• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Most Dreaded Leaders of All time

Most Dreaded Leaders of All time?

• Total voters
Then i voted other, Genghis was far more 'dreaded' than those guys because at least contemporaries felt they had some form of protection. Those folk at Merv had squat.

Though Ivan wasn't called the terrible for no reason.

Vlad the impaler as well.

See the problem with voting other? I would vote those three to be at least equal to Stalin/Mao etc if not more 'dreaded'.

Idi Amin? A JOKE????

They used to refer to Idi Amin as The "Hitler of Africa"
If Hitler had ruled Luxembourg, that'd be an apt comparison, but it's not. That doesn't change the fact that Idi Amin was a horrible person and a vicious murderer, but he wasn't fear-inspiring outside of the immediate vicinity of Uganda.

I would choose Stalin as the most dreaded leader in history, due to the terror he inspired in his entire country from the masses up to the top of government. Hitler was nowhere near as mental in his own country, and his atrocities were generally against foreigners or minorities- the general population in Germany and occupied western Europe were far less threatened than Stalin's people were.

Second place is tied between Hitler & Pol Pot- one had absolute quantity, one was worse in relative terms. Stalin had a huge dose of both, hence his being first.

I didn't vote Mao because he wasn't necessarily "dreaded". Certainly he caused a huge amount of death and suffering, but he himself was not solely responsible and the people in China worshipped him religiously. His state used Terror less than Pol Pot, Hitler or Stalin and hence was a disasterous leader, but not a dreaded leader per se. He might make the top 5, but certainly is far from the top 3.

I voted for Huynh Tan Phat because I thought he was Pol Pot (after all, he should have been in the poll and I didn't think Pol Pot was his real name). What is he doing in Pol Pot's place? He shouldn't even be in the poll, he was hardly any worse than Diem.

As for the others, Fidel Castro is about as malevolent as any dictator and no moreso. He compares favourably with the various juntas the US supported and with most African governments today. Certainly better than the current Saudi regime. He hardly belongs in the top ten, or even the top thirty.
Saddam Hussein was a more worthy contender, but still no match for the "Big 3".
Osama Bin Laden is about as dreaded as Michael Collins was in 1920. Not quite up there with Stalin, I think.
Kim Jong-il is quite mad and might well make the top ten, however reliable information about his government is lacking.
As for Idi Amin, he was quite bad, but still just a typical junta and not a mtach for the Big 3.

(after all, he should have been in the poll and I didn't think Pol Pot was his real name).
Yup- his real name was the suitably villainous-sounding "Saloth Sar". "Pol Pot" was, IIRC, an abbreviation of "Political Potential". Not sure why he decided to adopt this pseudonym, but he wasn't exactly a rational chap...

Of all time, I'd pick Attila, but Genghis Khan and Tamerlane are in the same league.

For the 20th century, I'd pick Stalin.

Of all time, I'd pick Attila
Good point- any leader dubbed the "Scourge of God" would have to be pretty scary, and this was back in the days when people were still willing to believe that barbarians tribes were dog-headed demons, or whatever...

A few times I read a story about Stalin beginning a radio speech, only to be interrupted by the audience, who were afraid they weren't being sichophantic enough, and no one dared to stop for fear of being singled out as the less enthusiastic. To the point that Stalin himself stepped in to stop the madness, and commanded in his mic: now I'll count to three... at three, you all, stop!

Surreal.

Top Bottom