My take on stuff

-Removed carcass manufacture bonus; really, what nation doesn't have access to carcasses...

Early in the game... a lot. Getting carcasses is one of my top priorities because without them a whole swag of buildings are not possible. In one particular game I was not able to get it until I had my third city!

Toffer's C2C modmod v0.1.3.4 for SVN Rev.8756

-Mostly tech requirement changes.
-picked up some text changes by Sparth and TB from the SVN.
-Added a new prehistoric tech between gathering and herbalism.
-Up-adjusted building cost of the earliest buildings.
-Made animal migration event capable of happening in neutral territory so that meat. sources are not early guaranteed in every play-through.

Have you gone through the OLD civics, and seen what needs to be added to YOUR civics, meaning, the OLD civics had ALOT of buildings and i think certain units that needed a certain civic to get working correctly?? (I hope you understand this, including, you do know you need something like a garbage civic also, right?? (Something like this also)

Another thing to check on is the VERY old old old civics that the original ones Zapparra had. you might pick up some good ones there, they were gone over quite a bit back then . .

Have you gone through the OLD civics, and seen what needs to be added to YOUR civics, meaning, the OLD civics had ALOT of buildings and i think certain units that needed a certain civic to get working correctly?? (I hope you understand this, including, you do know you need something like a garbage civic also, right?? (Something like this also)

Another thing to check on is the VERY old old old civics that the original ones Zapparra had. you might pick up some good ones there, they were gone over quite a bit back then . .
I have taken the building aspect of the old civics into consideration up to this point. I concluded that garbage policies are a bit far fetched as one garbage disposal building should not exclude the others. Almost every nation uses many different forms of garbage disposal and it may differ from city to city; some cities have landfills some export their trash to a neighboring city in a different country and some do both. I will continue to evaluate civic restrictions for buildings, and if I get specific suggestions I will absolutely consider them. :)

If you feel I missed something, please, do tell; so it can be further discussed.

Where might I find the very old Zappara civic and building XMLs?

Ask JosEPh. As I recall, he's kept copies of many of the old RoM versions.

Ask JosEPh. As I recall, he's kept copies of many of the old RoM versions.

Nah all you need to do is d/l Rise of Mankind (the original) by Zap / / must still be working because in the download area, it just went up another 50,000 for some ODD reason . . someone playing around there . .:mad:

Toffer's C2C modmod v0.1.3.5 for SVN Rev.8756
Small update so TB can look at a bug I've encountered specific to this modmod.

-fixed neanderthal not spawning before 45 000 BC
-Fixed two big-ish xml errors for promotions.
-other small tweaks and fixing

I kinda wish there was an option to just download your building+promotion+tech tree changes without civics, they are bit too harsh for my taste and some incomplete.
AI struggle a lot with the civics, too specialized for AI.
(this is for v0.1.3.4, haven't tried new one yet)

I kinda wish there was an option to just download your building+promotion+tech tree changes without civics, they are bit too harsh for my taste and some incomplete.
AI struggle a lot with the civics, too specialized for AI.
(this is for v0.1.3.4, haven't tried new one yet)

I can understand that sentiment; perhaps some of that will be integrated to the SVN in time. I could update my promotion standalone modmod in the meantime though; but buildings and techs as a standalone would be more work than I want to commit right now.

Civics are still the main focus of this modmod and will evolve a lot over time. right now I've only covered the prehistoric ones, which is a shame. I keep getting distracted by all the other things I feel should be changed that it has almost halted my civic development efforts.

Toffer90. After V36 release.

I know you are slowly working on Civics, in between other things you are doing.

Can I make a suggestion, to slow down City expansion. (I play Noble/Prince) and on one of the 3 fastest speeds (depends on how I feel when starting a new game).

I know this may be not populer with some players.

Unless you are working on a major change to the Civic - Government.

Can you change them, so that the first 5 options give unhappiness with fewer cities.

Anarchism - 2 only. (currently 3)
Chiefdom - 4 only. (currently 6)
Despotism - 6 or 7 only. (currently 9)
Monarchy/Republic 8 or 9 only. (currently 12)

IMHO on easy levels it is still to easy to build lots of early Cities.

Toffer90. After V36 release.

I know you are slowly working on Civics, in between other things you are doing.

