New Beta Version - April 17th (4-17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to fix the policy screen without EUI. Was a multiplayer modpack i still had in the Civ V folder that i didn't remove when i uninstalled the game ages ago.

I still can't get the EUI version to work however. But the non-EUI version now looks fully playable
What you describe typically happens when your Steam / Civ5 is in a non-standard location. Sadly, the current autoinstaller does not detect the Civ5 location correctly, creates the default folder structure on drive C and puts EUI there and then the game does not pick it up. You have to move the UI_bc1 folder from the default = wrong location to your correct = non-standard one. I am on my cell now so I can't tell you the exact folder, but you mentioned a modpack, the EUI belongs to the same place (the DLCs folder). You will find a similar folder structure on drive C.

What you describe typically happens when your Steam / Civ5 is in a non-standard location. Sadly, the current autoinstaller does not detect the Civ5 location correctly, creates the default folder structure on drive C and puts EUI there and then the game does not pick it up. You have to move the UI_bc1 folder from the default = wrong location to your correct = non-standard one. I am on my cell now so I can't tell you the exact folder, but you mentioned a modpack, the EUI belongs to the same place (the DLCs folder). You will find a similar folder structure on drive C.

Could this highly useful information be included in the official download page?

Hi. Welcome to VP forum.

Wonders
Has the wonder spam penalty changed to become too lenient again? I have 5 more wonders than the next Civ (Arabia) but I’ve never got a penalty all game.
Wonder penalty is for wonders of the same era or close. If you build a couple of wonder every era, you'll barely notice it.

they have loosened the covid-19 lock down
Yep. But my son wants to stay at home playing video games :/

-the celts think mistakenly I brought their civ back from death

I fixed a bug causing the AI to mistakenly think you resurrected them under some circumstances. Fix should be in the next version.

Wonders
Has the wonder spam penalty changed to become too lenient again? I have 5 more wonders than the next Civ (Arabia) but I’ve never got a penalty all game.

AI resource trade logic
I have 10 aluminum. Inca are no where close in technology to being able to use them but they still want to buy a lot of it for a very high price. It’s very hard to not exploit this in such a tight game. Maybe to make it more realistic Civs can’t buy unusable resources until they are 1 or 2 techs away from it being usable?

Also, I’m just wondering what other players do when the AI only wants to buy one resource like iron but you the option to just do single deals to get rid of all your iron & almost bankrupt that Civ? Am I supposed to infer from the diplomacy logic that I ‘should’ only trade one Iron & I’m exploiting the AI otherwise? Maybe the A1 does only want 1 now but wants another 1 later... I love this game and I just not sure how much of an exploit this is. Do other players have a self imposed rule on resources trading like no stealing AI workers in the beginning or am I just over thinking this whole thing!

--After tying this I see it is a bug... then I've had this bug for months over multiple betas.--

Wonder penalty is based off your difference from the median # of Wonders at the moment, is capped, and doesn't always apply. This is intentional to prevent excessive AI aggression.

Trade logic is totally busted IMO (I blame Firaxis), which is why I plan to do a major overhaul in the future. However, you can make a bug report on Github if you encounter strange, unreasonable behavior: https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues

AI vassals grabbing my territory with citadels is annoying. Is there anything I can do about it, like tell them not to or something?

In my current game, I took Denmark's capital, they vassalised to me, then on the next turn, they used their two great generals to nab a lot of good tiles from my second city. Maybe vassals shouldn't be allowed to do this?

AI vassals grabbing my territory with citadels is annoying. Is there anything I can do about it, like tell them not to or something?

In my current game, I took Denmark's capital, they vassalised to me, then on the next turn, they used their two great generals to nab a lot of good tiles from my second city. Maybe vassals shouldn't be allowed to do this?

Mostly I find that if I'm on poor terms with someone I know they are going to try to steal my land if they can. So I either plant a citadel pre-emptively or save a great general to reclaim land afterwards. (Most of the time it's better to get in first but sometimes placing your citadel second can be better).

Other than that... either try to make friends of declare war on them I guess! I've found on average throughout a game I tend to have at least as many citadels on my side of the border as they do on theirs so that seems OK to me?

Mostly I find that if I'm on poor terms with someone I know they are going to try to steal my land if they can. So I either plant a citadel pre-emptively or save a great general to reclaim land afterwards. (Most of the time it's better to get in first but sometimes placing your citadel second can be better).

Other than that... either try to make friends of declare war on them I guess! I've found on average throughout a game I tend to have at least as many citadels on my side of the border as they do on theirs so that seems OK to me?

You're basically saying "make the best of it." That's good enough advice under the current circumstances, but I think it would be preferable if vassals who have just thrown themselves on your mercy don't immediately do something that's essentially an act of war.

Thanks for the advice on EUI. I know entirely what you mean so I'll be able to fix it.

Loving it so far. Even got invaded and lost a load of cities on king. Got so used too playing sloppy because of civ vi that I neglected building a military for defense assuming that defending against any AI aggression would be a breeze.

Wouldn't mind playing a multiplayer game with one of my m8s and getting him into it. Is there a multiplayer version of the Beta anywhere?

Recent couple of games I see more and more snowball AI in this version, anyone else share this? or maybe my view of snowball is too narrow?

Recent couple of games I see more and more snowball AI in this version, anyone else share this? or maybe my view of snowball is too narrow?

Part of the reason could be that AI is now much more aggressive and also capable of some impressive maneuver during war, making them more effective at taking cities.

Part of the reason could be that AI is now much more aggressive and also capable of some impressive maneuver during war, making them more effective at taking cities.

I have askia grabbing all wonders, techleader and just rolling the other side of the map (england, poland and more) and its not much I can do atm (emperor near gunpowder tech).
I guess I can hope for him to get happiness issues while I try to roll my side...

You're basically saying "make the best of it." That's good enough advice under the current circumstances, but I think it would be preferable if vassals who have just thrown themselves on your mercy don't immediately do something that's essentially an act of war.

I guess I was talking more about the AI stealing land in general than vassals specifically, sorry. I wouldn't have an issue with vassals not being able to do that if it's codeable.

I guess I was talking more about the AI stealing land in general than vassals specifically, sorry. I wouldn't have an issue with vassals not being able to do that if it's codeable.

It is. I'll add that.

Upcoming (minor) diplomacy changes for next version:
Code:
Bugfixes
- AI players should no longer culture bomb their masters and friends
- Fixed an issue where the AI mistakenly flagged players as having resurrected them
- Fixed an issue where the AI mistakenly flagged players as having broken a promise not to spy on them
- Fixed some text issues with vassalage
- Fixed vassals receiving incessant tax rate dialogue from AI masters
- Human players in a One City Challenge game should no longer get City-State quests to capture or liberate cities, but AI players will continue to receive them

Approach
- Added 1x approach bias for current approach
- There were a few reports that AI was flipping too much between friendly and hostile approaches due to the new approach prioritization,
hopefully this should help keep it more stable :)
- A few minor improvements

As always, diplomacy can be discussed in the dedicated thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/diplomacy-ai-development.655040/

While we're on this topic, has anyone even seen the AI take Lebensraum and make good use of the bigger citadel capture area? It was something I started to wonder about but have not had enough games to really watch for it since I started to think about it.

I just finished a game on the same settings I've been playing for a while (Byzantium, Huge map, Epic speed, events mod). First game I've played all the way through for some time!

I started slow, and got forward settled a bit. I chose to favour my monopoly and pantheon by expanding south and east, allowing the Songhai to grab the spots north of me. Once I got access to my uniques I steadily made my way up the ranks to compete as a religion, then in tech and policies, and eventually militarily as well. I managed to build some of my favourite wonders (Artemis, Angkor Wat, Machu Picchu, Himeji Castle), but was beaten to others (Forbidden Palace, Sistene Chapel, Porcelain Tower, the Louvre).

The defining moment came when I met the Maya, who I realised had build about half of the wonders in the world and had a strong lead in tech on the rest of us (7 or 8) as well as policies (3 or 4). Aiming to beat them I was able to catch up to within about 5 techs and 1 policy, but meanwhile they just kept on pumping out wonders like there was no tomorrow. Unfortunately soon they took Rationalism and shot ahead in technology again. Soon after they adopted Communism as their ideology and from that point pulled back well into the lead - being at least 9 or 10 techs ahead for the rest of the game. I knew I wouldn't be able to beat them to a science or tourism victory and I was in no position to try for domination this late in the game, but I did gain control of the world congress at that point. Most people seemed to like me or at least prefer me to the other contenders.

Spoiler Maya Wonders 1 :
20200429052150_1.jpg

Spoiler Maya Wonders 2 :
20200501003746_1.jpg

Around this time I declared war on Netherlands (four people asked me for joint war declarations against then on the same turn) who were already embroiled with an existing war. That war ended sooner than I had anticipated though, and I found myself faced with the might of their naval fleet coming for my coastal cities. I thought I was done for, but with support from land units and the timely arrival of reinforcements from my farther settlements I was able to turn the tide. I captured two cities (Arnhem and Haarlem) which I razed due to battle damage. At about this point, the Swedish fleet turned up in force and threatened my island cities. Happily they were willing to peace out soon afterwards so I didn't loose any. I quickly resettled the locations the Dutch cities used to occupy, which later turned out to include my only local source of oil!

Spoiler Most of these ships did not survive :
20200430120712_1.jpg

When that was over, I used the world congress and the Maya's unpopularity to sanction them and implement other policies that would help smaller players catch up (as well as benefit me). I donated at least a dozen techs to the Maya's neighbours, as well as 100s of gold per turn to two of them. And frankly without it I think both Poland and Brazil would have been wiped out by the Maya and their smaller buddies Assyria. However, in spite of all this they continued to dominate, and going into the late-game another rival reared their head: my neighbours Siam - who were going for a diplomatic victory like me and had completed the Statecraft tree to boot (where I had taken Artistry instead).

