1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Never-Before-Seen Civs Poll

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Kingmaker, Jan 29, 2018.

?

Which of these civs do you want to see in the future? (Choose 7)

1. Apache/Navajo/etc.

104 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Argentina

43 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Armenia

44 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Ashanti

70 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. Benin/Dahomey

39 vote(s)
    13.8%
  6. Bulgaria/Thrace

37 vote(s)
    13.1%
  7. Burma

39 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Canada

57 vote(s)
    20.1%
  9. Cherokee/Creek/Choctaw/etc.

65 vote(s)
    23.0%
  10. Colombia (or Gran Colombia)

66 vote(s)
    23.3%
  11. Etruria

8 vote(s)
    2.8%
  12. Gothia (any Goths)

58 vote(s)
    20.5%
  13. Haida/Tlingit

40 vote(s)
    14.1%
  14. Hebrews/Israel

81 vote(s)
    28.6%
  15. Hungary

94 vote(s)
    33.2%
  16. Inuit

59 vote(s)
    20.8%
  17. Ireland

46 vote(s)
    16.3%
  18. Italy (including Florence, Genoa, etc.)

117 vote(s)
    41.3%
  19. Kilwa/Swahili

51 vote(s)
    18.0%
  20. Lydia/Pontus/Kappadokia/etc.

14 vote(s)
    4.9%
  21. Mughals

50 vote(s)
    17.7%
  22. Palmyra/Syria/Nabataea/etc.

29 vote(s)
    10.2%
  23. Phoenicia/Canaanites

71 vote(s)
    25.1%
  24. Romania/Wallachia

42 vote(s)
    14.8%
  25. Shawnee

11 vote(s)
    3.9%
  26. Tibet

73 vote(s)
    25.8%
  27. Vietnam

130 vote(s)
    45.9%
  28. Ukraine/Kievan Rus'

30 vote(s)
    10.6%
  29. Zimbabwe/Mutapa

51 vote(s)
    18.0%
  30. Other

48 vote(s)
    17.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I don't disagree with this assessment, and it's one of many reasons I dislike Boudicca. However, Civ has a long history of turning collections of culturally unified city-states into civs (Greeks, Maya, etc.) or even unaffiliated bands into civs (Scythia) or even utterly disparate cultures into civs (Civ5 Celts). Damascus, Aleppo, Palmyra, and other Aramaic-speaking city-states in the highlands between Mesopotamia and Canaan were often politically independent (or independent-but-tributary) and often held considerable political sway over Canaan and sometimes even extending into Anatolia. I would be miffed if we got Zenobia over Babylon or Assyria, of course, but as an "also" I think it's a compelling solution: the Aramaean petty kingdoms lack compelling leaders, and Zenobia lacks a civ--making Zenobia lead a civ called "Aram" or even "Syria" solves both problems IMO.

I'm not sure that's true. She's been a popular subject for artists and historical novelists for ages.

Guandao likes this.
  2. Patine

Patine Chieftain

Although, in Age of Empires I by Ensemble Studios (I know, I keep comparing civ choices between Sid Meier and Ensemble - but what can I say, I love strategy games of all sorts and makes), Palmyra is represented as a civ - then again, the Huns appear as a full civ in Age of Empires 2, despite Sid Meier seeming to traditionally like to reserving "Attila," as the default barbarian leader name.

Zaarin likes this.
  3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Well, some Hungarian nationalists claim descent from the Huns too....:p
    I recall my old Professor who claimed Sumerian was an Indo-European language simply because it's agglutinative (or something like that).

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Patine

Patine Chieftain

"We're all from Africa originally." Rachel Dolentz.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Guandao likes this.
  5. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Of interest, I've heard people say we are all from Europe, and heard people say we are all from East Asia, and of course I've also heard people say we are all from the Middle East. It's funny how humans can't agree on anything, lol.

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  6. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

:lol:

7. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

Geez, it would be so stupid if some civ game featured Huns as "civilization". They are the personification of barbarians. There wouldn't be even city list for them and devs would have to do some ridiculous, immersion-breaking gimmick with it.

