New Beta Version - January 21st (1-21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Maybe scaling the necessary explored tiles to get one XP could solve this. Of course not 1:1, but if its possible, this could balance it a bit.
On marathon speed, by turn 300, I had a scout that is level 8 and promoted enough to fight alongside military units. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing but possibly not what was intended for game balance?

Last edited:
"Finished" up another game. Another loss for me, I called it on Turn 392 as my remaining 4 cities slowly crumbled before the combined might of 4 civs warring on me.

It was Standard, Emperor....went for the classic Arabia CV play. Things went well up towards modern era. Then I made a mistake of beelining to radio while Authority Sweden took the south side of the tech tree, as this was generally the time in the game when the AIs teching ramps up. He nuked my eastern city, and I could only fight his infantry, paratroopers, artillery, and machine guns with my gatlings and rifleman for so long. He took my eastern 2 cities, dropping me from 6 to 4 cities at that point. The paratroopers got dropping like nats, weakening me further. I fought him off 3 separate times, but I could never recover my ground, and the warring prevented me from making any dents on him culturally.

From their the AI decided to play with my diplomatically. A travel ban was thrown down, then a cold war to deny my trade routes. International Games got past, but I was scrambling for every hammer I could find just to hold off Sweden so couldn't even manage a 3rd place. I held out for a long time but the writing was on the wall. Managed to put together as many votes as I could and took one last stab at removing the travel ban. When that failed (every vote the AIs had went into keeping the ban) I knew I would never make it back culturally. Oh....I got decolonized on that last vote just for good measure!

Ultimately the AI played very well. As I said I tried to rush the culture too much and paid the proper price. Diplomatically killed me. Used paratroopers very well....my one critique here is that the AI seems to go for survivalism 2, amphibious instead of survival 3. I think that's a mistake, survival 3 is hoss.

I will feel that the trade ship tooltips are not correct....I do not believe the times are anywhere what they are quoting. Its telling me 30 turns to complete a trade route, I just don't believe it. But next game I'm going to try and record the actual times so I can put some hard numbers to it....this time wiht the latest patch. I may also have to drop back down to small maps....I really like standard but 2-3 minute turns towards the end is just painful.

I have to agree, the AI improved very well over the last patches, Emperor at least for me got tougher, at least if you try your typical turtle to CV strategy, if you cant pay proper attention to the diplomacy and have at least an army to defend yourself properly, things get tough around the modern era. For me at least the changes that the AI can handle those paratrooper swarms was an improvement which I didnt expect. So next time I have to turn the tides and go warmongering and have a look how the new warmonger penelaty works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom