New Civ - The Confederate States of America

i get a white flag :( and i really like the confederate one what gives ? awsome civ though any one get arround to re-making or fixing the Texan civ ?

Wirklichkeit said:

The Confederate States of America

Name: The Confederacy

Starting Techs: Agriculture, The Wheel

Leaders:
Jefferson Davis - Industrious, Philosophical, favors Free Market
Robert E. Lee - Spiritual, Creative, favors Nationhood

Unique Units: The Blakely Rifle (replaces cannon)
-Receives defensive bonuses
-40% withdrawal chance

Color: Custom deep red

The mod is compatible with multiple language support, I think, but right now only contains english. Richmond is the capital city, sorry to all the Alabamans out there. To use, unzip CSA.zip to your mods file, or unzip it somewhere else and move the CSA directory to your mods file.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Minnxx/Lee1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Minnxx/Jefferson1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Minnxx/Civilopedia1.jpg

Download the File Here - http://www.filegone.com/j9ol

Known issues:
-The formal name of the Confederate States of America is one character too long for the entry screen, causing it to drop out when you pick your leader. However, it works fine in other places.
-The Blakely Rifle isn't reskinned - I might do this if folks want it
-The discovery of rifling comes after a rifled unit. D'oh.

Planned Changes:
-Better Civilopedia entry for the nation
-Possible addition of another UU - maybe carbine calvary
-Addition of other national flags, other potentional leaders

Please help out by giving suggestions or reporting problems. Hope people like it.

No Offense but you really should use their National flag not their battle flag (theres a diffrence)
http://civilwartalk.com/cwt_main/resources/images/starsbars.gif

The UU should be the Sharpshooter(rifleman) or Mosby raider (Cavalry)and Lee was anything but creative(as far as traits go). He fits the Agressive mold better since he could inspire his troops to victory

Just a personal thing Stonewall Jackson should be other leader not Jeff Davis (organized ,Aggresive)

I did jump ahead so im sure some of this has been mentioned

At the risk of sounding un-PC I think that Jefferson Davis version of CSA should be the one civ that favors slavery. The governing body of the Confederacy flatly insisted that it be included in their constitution. They only outlawed the international slave trade by a narrow margin at that.

Maybe they would start with the Slavery civ?

The Confederate Raider would be a good UU, also-- a mod of Cavalry, like Jeb Stuart's troops, that have enhanced 'Pillage' ability.

More historically important, but oft-forgot, is the CSS Hunley-- the Confederates had the first attack submarine; maybe they'd get that as a UU?

As an aside-- I always thought that a good UU for the USA would be the Gatling Gun, but maybe that's just me...

I've been unable to get the mod to work. I extracted the files into my mod directory, and I was able to load it from the Civ4 main menu, but the Confederacy doesn't appear as a choice in single player mode.

icewall said:
At the risk of sounding un-PC I think that Jefferson Davis version of CSA should be the one civ that favors slavery. The governing body of the Confederacy flatly insisted that it be included in their constitution. They only outlawed the international slave trade by a narrow margin at that.
lmao.. His first veto in office was against a bill that legalized the international slave trade. The guy felt that the slaves couldnt be free until they were educated, and so he educated them... illlegally. he eve nsaid that within 20 years from the begining of the civil war that Slavery would be abolished in the southern states regardless of which side won. over 80% of the south didnt have slaves, after the war the US Government had asked many former slaves to write the slave narratives or their experiences, and over 70% responded that they were treated like one of the family and held hig hregard for their masters.

Jeff Davis was 100% anti slavery, but he understood u cant remove the crutch until the man can walk on his own.

meatwad4289 said:
lmao.. His first veto in office was against a bill that legalized the international slave trade. The guy felt that the slaves couldnt be free until they were educated, and so he educated them... illlegally. he eve nsaid that within 20 years from the begining of the civil war that Slavery would be abolished in the southern states regardless of which side won. over 80% of the south didnt have slaves, after the war the US Government had asked many former slaves to write the slave narratives or their experiences, and over 70% responded that they were treated like one of the family and held hig hregard for their masters.

Jeff Davis was 100% anti slavery, but he understood u cant remove the crutch until the man can walk on his own.

