10-05.png

Top Bottom