New Beta Version - March 2nd (3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished a super exciting (and tough) game as Arabia, Emperor, Epic, No tech trading, No events, Ruins On, Standard size 8 civs 16 CS .... got a cultural victory in late 1800s.
Spoiler :
CivilizationV_DX11 2021-03-12 18-24-33-735.jpg

Played this a bit different than your regular CV peaceful tall play as i went Authority, Artistry, Imperialism and freedom but it was super fun.
Started in a continent with Tradition Poland that founded a religion and Progress Ottomans that took so long to get their third and fourth cities settled.
I did not have enough production in the early game to compete for the ancient wonders so i just beelined hanging gardens .... got an early GG from a quest so used it to get ToA on my way.
Classical era was when I had enough production and my Council of elders started kicking in with the help of fealty opener i was spamming wonders and grabbing pretty much every single one on my way in the capital while my satellites train units to do some conquests and secure early vassals.
I managed to found Islam first with CoE, Orders then enhanced early thanks to Haghia Sophia with Mosuques and Symbolism ... once i eliminated Polands religion by capturing his capital and vassalizing him in the process it was an easy reformation with TTGOG, the Ottomans got scared and voluntarily submitted to be my vassal till the very end of the game.
The game was uneventful besides me grabbing all the wonders i could - I even got both Colossus and Petra- till i met the rest of the players.
Long story short Russia was doing exactly what i was doing; Got Brazil (3rd in terms of score) as a peaceful vassal and both were terrorizing the other continent managing to completely eliminate the Maya and Stopping Shaka from advancing at all whil a semi isolated tradition Morocco was minding their own business mostly.
Going into the Industrial era i was not sure which ideology to pick so i took freedom for the sake of trying it and i cannot say that i'm impressed at all.

Statue of Liberty: besides the free policy -which all ideology wonders provide- the production bonus is negligible.
International finance center:The best case scenario is getting 3 extra votes from it (if manage to befriend every single AI in a standard game) ..... definitely way weaker providing less votes by a harder to meet condition and even less useful yields than Palace of Culture and Science and Hall of Honor .... I think it's one of the weakest tools in freedom's kit.
  • Tier one:I like most of them, some are pretty nieche but they generally get the Job done.
    • Draft Registration: A trap i fell into; I already completed authority so in terms of land units i'm fine so i took it just to buy ships but i realized that i have to have a seaport to purchase naval units which most of my cities lacked .... It came in handy once I researched flight to get Planes and Bombers Asap.
    • Avant Garde: Simple, and effecient ... i like it.
    • Urbanization: Compared to 5 years plan or Military-Industrial Complex it's the weakest but it's still serviceable.
    • Creative Expression: Very similar to Autocracy's Futurism, it just works.
    • Economic Union: more trade routes = more GPs for Arabia, the extra gold from trade routes came too late in my game to matter.
    • I did not get to try covert actions or civil society.

• Tier 2: Like Autocracy and Order, IMO these are the strongest tenets ... even better than T3.
    • New Deal: Rewards good planning and investment, pretty amazing if you had many GPTIs.
    • Universal Sufferage: In combination with Chichen Itza i got into a perma GA starting in the late renaissance era till the very end of the the game ..... amazing value for one tenet.
    • Their finest hour: It was the fourth T2 tenet that i got but i actually won before researching radar or unlocking the Bomber, would have liked to try it.:crazyeye::crazyeye:
    • Universal Healthcare: I think the free hospital does not add too much value for a T2 tenet compared to Orders Academy of Science .... It's lackluster IMO.
    • I wanted to try Capitalism but i already had Uffizi and Globe theatre so i skipped it, Arsenal of Democracy seemed even weaker than universla healthcare and Transnationalism looks good but i did not manage to get to my max fanchise count anyway.
  • Tier 3: To be honest i just don't like any of the 3 and i had to take them just to complete the requirements for a CV.
    • Media Culture: The cultural victory T3 tenet bonus is attached to a late very nieche building that costs too much (I unlocked way before atomic era) .... making the bonus independent of a buildings would be nice.
    • Treaty Organization: I took it first just for the extra votes in the WC ... i did not have any trade routes with CS but i'm not convinced that a T3 tenet should be providing this low amount of influence per turn during an era the CS influence is in thousands.
    • Spaceship Procurement: Did not pick it .... looks good on paper but i'm not sure how much does it cost in gold to invest inspaceship parts.
Having tried both, Imo freedom is weaker than Autocracy when it comes to enabling CV.

Some other notes.
  • I had some iron shortage this game so i could not field the naval force i wanted to so i tried submarines out of necessity and i can't say they could replace naval ranged units at all .... they cannot even fire from ice tiles.
  • Authority's tribute policy + Generals is pretty much the only reliable way to rush projects .... I'm not sure why cannot engineers rush Apollo program or Manhattan prjoect.

Found a workaround regarding peace vassals.
It seems like turning off defensive pacts also removes a LOT of the will to peace vassal.
I got zero peacevassal and managed to keep a war going -> vassal, in this case assyria.
While I wasnt able to push it extreme for now because happiness went down the drain the war was somewhat drawn out with him attacking -> me taking two cities including capital.
So @Recursive defensive pacts probably adds too much -> peace vassal numbers.
It is maybe a bit unfortunate that both vassalage and defensive pacts opens at the same tech when some AI's go direct for chivalry and both these activates at the same time.

Part of why I dislike spies sometimes as how varied my steal times are, and with no real understanding of why.

Spoiler :

upload_2021-3-12_16-18-44.png

I am 6 techs behind Russia, so plenty to steal from. A level 2 spy in constabulary city....67 turns (which is basically forever). And yet other time I feel like I could steal 4 techs in that time from a similar capital. I don't understand what creates the huge variance in tech steal times.