Abraham Lincoln was pro-slavery (at least in his early days) and States rights and taxes were far bigger issues in the war in the beginning. Slavery became a major issue after the emancipation proclamation which only freed slaves in the seceded states. Lincoln used it as an issue to put purpose to the war in face of mass desertions because his drafted troops just couldn't relate to the reasons for the war.

Nice civ, i think thats a very good addition to this game. is there any where on here where thier r downloadable leaders for exsisting civs?

any chance this will be adapted to work for Warlords? I really enjoy playing it.:D

Okay folks, I am thinking about updating this one to Warlords. I haven't done a mod for Civ4 and I know the tools are different than those for Civ3. First of all I propose making 3 UU's First is the Rebel Sharp Shooter, Second is the "Horse Artillery", and third will be the Blakeley Rifle. If it needs to be fitted for 5 UU's then I can consider the Hunley, a Virginia Class Ironclad or a Confederate Dirigeable for those units. I am open to other suggestions as well. I'm also considering a rebel soldier with no movement penalties while he is on or close to home soil.

I have no idea what to use as a unique building.

Now for the big questions. What tools do I need to edit or create animated leaderheads? How about for creating and editing units?

Slave whipping post, maybe?

No. You might want to go back to some of the previous posts and read some of the facts about the CSA.

I'm thinking maybe a Cotton Gin or maybe a Town Hall.

The CSA did not fight the war to preserve slavery no more then the Union fought to abolish it.

Don't make me whip out my brain, I hate using it on a Friday ;)

The CSA did not fight the war to preserve slavery no more then the Union fought to abolish it.

Don't make me whip out my brain, I hate using it on a Friday ;)

But they did fight to preserve their right to maintain slavery, and they did employ slaves as a major part of their economy, and they did abuse human life in the process.

Let's not re-write history with apologetics.

But they did fight to preserve their right to maintain slavery, and they did employ slaves as a major part of their economy, and they did abuse human life in the process.

History is already re-written if you believe what you just wrote or were taught it. Slave trade and slave produced materials were a very small part of the southern economy. The fight was against unfair taxation and for enforcement of the constitutional guarantee that those rights not specifically delegated to the federal government were in the domain of the individual states. As far as abuse of human life such abuses were not confined to the South. There were many slaves in the north as well. In addition there were large numbers of people who were in indentured or economic servitude who where physically abused by those to whom they were indebted.

Now, all that said, would someone please tell me where to go on this site or other sites to find out what tools I need to update this mod to warlords. I can handle the XML. What I need to know is what I need to build animated leaderheads and new unit models.

Trust me history is in need of a re-write, the current trash that is taught in public schools about the so called US Civil War is utter and pure anti-southern propaganda, drummed up by the Re constructionist Union Educational system.

Allow me to tear your argument apart :goodjob:

ARGUMENT 1 - "The South fought to preserve their right to maintain slavery":
This is one of the biggest lies taught in schools across the country today, and is the single culprit for the continued existance of the KKK, and racism in the South today, if the truth was taught then the KKK would have died off years ago.

If this statement was true then explain to me these following facts:

1.) The Confederate States of America, banned slavery in 1864, if they fought
this war over slavery then why did the war continue until almost 1866?

2.) If the Union fought to abolish slavery then explain these facts:

(A). The State of Delaware, a Northern / Union State did not ratify the
13th Amendment until February 1901, thus slavery was legal in
Delaware until 1901. If the so called righteous Union fought to
abolish slavery then explain why did they allow Delaware to keep
slaves until the turn of the century?

(B). Abraham Lincoln did not free slaves in the North until after the
war ended.

(C). Abraham Lincolns own words on this matter:
"I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under
the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be
restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." ... My
paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not
either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union
without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by
freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing
some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

(B). No where in the articles of secession does it mention slavery as
a reason or grievance.

(3). Also the Confederate States of America enlisted Black troops before the
war even began (1861), the Southern States of Louisiana and Florida had
the first actual Black troops, which by the way were commanded by Black
officers. The Union only enlisted Black troops after they were unable to
draft new White soldiers due to the Draft Riots throughout the Union.

(4). The South banned international slavery early in its life, and since the
Confederacy had no Slave Ports of its own they could not get any new
slaves. The Northern States of Delaware, Massachusetts, and Maine held
the nations only slave ports in either the CSA or USA.