Siam dominated the political sphere, snagging almost half of the remaining city-states (some had been captured). I fought back but wasn't making much ground, so I proposed to decolonize them and happily other civs supported me! Which was awesome becase now I was in a leading position in city-states. Except that over time, in spite of me completing city-state quests and building diplomats, Siam overtook me influence for many of them (which also put me in a negative position with regards to certain resources). So I decolonised them again. And the same thing happened lol. I deconolonised them again, and both World Ideology and the United Nations subject was proposed but in spite of my support both got voted down.

In the meantime, the Maya had finished the tech tree and was building spaceship parts. I had gained a strategic monopoly on Uranium which was nice, and helped me in my war against the Zulus with the help of Polynesia and Sweden. I knew this might be my last war in this game so I went all-in. I liberated two cities which had belonged to my friends Polynesia and Spain! Siam managed to get a lead on me in science and started building spaceship parts of their own, although not fast enough to catch up the Maya. As I was busy with war and struggling over city-state control, the Maya built their final spaceship part and won the game! Which honestly made sense, I would have been more concerned if the AI had lost from such a strong position.

Spoiler Ancient Era :
20200428230959_1.jpg

Spoiler Information Era :
20200501173954_1.jpg

Something that was odd was the spread of different religions over time. I always tried to convert neutral targets and with Byzantium's strong faith game managed to win two of my neighbours (the Songhai and Sweden) as well as all the nearby city-states, in spite of competition from both Siam and the Netherlands. I never tried to convert founders though, and mostly there were several competing religions on each continent (total 7). In the late-game though, I noticed that none of the third-party cities had been converted to other religions as they often were during the early- and mid-game. So I looked around and to my surprise found that almost every city on my continent had been converted to my religion - including Siam and the Netherlands. And in fact most of the other continent had been converted to Spain's religion. There were effectively only two religions left in the world, apart from a few cities loyal to each of the other factions.

Spoiler Religion 1 :
20200428093946_1.jpg

Spoiler Religion 2 :
20200501010958_1.jpg

On city defenses: coastal cities were strong, but in most of the wars where I captured or defended cities, whether or not the city had an arsenal or later on military base was more important (AI cities usually did). And several city-states (which are all coastal or on islands with this map type) were captured in spite of their extra defenses. I was fighting with gatling guns, ironclads, and cruisers in the first war- and then with destroyers and battleships in the second. I didn't have much of an issue taking cities once most of the defenders were removed from the equation. On the other hand, in my earlier war against the Songhai (non-coastal cities) I fared well but their numbers kept me at bay long enough that even with minimal losses I didn't make much ground.

Generally speaking I was pretty happy with how the game went. The Maya have been pretty strong in my recent games so I do wonder if they warrant a nerf. They had a very nice starting position though, with room to expand. I had a look at their beliefs and the only things that stood out were Tutelary Gods as a pantheon and Veneration as a follower. Both are strong but not enough to explain such a lead IMO. If not for Spain dominating their continent religiously in the late-game, the Maya probably would have been even stronger. What did surprised me was that while the Maya were unpopular, they weren't universally hated as I would expect a civ with half the world's wonders and a big tech lead to be. Siam, the Netherlands, and I each made enemies of our own despite being well behind on those metrics. I suppose other factors may have come into play.

Spoiler Mayan religion :
20200428094015_1.jpg

As I mentioned in the diplo thread, I liked the diplomacy - I had friendships, defensive pacts, denouncements and declarations of war in a way that felt good. Dynamics changed over time in a way that was interesting but not inconsistent. I'm also a big fan of the buffs to lakes and pastures - they are good without being too good, which makes me happy.

One thing that annoyed me a little was how difficult it was to compete with Siam over city-states despite sending diplo units non-stop in the late-game. I guess that's what Statecraft is for, and they had a good reasons to compete with me - both because of their UA and their victory condition. I think the main reason I was still able to control the world congress was religious authority and using my great diplomats for embassies. If I hadn't been able to decolonise them I'm not sure what I would have done as they had a bigger and more advanced army than me at that point.

Last edited:
Do you play the whole game with yields displaying like that or are the yields just enabled for the screenshots?

If the former do you experience small colored dots in your dreams? (serious question)

Haha, one time I genuinely saw them in my vision when I closed my eyes. Generally speaking though, my dreams are either nightmares (no coloured dots yet) or I don't remember them at all :(.

I haven't always used this setting - looking through my screenshots I had it on and off while testing different things like visible hexes and resource icons. I've been using it consistently for about a year now I guess, mainly to get a sense of how different tile improvements compare over time. It's also interesting to look at other civs who might have different policies (or religion) to see how they compare.

Full disclosure though, I play most of the game in strategic mode (it runs faster) so my game does look different from the screenshots!

That makes sense. I always forget that a lot of players prefer strategic mode.

I had actually just deleted the original post you replied to because I thought I might be derailing/posting off topic, so I apologize if this causes confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom