1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It actually brought to my mind an idea of an ancient era type of scenario with the far flung trade of flint, shells, etc.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  2. anonxanemone

anonxanemone Warlord

Also the limited number of heroes (especially on larger maps with more civs) makes them the least impactful game mode IMHO. It doesn't integrate other systems like Secret Societies mode does. But I still consider Heroes & Legends mode to be fun and best represents the spirit of Civilization franchise as it thematically celebrates stories passed down through generations. Monopolies & Coorporations seems a lot more involved in integrating various systems in the game, which I am very excited for.

3. goatdeer

goatdeer Chieftain

I am genuinely hyped with the new additions, but it seems like a very big missed opportunity that they did not implement the economic victory here. The game mode itself seems to be quite complex, at least more complex than for example the diplomatic or the religious victory mechanics. The economic victory could be something like, having n amount of monopolies. Perhaps this could be modded?

Also that raises the question, do traded luxuries count towards the monopoly conditions?

snakeboy and Ticio like this.
  4. kryat

kryat King

On the note of sea resources, they might be easier to get with Maui, since there’s a lot less variation in sea than on land. So after a couple eras, you could start swinging them to you. Also, Maui and Anansi sound really interesting in this mode, since they can both control the denominators.

5. Ticio

Ticio Prince

I hope so, that would be sick! I love to get the more gold possible in all my games, but it just feel a little hollow, I just spend it to accelerate other victories conditions but is not stimulating...

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Ah yes. Use Anansi to eliminate the competition.

rlw33, Banazir864, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Honestly I prefer that economy is the means rather than the end.

8. Ticio

Ticio Prince

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  9. goatdeer

goatdeer Chieftain

And what about cloves and cinnamon? So many questions! Such hype!

Ticio likes this.
  10. Starina

Starina Warlord

I wonder if it is possible to create a monopoly if the enemy used Colaeus?
    John Spilsbury and others can create a monopoly? probably not )))))

11. Ticio

Ticio Prince

Yeah! that is a good question... I don't think they have this issue in mind.. probably Zanzibar will remain as always.

Banazir864 likes this.
  12. goatdeer

goatdeer Chieftain

Probably right so. I expect the same for the luxuries you get from great merchants (toys, jeans, cosmetics)

13. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

I think they are just like a Cosmetics or Perfumes an off-map luxury that means you can't build any improvement on them. Industries and Corporations basically are improvements, so it makes them out of the Civ tycoon business.

Myomoto likes this.
  14. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Would have liked to see an economic victory condition added along with it, but this will do.

15. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

You get those Luxuries, you get a free Monopoly.

16. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Also, in terms of the yields, the Coffee Product effect (+20 culture in the city, as shown in the video) means it is basically a Broadway.

One more reason to not build Broadway.jpg

17. Mr. Salt

Mr. Salt Warlord

Personally, I'm a little bit disappointed that it only works on luxury resources. You mean to tell me there's no virtue in a corporation with a monopoly on oil? I can think of a major world power that disagrees.

rlw33, conorbebe, Pfeffersack and 6 others like this.
  18. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

just now realising that we've only seen how industry/corporation improvements look on land... but what about water? pearls, whales, turtles, and coastal amber all use fishing boats normally... how do they show a corporation out in the middle of the ocean? just put an few buildings on a platform maybe?

19. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

I think for balance reasons having a monopoly on strategic resources is already very strong. Unlike luxuries, you do get extra resources for owning multiple copies of them, and also unlike luxuries, every civ has a desire for coal/iron/oil/uranium. If you have all the oil in the world, you can already price gouge all you want.

20. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

I'd say the benefit of having a world monopoly on oil would be rolling over your enemies with tanks and artillery. :)