1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - November 8th

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Nov 9, 2019.

1. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Prince

Plausible. I've never had it happen that bad (Japan's UA may be a factor there), but I do get a lot of great scientists in the late game playing Epic speed. It doesn't help that there seem to be a number of wonders which grant them in the last two eras, but as I say it hasn't so much been an issue in my games.

Personally I think I'm happier not knowing. Each to their own I guess. I don't tend to play Order.

2. Earf

Earf Chieftain

You can still do hit an runs in rough terrain. Unless you're going up against some unique unit that can easily move through rough terrain, you'll be able to hit a unit and move away without fear of retaliation. Despite the terrain, the point I'm trying to make is that you can use ranged mounted units to do just as much damage, or more, compared to mounted melee units without taking any damage at all in return. It just seems too easy.

vyyt likes this.
  3. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

This ^ is why VP is so much better than Civ VI. In one week the community fixes issues that would take months for Firaxis to fix. Thank you to everyone working on this great project.

Maxxim69, Hinin, Kim Dong Un and 4 others like this.
  4. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

Additional changes:
    Code:
    AI tactical aggression for early game territorial wars increased

Tweaks to aid AI with Domination Victories
    - AIs attempting a Domination Victory should be noticeably more tactically aggressive
    - AI tactical aggression increased if only two major civs are left
    - AI diplo aggression towards everyone ramps up once it possesses 1 other capital, not 2+ (provided it hasn't lost its own capital, of course)

Count the following as major competitors (extra aggression):
    - Other player has at least one other civ's capital, and AI is going for a domination victory
    - Land dispute level of STRONG or FIERCE, if the era is Ancient to Medieval or AI is going for a domination victory
    - Wonder dispute level of STRONG or FIERCE, if the AI is going for a cultural victory
    - City-State dispute level of STRONG or FIERCE, if the AI is going for a diplo victory

Ignore players who have lost their capital as major competitors

This might overtune it a bit, but better that the AI be aggressive than passive. :)

If it's overkill it can be tweaked again - I'll be excited to see feedback on this once the changes are added.

I believe Gazebo has previously referred to the code for one section (the advisor system) as being written by "a team of moderately trained monkeys". :lol:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  5. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

New tactics: let capture your capital and leave in peace with all world? )

6. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

What's the reasoning behind this? I've played many games where I'll capture only one capital to secure my corner of the continent and then play the rest relatively peacefully.

nmb93 likes this.
  7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I think it’s the fact that even securing one capital is a huge surge of power. It often means gaining wonders, some of the best land, might even bag a new monopoly.

Bromar1 likes this.
  8. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

Does this scale with era? Taking a capital early should be weighted much less than late in the game.

9. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

The magnitude of the increase is personality based and scales with the number of capitals captured (+1 per).

Very war-like AIs who will tend to have lots of units anyway, if they succeed, will be extra motivated to continue along the "swallowing up the world" rampage, and will thus be more of a challenge. :)

I'm hoping to see more aggressive action from the likes of Denmark and the Aztecs, and avoid AIs fizzling out without reaching their full potential because they couldn't get enough hostility.

As @Stalker0 said, it's a significant power boost, and the AI will be inclined to A) build a strong army to defend it and B) use their extra resources in an attempt to become even more powerful.

The goal of these changes is not to make the AI hyperaggressive all the time, but to enhance their aggression in favorable circumstances so they avoid passivity.

Again, it can be easily tweaked if it's overkill. :)

Edit: Also worth noting that this will mostly impact the AI's enemies and immediate neighbors. AI prioritizes adopting WAR/HOSTILE towards the people they have the largest negative weight towards, and get a bonus to being non-aggressive, scaling with the number of people they're aggressive towards. Furthermore they avoid getting into wars when already at war.

10. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

That'll leave you vulnerable to aggression increases because you're militarily and economically weaker. :)

It doesn't zero out the weight, just reduces it haha.

Of course, you can always try capitulation...

11. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

Still playing in the previous version but I think it may be relevant to discuss also for this version.
    I got 2 DoW by other civs and cause of that earned a +2% anti warmonger favor to fight my enemies, so far ok.
    But after peace, I declared war to one of them and only captured their capital by a swift strike.
    Now Iam denounced by half the world and have to face already a +49% anti-warmonger penalty.
    I want to ask...... isnt that a bit too harsh? Its not like ive burned everything in the way like the mongols (while playing the huns ;) ).

EDIT:
    Again, after 160 turns, plantation luxuries behind forests are not improved.

12. Ess85

Ess85 Chieftain

Any ETA on these diplomacy changes?
    Can't wait to try them out

13. TikiB

TikiB Chieftain

I am using the latest beta, when I founded a (second) city creating enough culture to adopt a first social policy it messed up my culture score. I now gain a huge amount of culture each turn and my next policy cost is -21 million!

14. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

updates aren’t on a regular schedule, but you can see yourself from beta patch release dates that patches/new betas are rolled out approx 15-20 days apart. Given the last patch was nov 8, don’t expect another beta for at least another week

Ess85 and JamesNinelives like this.
  15. Guynemer

Guynemer Prince

But Dan, what do you expect me to do with myself for the next week?

Work?

Meaningful interactions with my wife?

Come on.

Maxxim69, tu_79, vyyt and 5 others like this.
  16. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

None of that crap, of course not.

the only reasonable use of the intervening time is to dogpile the skirmisher balance discussion thread and argue with strangers on the internet.

Maxxim69, burleigh, vyyt and 3 others like this.
  17. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I'm out of town this week for work, won't be back until next week. Your best bet at this point is to beg @ilteroi to merge and compile the new DLL and post it or to convince @HeathcliffWarriors that the IDE is his friend.

G

18. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

19. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

Very likely a mod conflict, make sure you're not using any other incompatible mods.

It's not a terrible idea, but it'd need a lot of work to implement, and runs the risk of making the game too easy/uncompetitive. Perhaps something that can be looked at.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, I suppose it's time I gave figuring out how Visual Studio works another try :crazyeye:

JamesNinelives likes this.
  20. General_Drax

General_Drax Chieftain

I saw some strange behaviour with AI settlers. Venice built a lot of railroads towards another civ (Inca). Are they getting faster trade routes ?

Conquered Venice (capital) and one of his satellite city and both showed this pattern.

In modern era it seem AI discovered aggression again. They are hammering with DoW. I think the -75 penalty for wormongering was the culprit to start the violence.