[NFP] Monopolies and Corporations Game Mode Discussion Thread

"1 Continent will always spawn 4 types of Luxuries".
But that doesn't imply the 4 types of luxuries are only tied to 1 continent. Or do they?

IIRC they do - therefore a standard sized map will always have 16 different types of land luxuries (standard map has exactly 4 continents).

Only water-based luxuries will ignore this rule; so if you want to do a monopoly on water luxuries, you would be better RP as VOC or Great Britain, kick everyone else out of the coastlines. And speaking of that, I would say a water-based monopoly should have a much better effect, since it is much harder to achieve.

IIRC they do - therefore a standard sized map will always have 16 different types of land luxuries (standard map has exactly 4 continents). Only water-based luxuries will ignore this rule.
Cool, didn't know this. That argues for the existence of continents a little bit more, I thought the concept was under-used already.

Then I guess the set-up of sparsity and abundance changes the parameters.

Cool, didn't know this. That argues for the existence of continents a little bit more, I thought the concept was under-used already.

"Types of luxuries" is one of the biggest impact from the Continent mechanism. For instance, many min-maxers or civ speedrunners tend to play on a Huge map, since huge map=more continents=more luxuries=more luxury selling strategy to drain AI's income. It also encourages wide-play players to settle around new luxuries on the new continent, in order to support their empire.

Then I guess the set-up of sparsity and abundance changes the parameters.

I could be wrong, but IIRC "abundant" resource setting will only juice up the numbers of luxuries (which will make monopoly much harder if unlucky), not more types per continent.

Some HD renders of a few Industry/Corporations.

Cocoa Industry

Cocoa Corporation

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Mercury Industry

Mercury Corporation

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Silver Industry

Silver Corporation

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Wine Corporation

I wonder what Industries and Corporations put on Luxury Resources improved by Camps look like.

I could be wrong, but IIRC "abundant" resource setting will only juice up the numbers of luxuries (which will make monopoly much harder if unlucky), not more types per continent.
I'm relatively sure a sparse resource setting means that there are only a couple of luxuries around to share with many civs. I have been in situations that it felt like luxuries were very rare. But I draw this from experience, not from codes.

Someone some pages ago mentioned about wonders being altered to give GM's an additional boost, sort of like how Hanging Gardens and Oracle were changed for Heroes. Maybe Casa de Contratación could give GMs a boost since it was where the Spanish crown handled their New World trade monopoly affairs before moving it to Cádiz?

Maybe Casa de Contratación could give GMs a boost since it was where the Spanish crown handled their New World trade monopoly affairs before moving it to Cádiz?

I could imagine Casa de Contratación gives Great Merchant one extra charge like the Mausoleum, so they will not be consumed after compete a Corporation - which will be super powerful.

It wouldn't be too powerful compared to Mausoleum since Casa is mid-game/late Renaissance, and it also doesn't supercharge your city's science/culture yields. I guess it depends on when industries and corporations unlock.

I could imagine Casa de Contratación gives Great Merchant one extra charge like the Mausoleum, so they will not be consumed after compete a Corporation - which will be super powerful.

Great Zimbabwe is already a powerful wonder but perhaps there could be a little bonus for the Monopoly & Corporations mode?

Right, this is the game mode that excited me the most. I can say that is the only one that I'll use in most of my games.

No fantasy, thanks God.

On the other hand, I think that we'll have more gold than we'll be able to spend, but I think that a mod can balance this.

I thought that gold inflation was built into the mode. Did I get that wrong?

Looks good.

We knew we were getting a corporations. I’d really hoped FXS would do more with the concept rather than just defaulting to “resources” and “monopolies”. But no, sigh, we’ve gone with the Civ standard approach. Bit of a missed opportunity.

But then. It does look very well done. Very, very well done. I very much like the new uses for Stock Exchanges and Sea Ports and Great Merchants. There are some nice touches too, like being able to name corporations yourself. And I love that it’s another thing on the map. I expect too that if FXS had gone in new direction it would have been much harder to get right and would have just annoyed people that wanted a corporation mode more similar to previous Civ games.

Feels quite like secret societies in a way. I wish a bit that they’d taken a slightly more interesting approach, but you can’t deny its pretty good mechanically and has lots of flavour, and ultimately it’s something I’m probably just going to leave on all game.

Other random thoughts. Downsides. Are there any downsides to corporations or this game mode, or is another “moar yieldz” mode? Like, is there a risk of a stock market crash or financial crisis or runaway inflation. Guess not.

Colonial. I wonder how this works with Colonial bonuses? Perhaps I want to build Corporations etc on foreign continents so I can stack the +% bonuses?

World Congress, Governors and Policy Cards. Do any of these interact with Corporations etc.?

Strategic Resources. Pity it only works with Luxuries - no steel or coal industries, no oil monopolies. Oh well.

Overall it looks good. Looking forward to the DLC going live.

Another achievement idea I just had:
Cocoa for Texcoco
As Montezuma found a cocoa corporation in the city of Texcoco. :lol:

Looking forward to trying this out! Been wanting a reward for a luxury monopoly.

I really like the ideas behind Heroes mode, but as it is right now, it's basically start game, get Sinbad, win. Not a lot of fun.
Unless you're playing your first game with the mode on a highlands map and don't realize that he's restricted to water. :sad:

This will make a lot of those polar luxuries more attractive. I often see clumps of furs, diamonds and so on in unclaimed snow or tundra tiles. I don't think it'll make for an exodus to the poles, but it might be worthwhile if it swings control of a resource up to monopoly level.

Unless you're playing your first game with the mode on a highlands map and don't realize that he's restricted to water. :sad:
Well he's known as Sinbad the Sailor for a reason. :p

This will make a lot of those polar luxuries more attractive. I often see clumps of furs, diamonds and so on in unclaimed snow or tundra tiles. I don't think it'll make for an exodus to the poles, but it might be worthwhile if it swings control of a resource up to monopoly level.
Desert too.

Top Bottom