New Building: Brickworks

Kenta'arka

King
I use this as a brickworks (increases production in cities with clay in city area)
But it could be something else too.

Preview:

File:

Attachments

• brickworks.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 755
Looks good, and is a good idea!

Do you think you could make era-specifics of this building? I mean, brickmaking has been around for ages... although "modern" bricks use more things like cement, if clay is to be the primary resource, it would fit to the brickmakers of the ancient times as well.

Hmm. Maybe have it so the Pyramids can only be built if a brickmaker is there? And do stuff like that.... has anyone tried binding the Wonders to require a resource or building? I wonder how that works out...

Originally posted by Bjorn Bjornson

Do you think you could make era-specifics of this building? I mean, brickmaking has been around for ages... although "modern" bricks use more things like cement, if clay is to be the primary resource, it would fit to the brickmakers of the ancient times as well.

Hmm. Maybe have it so the Pyramids can only be built if a brickmaker is there? And do stuff like that.... has anyone tried binding the Wonders to require a resource or building? I wonder how that works out...

Currently I don't have much time to make era specifics, maybe next week...

I added a few new recources to my ptw, including clay, stone and timber. Most of the building, and nearly all wonders require at least one recource and it works fine. (just temples can't require a recource. the KI won't grow otherwise)

Originally posted by Bjorn Bjornson

I am play-testing such a mod right now, Bjorn. I added extra resources, so that I now have 64 in the game. I have 5 extra palaces buildable, but each of them require 2 resources (marble/stone, marble/silver, stone/lumber, silver/diamonds, and seashells/rubies for my Seaside Palace :) ) The only great wonders I set to require resources are stone for the Great Wall, and copper for the Internet.

I have bricks in the mod, and they are required for a few early buildings. Bricks appear only near rivers. So if I use this brickworks graphic, I would have to do something like set it to 'must be near river' and give the city a production boost. I made aqueducts require stone, maybe I should make them require bricks too, what do you think?

You could also set the brickworks require bricks, change it to a small wonder, check the "required recources must be in city radius" checkbox, and change it back to city improvement. So, it would need bricks in city radius...

About the aqueducts: I think aqueducts were build of stone, without bricks...not sure...

Thanks for that 'city radius' trick! It will come in handy, I'm sure. I am just trying to figure out how to use more of the resources I have inserted into the game. I don't want to have bricks as a resource, and then be able to do only one thing with them.

Stone was used widely in ancient times in construction, so that's no problem. I even made catapults and stone crossbows require stone. But can anybody help me think of other uses for bricks? :confused: Something fairly unique, since so many things are made from bricks. Then having a brickworks will be worth it!

That's true, and even into the modern age. But for gameplay purposes, I don't want to go "brick happy". Having too many units or buildings require one of the same resource could unbalance the game.

The real reason I am trying to insert more resources into the game is variety, but I still want it to be playable, fair, and challenging! Another reason is, there are certain times in the game where, well, you've built every building that is available! :( I want to change that by adding more wonders and buildings. :)

You could also set the brickworks require bricks, change it to a small wonder, check the "required recources must be in city radius" checkbox, and change it back to city improvement. So, it would need bricks in city radius...

Holy crap! This works????? Does it work for everything?

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II

Holy crap! This works????? Does it work for everything?

Works for me with strategic and luxury recources

Finally used my .pcx editor (PSP8) to begin work on the Civilopedia.

Originally posted by Quasar1011
Finally used my .pcx editor (PSP8) to begin work on the Civilopedia.
:confused: how can you edit the civiliopdia with PSP?

Originally posted by Yoda Power
:confused: how can you edit the civiliopedia with PSP?
To get the resource icons to show up properly in the civilopedia, you need a .pcx editor. So I dowloaded the trial version of Paint Shop Pro 8, from JASC software. I converted about 32 small icons yesterday.

For small resource icons, you need a canvas size of 32 x 32 pixels. I copied and pasted from the main resource sheet, the one with over 500 icons. Large resource icons use a canvas size of 128 x 128 pixels; I haven't done those yet. So I am simply talking about editing the graphics that are supposed to show up in the civilopedia. Obviously, to get the descriptions of buildings, resources, units, teechnologies, etc., you need a text editor. To get the brickworks icon to show up, all I had to do was unzip the .pcx files and place them in the correct directory. :)

How does one make a link to this thread? I have uploaded my Quasar mod, and want to link to here so people can find the brickworks building to download.

By the way, to get all the resources that I wanted into the game, I had to nix bricks. Bricks aren't natural anyway, they are man-made. So now I have clay as the pre-requisite for the brickworks. :)

Top Bottom