(5). Out of the entire nation of Dixie only about 3-5% of the population owned
a slave. The slaves were mostly owned by the wealthy plantations, whom
were owned by wealthy textile plant owners in the Northern States, even
the hand full of Southern Aristocrats that existed rarely owned a slave.

Your "facts" are based upon turn of the 20th century re constructionist propaganda used to dis wade Southerners from res erecting the Confederacy, which actually backfired and gave the breath of live to the KKK, if the truth
about the "Civil War" were taught in schools then the Klan would die off.

Here check out this web site, its run by a great Confederate columnist writer by the name of Walter Williams, he is Black by the way.

http://www.thesouthernamerican.org/colour.html

In closing, I'm not surprised that you are mistaken about this period, its not your fault its the fault of the government for feeding lies to all of us. I thought this way as well, that is before I went to the University of Miami (Florida) back in 1999, it took some time, but I finally learned the truth about this matter, and about how this ignorance is not bliss and instead breeds fuel for the KKK's engine and must be wiped out when ever surfaced.

For the record I have a Ph.D in World History from the University of Miami (FLA), one of the, if not the most ethnically diverse colleges in the United States / Occupied Confederate States.

ARGUMENT 1 - "The South fought to preserve their right to maintain slavery":
This is one of the biggest lies taught in schools across the country today, and is the single culprit for the continued existance of the KKK, and racism in the South today, if the truth was taught then the KKK would have died off years ago.

If this statement was true then explain to me these following facts:

1.) The Confederate States of America, banned slavery in 1864, if they fought
this war over slavery then why did the war continue until almost 1866?

They banned the import of slaves into the Confederacy. Not the practice of slavery. See my point further below.

2.) If the Union fought to abolish slavery then explain these facts:

Sorry, I cut the next few points because I never stated that the Union fought with the purpose of eliminating slavery. I do believe this is the case in some measure, but not out of benevolence or recognition of rights for slaves.

(B). No where in the articles of secession does it mention slavery as
a reason or grievance.

Several states identified a threat to slaveholders' rights as a factor in secession in formal declarations. True or false?

Alabama's Ordinence of Secession contains the following:

"...it is the desire and purpose of the people of Alabama to meet the slaveholding States of the South, who may approve such purpose, in order to frame a provisional as well as permanent Government upon the principles of the Constitution of the United States"

And Texas:

"WHEREAS, The recent developments in Federal affairs make it evident that the power of the Federal Government is sought to be made a weapon with which to strike down the interests and property of the people of Texas, and her sister slave-holding States, instead of permitting it to be, as was intended, our shield against outrage and aggression"

And Virginia:

"...and the Federal Government having perverted said powers not only to the injury of the people of Virginia, but to the oppression of the Southern slave-holding States"

So yes, several states identify the issue of slavery in their ordinences of secession.

(3). Also the Confederate States of America enlisted Black troops before the
war even began (1861), the Southern States of Louisiana and Florida had
the first actual Black troops, which by the way were commanded by Black
officers. The Union only enlisted Black troops after they were unable to
draft new White soldiers due to the Draft Riots throughout the Union.

How is this supportive of any point regarding the south's position on slavery?

(4). The South banned international slavery early in its life, and since the
Confederacy had no Slave Ports of its own they could not get any new
slaves. The Northern States of Delaware, Massachusetts, and Maine held
the nations only slave ports in either the CSA or USA.

Again, they banned the import of slaves into the Confederacy. Not the practice of slavery.

The Confederate States Constitution contains the follow clause, true or false?

"No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed [by Congress]"

This is where the argument should end with regard to the CSA's position on slavery.

(5). Out of the entire nation of Dixie only about 3-5% of the population owned
a slave. The slaves were mostly owned by the wealthy plantations, whom
were owned by wealthy textile plant owners in the Northern States, even
the hand full of Southern Aristocrats that existed rarely owned a slave.

Irrelevant. The number of slave owners is not the issue. You may well compare the number of billionaires to the number of poor, then argue that the latter group has more influence based on numbers.

What matters is the number of slaves, not owners, and the level of influence of those owners on politics and socioeconomics.

Your "facts" are based upon turn of the 20th century re constructionist propaganda used to dis wade Southerners from res erecting the Confederacy, which actually backfired and gave the breath of live to the KKK, if the truth
about the "Civil War" were taught in schools then the Klan would die off.

