1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Never-Before-Seen Civs Poll

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Kingmaker, Jan 29, 2018.

?

Which of these civs do you want to see in the future? (Choose 7)

1. Apache/Navajo/etc.

114 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Argentina

49 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Armenia

48 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Ashanti

76 vote(s)
    24.9%
  5. Benin/Dahomey

41 vote(s)
    13.4%
  6. Bulgaria/Thrace

40 vote(s)
    13.1%
  7. Burma

45 vote(s)
    14.8%
  8. Canada

59 vote(s)
    19.3%
  9. Cherokee/Creek/Choctaw/etc.

66 vote(s)
    21.6%
  10. Colombia (or Gran Colombia)

70 vote(s)
    23.0%
  11. Etruria

10 vote(s)
    3.3%
  12. Gothia (any Goths)

60 vote(s)
    19.7%
  13. Haida/Tlingit

44 vote(s)
    14.4%
  14. Hebrews/Israel

88 vote(s)
    28.9%
  15. Hungary

97 vote(s)
    31.8%
  16. Inuit

62 vote(s)
    20.3%
  17. Ireland

50 vote(s)
    16.4%
  18. Italy (including Florence, Genoa, etc.)

124 vote(s)
    40.7%
  19. Kilwa/Swahili

55 vote(s)
    18.0%
  20. Lydia/Pontus/Kappadokia/etc.

14 vote(s)
    4.6%
  21. Mughals

55 vote(s)
    18.0%
  22. Palmyra/Syria/Nabataea/etc.

32 vote(s)
    10.5%
  23. Phoenicia/Canaanites

74 vote(s)
    24.3%
  24. Romania/Wallachia

43 vote(s)
    14.1%
  25. Shawnee

13 vote(s)
    4.3%
  26. Tibet

78 vote(s)
    25.6%
  27. Vietnam

140 vote(s)
    45.9%
  28. Ukraine/Kievan Rus'

33 vote(s)
    10.8%
  29. Zimbabwe/Mutapa

53 vote(s)
    17.4%
  30. Other

52 vote(s)
    17.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Mexico won't happen over the Maya, and it won't happen alongside the Maya. But it would sell like hotcakes so it is one of the most likely civs that would make DLC or expacks after the third one.

And I am not wondering at all. The Haida are competing with comparables like the Tlingit and Taino. The Mughals are competing with comparables like the Timurids. And Vietnam is competing with comparables like Burma and Siam. Absolutely none of these are clear cut frontrunners and actually I would say all three are not the frontrunners in their respective races. So I find your wondrance perplexingly presumptive.

2. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

What I kept saying is that when it comes to mechanics and art design, at the very least, Nepal aces it. Resonance with the player base is overall far more of a fault of the player base, which I'm trying to remedy whenever I can. Other than that, all your standards of "exceptionality" are incredibly subjective and personal and thus all my answers to that have been in the same degree.

The Ghurkas would NOT function like Georgia's. Lama? That's your proposal for a Tibetan UU? Seriously? And well, I really really doubt they'd go for something as polemic as the Viet Cong even if Vietnam is added as a civ.
    So, you're saying Nepal is just as worthy to be added as those other three civs then? Because earlier on you seem to have considered Nepal inferior to them... I'll also add that Nepal has never been conquered since it's formation as a state, which places them above all those other three you cited.

Oh my god, what "evidence" are you trying to pull here? How do you even judge who's "obvious" or not? You're the one who's somehow acting like your personal preferences have some objective standing to them, what do you even know about game design or market research? You say all that while criticising choices made by the very team that made this game, a team that includes many designers and market researchers! How can you even try to appeal to authority here? Get down of your high horse!

Xandinho and 679x like this.
  3. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

In the context of an expansion, yeah, Mexico has no chance over the Maya due to the geographical overlap. Maybe someday in DLC, in a civ with Brazil, Canada and Australia, it has to happen eventually.

you've got a point in Vietnam, the geographical clustering is a concern from what the devs have mentioned, but following that same idea, Haida occupies a very empty part of the map and is recognizable enough to at least be considered. I think the biggest problem against the inclusion of the Mughals is blob India rather than the Timurids themselves, (I wouldn't mind a Mughal leader for India tho) but if we consider India prevents The Mughals, then yeah, the Timurids would be a very nice alternative.