Can I make a suggestion, to slow down City expansion. (I play Noble/Prince) and on one of the 3 fastest speeds (depends on how I feel when starting a new game).

I know this may be not populer with some players.

Unless you are working on a major change to the Civic - Government.

Can you change them, so that the first 5 options give unhappiness with fewer cities.

Anarchism - 2 only. (currently 3)
Chiefdom - 4 only. (currently 6)
Despotism - 6 or 7 only. (currently 9)
Monarchy/Republic 8 or 9 only. (currently 12)

IMHO on easy levels it is still to easy to build lots of early Cities.

I will consider it, I actually had similar values in an earlier version of the modmod. But before I start tweaking that parameter I will try to further balance out the easier difficulties in a more direct fashion. Since I recently I brought AI's down to chieftain difficulties there is much room for improvements in the difficulty parameters that can be made without making the AI go broke in every game (an issue I encountered earlier in the modmod dev.).
Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I wasn't fully aware that the easier diffs were too easy to expand in as I only play-test deity and try to make it as hard as possible while not making it frustrating.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I wasn't fully aware that the easier diffs were too easy to expand in as I only play-test deity and try to make it as hard as possible while not making it frustrating.

As an example, in my previous game on my SEM+ map, (on Noble - Marathon) I had 20 cities very easly. Trying to mimic Rome. (That is, only hold territory Rome did - except my start position - which was in Crimea) Abandoned the game as no one wanted to attack me.

As an example, in my previous game on my SEM+ map, (on Noble - Marathon) I had 20 cities very easly. Trying to mimic Rome. (That is, only hold territory Rome did - except my start position - which was in Crimea) Abandoned the game as no one wanted to attack me.

So Noble is too easy for you (not surprising since it is still more equivalent to vanilla Chieftain). Rather than play Monarch, you want to make everyone else have to change to a lower difficulty. You've got to be kidding!

Besides, this is an easy change for you to make for yourself. For my Aotearoa game, I have been raising the limit on Monarchy (hint to Toffer: since having it at 12 where Hydro put it is really really stupid) to 45-50, every time I update.

Rather than play Monarch, you want to make everyone else have to change to a lower difficulty. You've got to be kidding!
You are taking his words out of proportions.

Setting it to 45-50 would be more or less the same as disabling the feature altogether, so I guess you hate it. I'm no big fan of the feature per say (its effect feels a bit artificial/forced) but it could be an effective way to stall early expansion regardless of difficulty if used correctly for the early civics (Prehistoric, Ancient).

You are taking his words out of proportions.

Setting it to 45-50 would be more or less the same as disabling the feature altogether, so I guess you hate it. I'm no big fan of the feature per say (its effect feels a bit artificial/forced) but it could be an effective way to stall early expansion regardless of difficulty if used correctly for the early civics (Prehistoric, Ancient).

You may have never had 100 cities, but that's no reason to assume it's impossible.
It is only Monarchy that I give this much latitude to (and the later civics which have no limits in the base mod - which is likewise crazy).

I leave Republic and Theocracy at 12 for realism purposes, but there are gameplay reasons why these should not be so limited either.

There is already Game start up Options that deal with reducing early number of Cities, are you using them harrier?

We have actually more than 1 that does this. Perhaps tweak them to acheive what you need and Suggest them as Recommended for your Map(s).

But if or when someone wants to impose these Option as You Must Play this way that I will vigorously oppose as I have in the past.

Even now with some of the recent bug fixes for v36 Gold/turn has been changed. Early expansion on levels above Noble is getting harder to do. Maybe give the v36 some play time and then reassess?

JosEPh

There is already Game start up Options that deal with reducing early number of Cities, are you using them harrier?

Gold/turn has been changed.
JosEPh

Yes, I do use those options.

It is not gold that is the problem in this instance - it is happiness.

With all the happiness you can get, to combat the happiness penalty per city. IMO it does not seem to be an effective restriction to slow growth with the current settings.

If it is a feature of the game it should work on all levels, with different degrees of severity.

Either fewer cities or more unhappiness per city.

But, as you say lets see how it plays out in V36 first. :)

I don't want to clutter Toffer's thread up any more than I have, but about happiness, with the changes right now to crime (and possibly the continued changes after v36) and some of the other things DH wants to do happiness will be harder to keep up.

JosEPh

Top Bottom