More Civilizations' Macedonian Empire for VP

Hi Dan the Pineapple,
I rly love this mod. However, I also tend to use Community Events as well and seeing this Civ having generic events sorta don't sit well for me. (other civ having unique things makes this civs a bit blander)
I saw somewhere that stated that you're not focusing on it atm (can't rmb where) so I tried adapting one for you.
I hope you can help me take a look at whether it'll work as I'm not sure how to install it in a way?

Code:
1st: Birth of a Great Individual
requirement(r): Renaissance
Description (D): "the man brings great news of the birth of an extraordinary individual"
The omens suggest this baby could either grow to make us great or destroy us! We must ensure it is the former!
what it does (WID): Birth of a great person

2nd: The Phalanx Formation
r: ironworking and 1 barracks in a city
D: "the stranger is a great war technician who brings ideas for new tactics in the field of war"
This is an interesting idea, it could be incorporated with our new sarissa pike
(WID): gain the Phalanx promotion (+cs for each neighbouring unit) and 3 spearman

3rd: Hellenic League
r: 1 courthouse
D: "Its a delegate representing the greek city-state, he brings news of a new of a possible union"
Excellent the dream of unification of a federation is neigh
(WID): +2 golden age points and +2 culture for courthouses, eligible units gain promotion to gain GA upon kill

4th: Crumbling Empire
r: Must not hit the Industrial era, at war with someone
D: "Its an envoy bringing news about the death of the Great General has brought the empire into a civil war"
This cannot be tolerated, I'll ensure the empire stay strong and prosper!
(WID): Barbs spawn at every city, 2 turns of resistance in all cities, A golden age begins and last 25% longer

5th: Aristotelian Influence
r: must have chosen the previous choice
D: "It's the great Aristotle, he brings new knowledge of Arts and Science to the empire"
A warm welcome to the great teacher and father of philosophy, may he bring more improvements to the empire
(WID): National Monument & School of Philosophy +2 culture and science, all guilds +1 science and culture

6th: Archaeological Heritage Sites
r: researched archaeology, 400gold (Scale)
D: "A foreign soldier found numerous archaeological works when digging their trench, he brought one to us as gratitude"
How dare you steal cultural heritage from the great Macedonian empire. Your actions will not be tolerated. Guards, away with them!
(WID): museum +1 culture and tourism, Landmarks +6 gold culture and tourism

Attachments

• Macedon.xml
    18.2 KB · Views: 64
They are all up to date, yes.

I will say, however, that the recent 3:c5production:3:c5gold: steroid to agribusiness farms means that the Kibbutz is actually only a so-so improvement over the Farm. The change to improvement which require an existing improvement on them in order to be built (ie. ancient ruins) means that the Kibbutz also only replaces the famr when it is finished construction. That's a nice quality of life improvement.

Farm gets +4:c5food:3:c5production:3:c5gold: (plus 2:c5food:1:c5production: from imperialism and 1:c5gold: from cathedral)
Kibbutz gets +5:c5food:3:c5science:3:c5culture:1:c5production:
Having to wait 5 eras to unlock a UI that only beats farms by 2 yields and a better quality of yield is pretty ridiculous.

I should probably address this in the Israel thread, but since you brought it up, perhaps give the Kibbutz the same buff Farms get from Agribusiness? Or a similar, smaller boost if that is too strong?

I should probably address this in the Israel thread, but since you brought it up, perhaps give the Kibbutz the same buff Farms get from Agribusiness? Or a similar, smaller boost if that is too strong?
the kibbutz unlocks at fertilizer anyways, so it would be more sensible just to add to the base stats of the UI. God-willing the agribusiness will be toned down next patch anyways, so no need to do anything too dramatic. Yet.

I haven't tested the events as I don't really know how to add it to the mod...
I made the events using Hokath civ events
Perhaps @Enginseer could give some insight?
as I understand it, the civ events will fire if I add these to the mod, even if you aren’t otherwise playing with extended events. It would be best if these were integrated into extended events, so they could be activated there. Otherwise, I can add it as a .txt file to the macedon split, and people can change the file type to .xml if they want to use it.

Hi Dan the amazing pineapple,

I've managed to run the events and test most of the events already and they seem to be running smoothly.
So just replace this xml file with the previous one in the support folder and add these two lines below to the MC_Greece_ModSupport.sql file as I can't send you the files

(these 2 lines)
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS CivilizationEvents(FileName);
INSERT INTO CivilizationEvents (FileName) VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_MC_MACEDON');

I understand that you were concerned with the fact of people not playing with events on, for that they can just turn off by ticking No Civ Specific Events in the setup menu.
Thanks to Hokath for helping me with the codes!

