1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Napoleonic Sets

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by GeneralMatt, Jul 29, 2010.

1. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

Well, as I said earlier, I'm not a military historian, so I am a bit unsure which weapons hussars in general and hungarian huszárs in specific used. My guess is, that they had a single pistol which they used for long range attack (while on the way to the enemies position). Once they shot (oh hell, what's the simple past form of 'to shot'? :(), they switched to sabers, so no reload of the pistol. This ways, the colonizations dragoons weaponry may fit here as well, but might be problematic considering the pelisse and the animation. As the pelisse is a pretty nice feature, I'd second what you said and keep the pelisse and make this unit fight with sword solely. For the case that my assumptions about how hussars fought is right, I'd say, that this would at least fit better then making the unit fight with a rifle (as bernies hussars do). That actually appears to be unrealistic as I can't imagine how they could hit their target firing a that large weapon using only one hand. To tell a long story short: I support your plans.

@The Capo: No problem, take time. My avatar and the location I gave was not meant to hurry you, consider it a reminder ;)

2. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

To be sure, a lot of cavalry, even heavy cavalry, in the era were equipped with carbines, however the difficulty in aiming and firing from the saddle - accuracy of a smoothbore carbine being poor enough under normal circumstances - plusthe difficulty in reloading in the saddle meant that the time the sword, sabre, and lance was the main weapon in use while riding until at earliest the advent of repeaters.
    Yes they had pistols, but they were not the main weapon, and either way, I have yet to figure out how to attach working effects to custom animations.

Carbines would have been used when dismounted, or very rarely when mounted, hence my choice.

I don't actually have colonization, so using those animations are, sadly, not an option for me.

Past tense of 'to shoot'? 'Shot' would be correct, yes.

3. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

Well, if sharing modded units is okay for Firaxis, why should sharing colonization units then be? I mean, as long as they aren't shared along with all other files together. So, I could imagine that there is no problem if I upload a col dragoon for you if you want me to. But as I said, it's okay for me if you keep the unit the way you said. It's your choice.

Ah, so shoot is present while shot is past. Good to know, thanks!

4. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

I would actually say it would be best to avoid going there with the col dragoon altogether for now. The one time I was banned on CFC was due to the fact I had asked someone to send me along the frigate nif files about four or five years ago.
    I had Civ IV, but I was running it on Win98, so I couldn't run the unpacker myself.

Due to that, and the fact I don't even have Colonization I am somewhat wary, as being banned by Chieftess once is enough for me thank you very much. :p

5. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

You got banned for a question? Wow, that's hard...

6. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

In Colonization the dragoon has both a pistol and a sabre, that is what I was talking about. Sorry if that was confusing, I think that would be better overall. It shouldn't be that difficult for someone with your skill to transfer the models over to that animation, I could post it if you want it.

7. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

Yeah, I made the same offer, but he refused because he got banned once for similar reasons. Perhaps we should contact the moderators to see whether it's okay for them to post the colonization unit here? It's been a while since they banned him, opinions might have changed. On the other side, nobody wants GeneralMatt be banned, right? This would be the savest solution.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

...um...
    I think, a reskin of the Col dragoon would be nice, and if you then upload it to the database, then it fullfills it's use ;).

9. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

I certainly don't mind taking a look-see, but I just would prefer not to do anything illegal, and get in trouble with the staff.

10. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

Your experience with being banned is interesting as I have always wondered if anyone was paying attention to that stuff.

In addition, Dragoons were a type of unit that traditionally would move fast and fight dismounted. Hence the reason for being armed with rifles or carbines. They were a sort of skirmish type unit. Wheras proper cavalry types were often armed with pistols to fire into dense packed ranks at very close range during the melee after a charge. Hussars were simply a form of light cavalry and it is interesting to note that they usually did not wear any armor. Heavy cavalry was armored with a cuirass to give better protection from saber cuts and presumably bayonets.

Firaxis portrayal of the Dragoon is a bit historically inaccurate but were Civ is concerned, there isn't much one can do to distinguish the roles of the different types of cavalry.

11. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

By the Napoleonic Era dragoons as foot soldiers was not really being used any longer, by this point being primarily used as heavy cavalry.
    Cuirassiers wore armour yes, but they were about the only types that still did.
    Hussars, light dragoons, lancers, chevau-leger, all filled the light cavalry role in different ways.

At any rate, the pistol was never the main weapon, but I will certainly take a look.

When I was reprimanded it was quite early on, January of '06 so quite soon after the game came out, so they probably would have been still adjusting from Civ 3, nevertheless its not much of an issue, I would prefer not to rehash it as there is no real point to it, other than to say I would rather it not happen again.

12. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

Hey, I just made a k.u.k. dragoon reskin: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15145. It's based on the picture given here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.u.k._Dragoner. Let me know what you think about it. Ah, and for those who wonder that I've included the kfm and kf files - that's because cfkane reported problems regarding win7 and freeze-mode. Keeping these files in the same folder as the modded unit and then make a reference to them in the xml should solve the issue. As this unit should be usable for users without col, too, I couldn't see any other way then including these files in my package... Have fun!

13. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

Ah splendid, splendid. :goodjob:

On a similar note, has The_Coyote or anyone else posted instructions how to add effects to custom Blender animations? Has anyone even figured it out?
    I ask because I just did last night (and am therefore rather excited) so I thought I might write up a post on it, if there wasn't one already (and I could not find one before.)

14. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

Could you give an example for what you mean with 'effects' please? The only effects I could think of are either gloss and stuff like that or fire or smoke effects. The former has nothing to do with animations and I don't think that's what you mean. The latter might depend somehow on the animations, but I have no clue how smoke or fire could be used for units like these. Anyways, I can't think of a tutorial that would cover stuff like this, but it's been a while since I've taken a closer look at the tutorials section. You might view the first 2 pages of the tutorial section, the index thread and coyotes tutorial(s). If you can't find anything, I believe there should be no problems if you write a new tutorial about what you found out.

15. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

By effects I mean basically explosions, smoke, footsteps, even sounds which are important to the animation.
    Previously I was not able to create custom animations with these activated making the custom animation basically worthless however last night I found a way to activate them in the animation via Nifskope and I was just wondering if it had been previously documented.

16. cool3a2

cool3a2 Chieftain

Hmmm... I suppose if it is documented, then by The_Coyote. Have a look at his tutorial. He deals with animations, but I don't remember that he mentioned things like that.

17. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

I apologise for the slightly quiet past week or so. I have been really busy with some other real life things, but I have been puttering along and I am almost done.

I looked at the Colonization animations and they look quite useful however at this stage I don't want to have to redo the set.
    I intend to use the animations for perhaps an earlier dragoon or a later one, I am not sure yet, but I do intend to make use of them.

18. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

This is some excellent, excellent stuff! My sincerest compliments! Now, is there a good Napoleonic Scenario to paste these artworks into? Does anyone know of such a scenario?

I must have a look around myself right away!

19. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

Unfortunately I do not know of any for BTS, surprisingly, though if you come across any, please share.

And without further ado, late enough already, the Prussian Hussar.

Spoiler :

I intend to do a Uhlan for Russia, so that should make for some interesting flavour.

20. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Chieftain

I am almost done the set, just a light dragoon for the US of A to go, and I am done.

Russian Uhlan
    Spoiler :