Multiplayer livestream Thursday Oct. 20

There are a few different modes xungadrogado but basically you need to be a player that will stick with the game and you need to develop fairly fast decision making and movement,
Me? Too old and too slow for MP but looking forward to the stream.

Mods in multiplayer! Woohoo!

The gist of it seems to be:
- There are a couple of preinstalled mods that are balanced around short multiplayer matches
- Player made mods can also be used. The host can select the mods and all the others will automatically download the ones needed.
- The scenarios have unique victory conditions. Since they are mods, it seems likely that the modding system will allow modders to do something similar. Which is very promising for multiplayer games and modding in general. Might it be possible to end up with warcraft 3 style mods/minigames etc? Time will tell

Last edited:
They also mentioned Steam Workshop won't be integrated today or tomorrow but they'll keep us updated... unless I heard that wrong.

I do wish they'd enabled mods from day 1 and provided some introductory mods to use immediately, just as they did with XCom 2.

Ninja'd by SK. Maddjinn also already posted a tech tree mod if you want to start editing.

Edit - No turning unit auto-cycling off or renaming cities.

Last edited:
I'm speaking of solo play mods, not the multiplayer scenario mods they just showed off.

I hope everyone who said that MP would be non-functional at launch are watching, seems pretty functional to me so far.

One thing though bothers me from what i have seen so far is that looks like they failed to fix the Multiplayer AI problem. In CIV 4 when i was playing with my firends we turned on several AI's to make the game more spontaneous and dynamic and in CIV 4 AI always initiated negotiations, sent request for something when it needed it and it feeled that AI actually performed the role of another human player. In CIV 5 i was so frustrated by the fact that in multiplayer games AI never initiated anything, didnt send any requests, didnt show the urge to swap resources, ask money, demand that my tropps move away from the boarder etc. CIV 5 AI acted like passive dummies which u contacted only when YOU needed anything from them. I wonder if its anyhow fixable by patches/mods and, what's more important, does Firaxis are bothered with this problem.

One thing though bothers me from what i have seen so far is that looks like they failed to fix the Multiplayer AI problem. In CIV 4 when i was playing with my firends we turned on several AI's to make the game more spontaneous and dynamic and in CIV 4 AI always initiated negotiations, sent request for something when it needed it and it feeled that AI actually performed the role of another human player. In CIV 5 i was so frustrated by the fact that in multiplayer games AI never initiated anything, didnt send any requests, didnt show the urge to swap resources, ask money, demand that my tropps move away from the boarder etc. CIV 5 AI acted like passive dummies which u contacted only when YOU needed anything from them. I wonder if its anyhow fixable by patches/mods and, what's more important, does Firaxis are bothered with this problem.

I think that was intentional, to minimize the "luck" factor of AI interaction. But I agree it should be an option for people who want it (passive or active multiplayer AI).

Pochesun, how are you drawing that conclusion from this stream? there are no AIs playing.

I like these scenario ideas, I doubt I'd make it through a whole game but these could be good with a small group.

Hmmm.... City Ranged attack STR based on the strongest range unit your civ has produced.
"Has" produced? I thought it was "can" produce. So if you don't build newly teched ranged units, your cities will be highly vulnerable.

The multiplayer looks fun to me. Yes, "online" speed is the fastest speed; that's what they're using. Diplomacy is done through the in-game UI and through chat. They're playing a 50-turn ancient-era mod that gives points for tiles explored, tiles pillaged, civics researched, etc. It looks smoother and more fun to me than Civ V multiplayer.

Ed Beach said city-renaming isn't in for launch, but they will be implementing it soon.

Also, they noted that if horses are within 3 hexes of a barbarian camp, that camp will spawn horsemen etc instead of infantry. Interesting.

Top Bottom