4. 679x

679x Warlord

Yo let's take a breather here, man. He gave his opinion, backed it up a bit, and you gave yours. You disagree with eachother, but surely you can do this without being completely rude about it - I saw you struggle with this in another thread too (though I happened to agree with you in that Italy one, yet still thought you were being pretty harsh to the guy who disagreed).

I think his point about the tigers and whatnot was just listing a handful of things that Nepal is known for, not necessarily things that could immediately translate into a civ ability and leader ability. Also, I'm pretty sure he was just vouching for Nepal instead of Tibet. He didn't say anything about Burma/Vietnam. Maybe he agrees that Burma/Vietnam should be included first, I dunno. His sole point was that Nepal should be considered as a civ in the place of Tibet, nothing else.

I wouldn't consider the Lama to be an obvious UU because it would be a civilian unit and IIRC we don't have any unique civilian units yet, though I would like to see some in Civ 6 eventually. Viet Cong would IMO also be a more stereotypical/controversial unit that would fit with the hypothesis that people want to see Vietnam more in Civ6 because it was a prominent US enemy, and I doubt that Firaxis would want to include it like that.

5. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

The tigers were just a passing remark, my main point is the existance of the Terai region, which is very fertile, and could lead to some agricultural bonus, or something related to floodplains, instead of just mountains, faith and culture. That this region has tigers was more meant to signify its opulence.

6. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

"Oh Georgia had a golden age, therefore they should be the golden age civ." Georgia is so much fun to play as. :/

Thank you for finally noting something superlative Nepal has done, namely never being conquered (well completely, anyway), instead of impressionistically arguing that "it has things." I will now cede your point, even though I think Burma would be a more efficient inclusion.

7. Jenniza

Jenniza Chieftain

The Hebrews [if that is what the general consensus wants to call the civilization] would be an interesting addition in my opinion. The Hebrew/Jewish culture/laws/people/distinct DNA have survived in one form or another for many thousands of years. I'm sure the creative minds of Firaxis with their historical researchers could do a fair and balanced representation, that is both sensitive to all the many customers and non-customers alike that would be curious about how Firaxis would treat this subject... as well as game-balanced with regard to all the other civilizations and fit into the Civilization Franchise. It may well have been some of this trepidation that has kept them from seriously pursuing this matter in the past. Maybe one day a time will come to pass when this will happen. Maybe Civ 7 or Civ 8. I'm patient. :D

8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Do you think Laos, Sri Lanka or Philippines would qualify as "achieving something" and could be worthy additions? It's a honest question, I'm sometimes asking myself if they wouldn't feel weird in the game. Especially regarding Laos.

9. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I can honestly see it either way:
    1. (Gran) Colombia gets into the next expansion/game (I also wouldn't be surprised if Nigeria gets into civ7, but that's a completely different conversation)
    2. Maya doesn't get into civ6 at all, but they take the Aztec's spot in civ7 as the native Mesoamerican civ, and Mexico gets into that game.
    I definitely don't expect to ever have Aztecs, Maya, Mexico, and Colombia all in the same game.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

Gran Colombia is possible, but I don't think we will have Mexico, they are including the Mexico City as a city-state right now, this doesn't make sense if the Mexico was being planned. The Maya are now the most requested civ, and it is perhaps the most blatant absence, and since the Mayas have been present since Civ3, so I think it's very unlikely that Mexico will replace them in Civ6 or in any other edition.

About Nigeria, I would like to have this represented in the game, but I think the Kingdom of Benin is a better option than the modern nation. But I agree that this is hardly going to happen in Civ6, perhaps Civ7.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  11. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Right, I'm saying that Mexico is much more likely in civ7 than in civ6, if at all. I'd actually be shocked if they put Mexico in civ6.
    Maya would be welcomed in another expansion of civ6, and I'd definitely play as them at least once or twice, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they're not included, just because there are other series staples that also haven't been included yet, and they'd probably go for more European civs that are close together than Mesoamerican ones. I know people didn't like my ball court argument from earlier in the thread, but it could definitely be a reality.
    Of course, having both Maya and Mexico in the same game would have the same proximity issue as Maya and Aztecs, but Mexico would be postcolonial, where Aztecs wouldn't. I'm not sure how popular the decision would be, but if I was told that I had to have another postcolonial civ in the Americas, I'd go that way.