Depravo, Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

The "Huns" are already in the game though. They are the barb camps that spawn next to horses. ;)

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

While historical influence is a complex question, and subjective to some extent, that's an interesting opinion to have.
    I would say Hungary had at least as much influence as Poland or Austria (being dominant in the area between the 9th and 16th centuries), and definitely had way more influence than Bulgaria (which was truly powerful for a much shorter time).
    Also I really doubt that Hun support is significant, or even exists, on Hungary/Magyars (which is the same btw).

Zaarin likes this.
  10. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

Never-Before-Seen Civs Poll

I'm just referencing here because I don't want to write it out again. I don't think people actually believe Hungary is the Huns (they could be, we're not entirely sure, but probably not). I just believe that Hungary has sort of taken up the mantle of "the Hun civ," an easy horseback civ in the general vicinity for those fearing change to latch on to. It's the same reason why, now that Scotland was included, people are clamoring for a "proper" Celtic civ with Gaul. Or why if Peru became a civ, the Muisca would suddenly become the most requested civ in the region as a spiritual successor to the Inca. Fans pivot to the nearest analogue when they presume their most comfortable option is closed off. Hungary is the closest analogue to the Huns in the popular sphere. It's not an accurate association, given that Bulgaria is a much better analogue, but popular association is a matter of memetics and memetics don't care about optimization so much as familiarity.

11. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

Just like your statement in a different thread here. About Poland stealing the Hussars from Hungary. Totally off base. Hussars were used by several European countries as cavalry corps. Not only by Hungarians and Poles. Polish ones, however were UNIQUE due to being heavy cavalry (typical Hussars are light cavalry) and by having "wings". Two very different units.

And here, stating about Scythia and Poland being boring and same variation of backwater religion, and they let you post again after that?
    You should be made to publicly apologize to the Polish community using this site.

You don't like playing as them, fine (you don't have to with Poland, just don't buy their dlc), just don't thrash countries like that, have some class.

12. Havendish

Havendish Chieftain

You are a typical polish ignorant. How long did it take you to come up with this list? Do you know people work full time, have no chance to look everything up on other posts but have ideas they want to add to the discussion. Yes, Wends were different from Samo's "empire" but Samo, along with Dragovit or Niklot would make for a fine Western Slavic-pagan (practising Slavic Polytheism) leader. Read about him, he came from the West, converted to Slavian faith and fought the Franks with success before his empire collapsed.

You are just like that PhoenixGold...whatever the nick of the person frequenting these forums here. You are full of yourself and unwilling to participate in a discussion without picking on another person, country or nation in order to make yourself look more intelligent. I've seen your posts about the need to disclude Sweden from the game, and your threads about what civs you don't want in the game (like that Phoenix guy's hate on Byzantium) and your reasons for disliking them. Why do you dislike so many people, is it common in Poland to be so xenophobic? Stop attacking other players and nations and prove your intellignce here in a proper and gentle manner.

Ignorance prevails here.

Half of the tribes you used in your post I posted up before on this site's Ideas and Suggestions forum either as Havendish or daft-years ago, because that was my former nick here.
    I came up with several ideas (and tribes to be included in the game) that you and the likes of you now try and claim for themselves.
    Alas, for now, I'm done with this crap and annoying and ignorant people such as yourself.
    bye krajzen (crazy-en)

Moderator Action: This post is both trolling and flaming. Please do not treat other forum members in this way. leif
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
  13. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

My ancestors were Polish, first of all, so I won't apologize. And secondly, if the most "identity" a civ can muster is being regressively, stagnantly devout and loves "ridin' horses," then I have every right to call it backwater. That's what it is. If Poland had anything to be proud of past the 1800s, it would have more to rally around than Jesus, but it doesn't. Same thing with Georgia. At least Spain actually accomplished something with its religion.

14. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I like the idea of the Huns as a minor Civ, actually. But one which doesn't start with settlers, but with a larger army (spawns around the medieval era at the edge of the map) Once they capture one or two cities, you can send them envoys, just like you would with a City State.

It's not even the Huns who could benefit from this treatment. There are several ethnic groups which could as well, including

- Hyksos
    - Sea People
    - Timurids
    - Khazars
    - Avars
    - Goths
    - Allemanni
    - Crusaders
    - Haida/Tlingit
    - Chocktaw/Cherokee
    - Umayyads
    - Seljuks