Absurd. The fact is that slavery existed in the south, was instrumental in the maintenance of significant segments of the economy, and was a declared factor in secession by a number of states. The aforementioned is not up for debate.

If you want to discuss why this was true, fine. But the existance of slavery - and the continued support thereof as specified in the CSA constitution - is not debatable.

As for the KKK, that is pure speculation. Racism and organized opposition didn't appear all of a sudden after the Civil War and didn't disappear in the years to follow. And it certainly wasn't absent in the Union.

And please, let's not imply that the KKK was the be all and end all of racial organizations in the US. The mainstream legal system in most states did a fine job of maintaining segregation.

Here check out this web site, its run by a great Confederate columnist writer by the name of Walter Williams, he is Black by the way.

http://www.thesouthernamerican.org/colour.html

I will, thank you.

In closing, I'm not surprised that you are mistaken about this period, its not your fault its the fault of the government for feeding lies to all of us. I thought this way as well, that is before I went to the University of Miami (Florida) back in 1999, it took some time, but I finally learned the truth about this matter, and about how this ignorance is not bliss and instead breeds fuel for the KKK's engine and must be wiped out when ever surfaced.

I'm Canadian, not American. Whatever issues exist in the US school system re: this issue has not affected me. That isn't to say that the Canadian system isn't in need of an overhaul, but the "government feeding me lies" isn't a factor.

For the record I have a Ph.D in World History from the University of Miami (FLA), one of the, if not the most ethnically diverse colleges in the United States / Occupied Confederate States.

You've got one up on me. I've got an Honours Bachelor in History. But I think it's well enough to be able to recognize that slavery in the south wasn't going away after secession - not according to several seceeding states, not according to the CSA constitution.

History is already re-written if you believe what you just wrote or were taught it.

I agree that one needs to think critically about everything they see, hear or read. I also agree that much of what we "know" has been influenced by bias and prejudice and presentism.

But the fact that the earth revolves around the sun is incontrovertible.

The issues of what causes led to WWII, the details surrounding specific events, the discussion of possible outcomes to alternate scenarios are all up for debate.

The fact that Germany and Japan ultimately surrendered is not.

Slave trade and slave produced materials were a very small part of the southern economy. The fight was against unfair taxation and for enforcement of the constitutional guarantee that those rights not specifically delegated to the federal government were in the domain of the individual states.

The relevant questions here are: 1) was cotton the major/most significant variable in the success of the CSA economy prior to the Civil War? 2) was slavery a significant factor in the success of that variable?

I have read little that contradicted 1) yes and 2) yes as answers to those questions. But I'm always willing to learn something new.

From Eugene Dattel's "Cotton in a Global Economy: Mississippi (1800-1860)"

American cotton production soared from 156,000 bales in 1800 to more than 4,000,000 bales in 1860...This astonishing increase in supply did not cause a long-term decrease in the price of cotton. The cotton boom, however, was the main cause of the increased demand for slaves – the number of slaves in America grew from 700,000 in 1790 to 4,000,000 in 1860.

The growth of Mississippi’s population before its admission to statehood and afterwards is distinctly correlated to the rise of cotton production. The white population grew from 5,179 in 1800 to 353,901 in 1860; the slave population correspondingly expanded from 3,489 to 436,631. Cotton production in Mississippi exploded from nothing in 1800 to 535.1 million pounds in 1859; Alabama ranked second with 440.5 million pounds.

So it would seem to me that - at least for some states - growth was tied directly to cotton, and slavery was tied directly to support thereof prior to 1860.

As far as abuse of human life such abuses were not confined to the South. There were many slaves in the north as well. In addition there were large numbers of people who were in indentured or economic servitude who where physically abused by those to whom they were indebted.

Agree 100%

Now, all that said, would someone please tell me where to go on this site or other sites to find out what tools I need to update this mod to warlords. I can handle the XML. What I need to know is what I need to build animated leaderheads and new unit models.

Building animated leaderheads is extremely difficult and at present (unless I am mistaken) you can only create non-shader versions of new leaderheads. But you can still accomplish a lot for mixing bits and parts of existing leaderheads, and recolouring and retexturing objects, etc.

Check C. Roland's tutorial for leaderheads. You will need Blender and Nifskope.

Top Bottom