And, while I agree that there are plenty of older civilizations in the area that could represent West Africa in civ7 (like Songhai, Benin, or even Ghana), I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they added a postcolonial African civ to the next game, since we have several in the Americas, one in Oceania, and arguably one in Asia, depending on how you feel about India. This game obviously needs to stay about all of history and not just modern history, so you'll have Carthage, Egypt, Zulu, and probably even Morocco and Ethiopia alongside Nigeria, but they've obviously been giving more focus to modern history in the past couple games than simply saying that ancient history is the only important history.

12. JamesFaith

JamesFaith Chieftain

I think Benin has quite good chance thanks to Benin wall. Such architectonic feat is good fitting for new system of civilizations in Civ6 and it would be easy to derive some deffence or city bonuses from it.

13. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Maybe, but it wouldn't be the first time that a wonder was in a game and its civilization wasn't.

PhoenicianGold likes this.
  14. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

Well, I think somewhat improbable to get some modern African nation, maybe Ethiopia led by Haile Selassie is the only modern African representation we can expect, even in Civ7. Some people want South Africa led by Nelson Mandela, others may say it's too early for this.

I would like to have more African representation in the game, I really like the addition of the Kongo Kingdom and I want this to become a staple in the game. I would also like Morocco to return, but I particularly prefer Ethiopia now. Other African kingdoms that would be interesting are Ashanti, Benin, Kilwa, Madagascar and Zimbabwe.

Siptah likes this.
  15. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I didn't think we'd ever see Canada or Australia, either.
    There are more popular civs in West Africa than Nigeria, but it could easily get put in the game based on being one of the richest countries on the continent, and they'd allow for some colonial era units.
    Of course, Morocco and Ethiopia have both had that covered, so maybe they will stick with switching back and forth between Songhai and Mali.
    And I was really happy to see Kongo, too.

16. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Yeah although the Yoruba are a strong contender for an African addition, the walls of Benin really feel more like a wonder to me.

The Nigeria region is interesting because even though we have several requested civs inOyo, Hausa, and Ashanti, they are all kind of overshadowed by Mali. Whereas the Swahili are the clear frontrunner for a civ along the western coast.

VermelhoRed likes this.
  17. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I think the main thing is that people underestimate the developers' willingness to include dark horses. Do older civs have a better chance than a more modern Nigeria to be in the game? Definitely. Is there a pretty good chance that Morocco and Ethiopia will get gunpowder units again? Also a definite. Can they still make Nigeria fit into the game, to allow a more modern civilization in Africa, to go along with the Ancient and Medieval civs there? Well. I think you already know the answer...

18. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Depends on what the developers want to develop.

I would point out, however, that if the third expack features a lot of economic mechanics, Swahili stand a better shot given the whole luxury trade angle. So far both expacks have featured six-ish civs that fit the expack's theme. Politics/Golden Ages (Mapuche, Scotland, Georgia, Cree, Zulu, Korea/Mongolia); terrain (Hungary, Maori, Canada, Inca, Mali, Sweden, kind of Phoenicia). I think any civ with a strong economic bent stands a good chance in the third expack, so Portugal, Maya, Morocco are all solidly in contention.

19. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

One civ we haven't seen that I would like to see is the Sámi.

Inevitably, one or two, maybe even three of the civilisations in a hypothetical third expansion will be European. So why not try something different other than the traditional empires and kingdoms that all of the current European civs are, or were? The Sámi are today regarded as the indigenous people of Fennoscandia and northwestern Russia, and they are a unique, traditionally nomadic culture, being for the most part the only people in Europe still actively engaged in reindeer herding. While no one ever led all of the Sámi, they do, in my opinion, have a good option for a leader (Elsa Laula, regrettably her English Wikipedia article is dreadfully short compared to the two Norwegian articles), and they also have good options for unique infrastructure (the lavvu (protection against blizzards and other storms?) or the goahti). In terms of a unique unit I am more unsure. (maybe a noaidi?) Also, despite them being nomadic, there are thankfully a lot of actual towns and villages with Sámi names to take city names from.

EDIT: to further back up my suggestion of Elsa Laula as the most optimal leader for a Sámi civ, a statue of her was unveiled today in occasion of the Sámi national day, of which she is called the "mother." That should speak volumes about how important she was for the Sámi.
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  20. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Thing is, many of those Bight of Benin civs would ask for a similar ability to Kongo's N'kisi. I'd love to see a Yoruba / Oyo civ, but only in Civ 7, with an N'kisi-like ability, some cavalry for UU and other elements...

Krajzen likes this.