Attachments

• MC_Greece_ModSupport.xml
    46 KB · Views: 215
Only the two military units show up in the civ selection screen for me (playing with 4UC), is that WAI? It isnt a big deal for me, just wondering if it is a sign of something else being wrong.

(Also, the other PD-civs like khmer, inuits, israel etc are only showing three UC)

works fine on my PC, but this has happened to lots of people before.
Could be a mod load order issue. Go into the .modinfo files, add a space at the end of a line and then save. Sometimes changing the order in which the files were last edited makes them load in a different order.

If that fails, and you never plan to use these civs without 4UC, then you can simply remove the conditional triggers that gate the 4UC components.
1. search the folder for "BUILDING_GERMANY_TEUTONIC_ORDER"
2. Change any line that looks like this:
Code:
INSERT INTO Civilization_UnitClassOverrides
        (CivilizationType,             UnitClassType,             UnitType)
SELECT    'CIVILIZATION_PHOENICIA',     'UNITCLASS_SPEARMAN',     'UNIT_PHOENICIA_HABIRU'
WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Buildings WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_GERMANY_TEUTONIC_ORDER');
to this:
Code:
INSERT INTO Civilization_UnitClassOverrides
        (CivilizationType,             UnitClassType,             UnitType)
VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_PHOENICIA',     'UNITCLASS_SPEARMAN',     'UNIT_PHOENICIA_HABIRU');
Note the change from SELECT to VALUES, and make sure it ends with a semi-colon.
This change means the game will not look for 4UC before unlocking those extra components anymore (it's looking for Germany's unique wonder) and just give them to you by default.

*EDIT* Okay it works now with all of the civs when I turned off the "even more resources" mod. I would be a bad programmer for sure

Last edited:
Great Civ, I'm loving my first play as the real Alexander. The fun thing about this design is not only in the super-general/Strategos split, but actually the daisy chaining. It really feels like spreading Hellenism to various corners of the world, culturally diverse as they are. The three unique buildings are very thematic!

I managed to snag Hero Worship, God-King, and Veneration from another faction that founded that combo- it felt so amazing to adopt a religion basically mirroring Alexander's cult of personality.

Hetairoi set the tone as well. Phalangitai are solid, if unremarkable, as expected from a pikeman analogue. Their hammer-and-anvil bonus doesn't make itself visibly felt, but I'm sure I've benefited from it without really noticing. I wonder if it would be too one-dimensional to move Phalangitai to Philosophy, as I felt that they arrived a bit late into the Classical era, and the balance between Phalangitai/Hetairoi never really corrected itself until I firmly entered the Medieval period, upon which the Hetairoi became Knights anyway. It has to be said that Phalangitai are an ok downgrade from Longswordsmen throughout Medieval, so I saw their presence for a whole age anyways. But I never really had a period when Alexander's two most famous units really came together in the spirit of combined arms.

I had the same problem as another poster above, where the 3/4 components wouldn't load, but putting a space in the file as you said fixed it in a save-compatible way.

Phenomenal civ!

Update:

Hetairoi were just a little too good. nerfed to 15 CS.
GGeneral levels were maxing out too soon. Usually mid renaissance with decent warfare.
  • Increased levels of to World's End to 10 max, up from 6.
  • First level now gives +1 range and +5% aura strength
  • Each additional level now only increases aura strength by 5%. Max of 50% is still the same, but takes 4 more GGeneral births to reach max.

Katoikia now have retreat on attack, so melee units will fall back to the Katoikia after kills

Should the strategeion be the base UB, and the basilikoi be made the extra component? I’m just looking at the kit overall, and the strategeion/stratego/katoikia chain is more interesting and complex than the basilikoi, it covers the base civ’s inability to make citadels, and it unstacks both UCs from unlocking on the same tech.

thoughts?

No, but if it does that's awesome.

It does. Not a fan, personally. It's capable of completely disabling healing in your own territory, nevermind when trying to attack his cities that have one stationed inside. It ends up acting like a stronger Pilum that stays on upgrade.

It does. Not a fan, personally. It's capable of completely disabling healing in your own territory, nevermind when trying to attack his cities that have one stationed inside. It ends up acting like a stronger Pilum that stays on upgrade.
i bet @Milae feels silly skipping them now.

Will this be getting changed/fixed? I miss having Macedon in my games.

It uses the same code as base VP’s minelayer promo. So it will only change if base VP changes.

Top Bottom