Part of why I dislike spies sometimes as how varied my steal times are, and with no real understanding of why.

I am 6 techs behind Russia, so plenty to steal from. A level 2 spy in constabulary city....67 turns (which is basically forever). And yet other time I feel like I could steal 4 techs in that time from a similar capital. I don't understand what creates the huge variance in tech steal times.

There is a counterspy according to image, I assume constabulary is up.
Did russia go rationalism?

Another real nice example of AI amphibious tactics. While my navy was pulled away dealing with Monty, Catherine bum rushed me here. She used frigates and amphibious fusiliers to fumigate the land forces, than immediately pushed in a blockading force to begin siege.

Spoiler :

upload_2021-3-12_16-43-57.png

Beauty and Terrifying....islands are really really hard to hold!

After too many times wasting moving a spy to see a super long steal time I never do anything but rig elections anymore. I wish you could at least see what you were getting into.

After too many times wasting moving a spy to see a super long steal time I never do anything but rig elections anymore. I wish you could at least see what you were getting into.

I put them into CS first to rig and lvl up and then try to steal a tech or two if times arent horrible.

I put them into CS first to rig and lvl up and then try to steal a tech or two if times arent horrible.

That's how I do it as well, if the tech leader isn't my friend. Otherwise I just keep on rigging.

Anders, how did you know there was a counterspy, based on Stalker0's image? "Foreign agents pursuing Julio (1)"?

That's how I do it as well, if the tech leader isn't my friend. Otherwise I just keep on rigging.

Anders, how did you know there was a counterspy, based on Stalker0's image? "Foreign agents pursuing Julio (1)"?

Middlepart where it says "foreign counterspies are rumored to be in the city".

@SuperNoobCamper Yea I agree about Freedom not being as good as Autocracy for tourism. I actually even chose Order over Freedom for my last tourism win, though it relies on sharing ideology or you having higher happiness to be better. Also yea the finance centre is rubbish, especially compared to Hall of Honor.

About having more trade routes as Arabia, I thought they only gave historic events if you had Statecraft? You're saying you got the GP bonus from trade routes completing without Statecraft?

@SuperNoobCamper Yea I agree about Freedom not being as good as Autocracy for tourism. I actually even chose Order over Freedom for my last tourism win, though it relies on sharing ideology or you having higher happiness to be better. Also yea the finance centre is rubbish, especially compared to Hall of Honor.

About having more trade routes as Arabia, I thought they only gave historic events if you had Statecraft? You're saying you got the GP bonus from trade routes completing without Statecraft?

The Bazaar makes finishing a trade route (that isnt internal) to create a historic event.
Statecraft adds one extra trade route (some happiness etc).

The previous game as Progress Arabia i went Order (just avoid nationalism and you are good to go) and managed to win CV even earlier (though there was no Brazil in that game tbh).
As Andersw said, the Bazaar generates a historic event when a trade route to a major civ is completed.
Statecraft does the same when you complete a trade route to a city state but as Arabia i'm almost always going artistry and the Bazaar does it's job really well so i don't need to touch statecraft at all

Another thing i noticed... If i fortify a unit, it behaves like if i put it on standby. It "activates" every turn, making wars with a big frontline more click intensive. In the past i think it wasnt the case. The unit wasnt activated until i choose to give them another order.
Do you experience this issue, too?

Another thing i noticed... If i fortify a unit, it behaves like if i put it on standby. It "activates" every turn, making wars with a big frontline more click intensive. In the past i think it wasnt the case. The unit wasnt activated until i choose to give them another order.

There are two types of "fortify" orders. Do you click on the heavier-looking shield?

Is it taking damage, either directly or through a splash promotion? Damage a unit I believe causes it take camera focus

There are two types of "fortify" orders. Do you click on the heavier-looking shield?

I use the real "fortify". The other one is standby. Playing in german, dont know if the translation to standby is correct for the other shield :)

Is it taking damage, either directly or through a splash promotion? Damage a unit I believe causes it take camera focus

Did not take damage but a unit moved next to it. Maybe this is the trigger. Ill have to take a closer look to it.

I just have to say VP is amazing!

Been playing plain old BNW for years and finally got bored enough to look into VP and man have I been missing out. GREAT work guys, absolutely nailed it. Every single thing, big or small, I've ever thought Civ messed up on has been corrected. I think 4 speed on the Destroyers a big mistake heh, but that's a drop in the ocean!

Thank you guys for all your hard work, amazing job!

Moderator Action: Please do not attempt to bypass the autocensor. Profanity is not permitted on the forums. - Recursive

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have to say VP is amazing!

Been playing plain old BNW for years and finally got bored enough to look into VP and man have I been missing out. GREAT work guys, absolutely nailed it. Every single thing, big or small, I've ever thought Civ messed up on has been corrected. I think 4 speed on the Destroyers a big mistake heh, but that's a drop in the ocean!

Thank you guys for all your hard work, amazing job!

I agree totally. That was the same mistake I made, playing vanilla for years, before finally getting around to playing VP. Should have done it years before. This is true though of all games I play. Taking ages until I get into the mods. Some people vitually play mods from start.

Moderator Action: If you quote someone else's message and it contains inappropriate language, that is also in violation of the forum rules. Please be more cautious in the future. - Recursive

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree totally. That was the same mistake I made, playing vanilla for years, before finally getting around to playing VP. Should have done it years before. This is true though of all games I play. Taking ages until I get into the mods. Some people vitually play mods from start.

Lol I hear ya, I had some mods I've been playing with from the start but no overhauls. What a great mod.

Civ IV I played a lot of overhauls, like Realism Invictus and Age of Revolution, dont know why it took so long to try VP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom