Multipolarity IV Game Thread

Does anybody else get irked by this epilogue? Its like Tani twisted the world, unlikely as it was, into what he wanted the world to look like without any respect for the nations we all created and developed.

Nothing against you personally Tani, I merely wanted to make my extreme dissatisfaction with this 'ending' known.

hm. ill probably reclaim Cyprus. assuming it didn't unite into the Second Roman Empire, or something.

what Did Cyprus do all that time? assist the Antiochians?

hm. ill probably reclaim Cyprus. assuming it didn't unite into the Second Roman Empire, or something.

what Did Cyprus do all that time? assist the Antiochians?

Cyprus isn't important enough to be told what it does.

It's not unlikely at all.

For the Icelandic War: with the historical enmity and the fact Sweden was just couped, it's not hard to guess who was behind the nuclear attacks. Iceland would have been crushed by a PACIFIC force, the same way New America was.

The Leth, Syndies, Bosnia, etc. were all favorable towards a Security Council of sorts (I discussed this with them in the chatroom weeks ago) that would be able to rule the UN and press for reforms. They'd favor the SC ultimately but it was there. And there would surely have been a civil war over the subject, as the ending implies.

Also some creative imagination was taken given that the epilogue is not bound by mechanics. The main twist that was made was the Horde changing its perspective. The Syndicalists remain ardent international communists as they were during the game, Spartacus remains firmly opposed to slavery, Bosnia (which was due to collapse anyway as the ending prescribes) was firmly internationalist, etc. The characters of nearly every nation are preserved.

Does anybody else get irked by this epilogue? Its like Tani twisted the world, unlikely as it was, into what he wanted the world to look like without any respect for the nations we all created and developed.

Nothing against you personally Tani, I merely wanted to make my extreme dissatisfaction with this 'ending' known.

It seems more like Tani took many parts of the game to their logical conclusion while setting up an interesting premise for V.

I think you are just complaining for the sake of it, tbh. That and maybe a bit unhappy with your complete failure as New America.

It seems more like Tani took many parts of the game to their logical conclusion while setting up an interesting premise for V.

Reaching logical conclusions in a MP game is like reaching for the salad at McDonalds.

More or less this yes.

Iceland would have been torn apart by PACIFIC if the latter desired so.

Bosnia was due to collapse by revolt anyway; I'd have forced a peace as GM that would be favorable towards Antioch and Cyprus.

Germany was bound to collapse as soon as Bosnia got its house in order and siced a swarm on them; Arstotzka being allied with Austria that's a very realistic move for them to get involved as well.

The Horde may have a change of character, but let us remember Jehoshua's play style: while he can be aggressive he is also pragmatic. Whereas Mosher and Arya decided to stick their wars out (and both suffered the entire game because of it), as soon as Jehoshua's invasion ran into problems he quickly conceded defeat to avoid further losses. The Horde and 501st being more or less equal after the bombings they could have reached some sort of consensus; I may have chosen an idealistic peace but that's why I gave the 501st the carrot of joining EREI to match Kinich's opportunistic playstyle.

Tayloristan's been MIA for several turns but I decided to run with the general theme of a pro-African stance, coupled with pragmatism in the inability of Tayloristan to run the whole continent.

South America's a Zeta/Leth paradise, and since the Zetas have more or less been on warm terms with other powers this game, it wasn't hard for me to imagine them joining PACIFIC.

Counterweights being a natural thing, it's not hard to twist all European states into joining an alliance either once the German and Bosnian wars are finished, especially with PACIFIC occupation of Scandinavia goading them into action.

Azerbaijan was overstretched, and Krzowwh having been inactive the last two turns (not to mention vulnerable to Bosnia, the Horde and Antioch's intelligence agencies), I naturally viewed his nation as an expendable one.

I for one am enjoying this epilogue. Yay for MP V!

but let us remember Jehoshua's play style: while he can be aggressive he is also pragmatic. Whereas Mosher and Arya decided to stick their wars out (and both suffered the entire game because of it), as soon as Jehoshua's invasion ran into problems he quickly conceded defeat to avoid further losses

It wouldn't have been necessary to cut my losses if only a certain Sonereal (in particular since he actually said he would commit) and certain Red-Spy kept up there end of the arrangements made prior to the initialisation of the war. I got left hanging, where if everything had gone as planned the 501st would of been invaded from at least three, possible four sides.

Needless to say the power-landscape of world affairs would be very different, twould of been a world of Crimson Kings and Golden Masters, not of liberal functionaries and legionnaire clones. As it is though, I think it is fair to say that I was well on the way to re-instituting the Golden Horde as the pre-eminent Asian power.

As that plan didn't come to fruition though, I'm rolling with power pragmatism in the future of East Asia. :p

I think you overestimate how much power a group of countries that just got nuked to hell by several bombs each could bring to war, as well as underestimating how much of an advantage being across on ocean and on an island gives somebody. Not to mention that while I can see Finland abandoning him for any reason at all because of past actions, Denmark makes no sense, and I don't see how they would have made that large of a portion of their fleets anyhow.

Thats ignoring the fact that Iceland being the perpetrator is far from the foregone conclusion. Had it been that easy the world would have instantly rallied against New America after its own series of submarine launches. It could just have easily been the Horde, Siberia, Germany (don't say they couldn't marshal the resources for it alongside a war, PACIFIC apparently can wage war with impunity even after they were struck below the belt with nukes), or it could have been a newfound terrorist organization, one of the A-nations in eastern europe/ME. To be honest, it could have been anyone if you twist it right as almost anyone had the motivation against at least one of those nations.

Thats really my biggest issue with it. Iceland and the war. And the GM dictating how things could have gone when in fact the game itself shows that no matter how it looks like things are going to end up, they can always end up differently.

I think you overestimate how much power a group of countries that just got nuked to hell by several bombs each could bring to war,

Countries that still lead the world in income. By merit of having several very rich allies, who they'd be able to recruit.

as well as underestimating how much of an advantage being across on ocean and on an island gives somebody.

A lot of good it does you when your navy is vastly outnumbered and you are backstabbed because none of your allies view you as trustworthy.

Not to mention that while I can see Finland abandoning him for any reason at all because of past actions, Denmark makes no sense, and I don't see how they would have made that large of a portion of their fleets anyhow.

The same reason countries deserted Iceland en masse when they first invaded Sweden. Had Sweden peacefully integrated the effect wouldn't have been so great, but this was a coup. Give a man a second chance but never a third; no one trusts Iceland and will gladly trade Icelandic suzerainty for PACIFIC.

Thats ignoring the fact that Iceland being the perpetrator is far from the foregone conclusion. Had it been that easy the world would have instantly rallied against New America after its own series of submarine launches.

They were investigated to make sure the hunch was correct. There were already various resources wielded by PACIFIC and its friends in the country, with presumably even more to come now that PACIFIC was eyeing Europe and had to counter Icelandic power over Sweden. Tyo has, for example, been sowing discontent in Iceland for several turns.

The main issue would be no player EVER stole plans from another. But I'm taking creative license and assuming that the mechanics the game operated with do not apply in the context of a story.

And the GM dictating how things could have gone when in fact the game itself shows that no matter how it looks like things are going to end up, they can always end up differently.

Unfortunately, I'm writing the epilogue, so I'm allowed to take such initiative in deciding how the outcomes will be.

Then don't write an epilogue and leave the world as it was made by the players. Problems solved.

Only so much you could do after the game has run its course. This is ending the game where I think it should be ended.

Also arya I would agree with you had not tani have both the final word in HIS game, and the fact that most of us agreed that he should end it on the terms he sees most logical.

Never mind the game is pretty much in the hands of PACIFIC victory. 1/8 of the world's revenue is in the hands of the Leth, Syndicates, 501st, CSA and Spartacus WITHOUT counting their clients. About 1/3 of the nations are in their grasp as clients. PACIFIC has the world's most advanced nuclear program (and I remind you that each tier unlocked adds a +0.5% bonus to Infra growth), only rivaled by EREI which was set up by a GMPC. Their espionage and influence investments are considerable and they have some of the strongest economic setups in the world.

So I did the logical thing. PACIFIC wins.

Yes they were nuked, but I render that a non-issue by merit of most PACIFIC members still having a metric ton more income than Iceland by merit of their vast diplomatic realms.

While some are dissatisfied I think the epilogue is more or less acceptable.

Top Bottom