1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Expansion Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob the Bruce

Bob the Bruce Chieftain

I wonder if the new oil rig would be an improvement that you can place in any ocean tile, and require an oil resource on them. That seems to make sense to me since it would be weird to see oil on the surface from deep sea deposits.

nzcamel and WillowBrook like this.
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

It makes me a little more skeptical of the entire image to be honest. Why would an existing model be in a display showing new art?

Not enough to discredit the whole thing 100% but it does put a doubt into my mind.

TahamiTsunami and AvianBritish like this.
  3. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

I agree that that tile improvement is not new; to me it is still the same old "Offshore Oil Rig" tile improvement from the base game. If anything, if the leaks are real, that it's mechanics have been updated.

Because Oil generates power (plastics and other things; but let's just focus on the "power" aspect) but release CO2 as a byproduct, I am willing to bet that Offshore Oil Rig and Oil Wells will now generate "Heat" or some sort of value to scale with Global Warming. I say this because it's right next to the alternative which is a Offshore Wind Farm, which could generate slight less energy but will not have as much "Heat" generated and slightly less other environmental issues (but if we are talking irl, they still cause issues for birds which I completely disagree with)

So perhaps the comparison would be:
    Offshore Oil Rig:
    +2 Production (Oil alone provides from +3, totalling at +5)
    -2 Appeal (decreased from -1)
    +2 Heat
    +/- 0 Noise
    Must be built on Oil resource on Coast or Ocean.

Offshore Wind Farm:
    +2 Production
    -1 Appeal
    +/- 0 Heat
    +1 Noise
    Must be built on Ocean tiles. (so the set back for spamming this is that Ocean tiles only yield 1 food by default and are normally too distant for cities to work)

Of course the same thing could occur with their land equivalents:
    Oil Well:
    +2 Production (Oil alone provides from +3, totalling at +5)
    -2 Appeal (decreased from -1)
    +2 Heat
    +/- 0 Noise
    Must be built on Oil resource on land.

Wind Farm:
    +2 Production
    -1 Appeal
    +/- 0 Heat
    +1 Noise
    Must be built on Desert Hills, Plains Hills or Grassland Hills not adjacent to Forest or Rain-forest.

Solar Farm:
    +1 Production
    -1 Appeal
    +/- 0 Heat
    +/-0 Noise
    Must be built on flat land on Desert, Plains or Grassland.

I'm not sure what "Noise" will do; but that is a huge negative for wind farms.

4. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Chieftain

Anyone know where to look at the image of the 'queen'? I had a glance yesterday, but had to run off to work without having time ton have a good look. Now I can't find it. At the time I thought it was just a modded version of Tamar...

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

To show scale?

6. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

You know, it's occurred to me that the reddit user name "Duke Bilgewater" is a reference to the character of one of the frauds in Huckleberry Finn.
    Not saying it's fake, but it IS weird.

TahamiTsunami and Guandao like this.
  7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

He was just reposting it to reddit from the website we can't say the name of.

TahamiTsunami and Guandao like this.
  8. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

If they're going the production-with-a-cost route (pollution, climate change, etc) then making rain forests a natural offset would be a way to dissuade the Chop Everything meta we find ourselves in.

Bosque, TahamiTsunami, Temppu and 3 others like this.
  9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that, not only will they add a Diplomatic Victory, but they'll also remove the Religious Victory.

Personally, it never sat right with me that a specific civ (Kongo) is incapable of winning one of the game's four VCs. And on top of that, each game roughly half the civs (the ones who didn't found a religion) can't win that VC either.

acluewithout likes this.
  10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

If they go down that road, they better make religious benefits a whole whole lot better . . .

11. Boccages

Boccages Chieftain

When they start adding waterbased tiles, often very unrealistic ones, I think they've run out of ideas and I'm not interested.

nzcamel likes this.
  12. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

I hope not. I think the game is more than big enough for five (or even six) victory types. The solution to Congo being unable to compete for a Religious Victory is to rework Congo or religion, not to throw out Religious Victories altogether.

13. shaglio

I could see them leaving it in if they change it so that civs who don't found a religion can still win a Religious Victory by spreading their majority religion. Maybe require them to have 100% of their own cities converted, rather than the standard 50%

nzcamel and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  14. Bob the Bruce

Bob the Bruce Chieftain

What about changing it so that whomever controls the Holy City of the religion is the one that can win by spreading it.

qadams, nzcamel, Cyon and 8 others like this.
  15. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I'd actually like this to be a thing. The owner of the Holy City, must have 100% of your cities, no other religion present, etc.

16. shaglio

That's another option. Anything to prevent half the civs from being shut out of one of the (currently) 4 VC's.

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

You'd have to be really careful to not allow someone to snipe victory away really easily with a last minute city capture.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  18. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

The way I'd do it is to allow any Civ that didn't found a religion to launch a Reformation once the Reformed Church civic is researched. A Reformation would split any religion affecting one or more of your cities into a new religion with the same beliefs (sans Founder Beliefs, which I think should remain exclusive to those who found religions) as the parent religion. There would be diplomatic penalties with the founder of the original religion, naturally. This way you get full control over your religion if you push for an early Great Prophet but can still compete for a Religious Victory if you get shut out.

19. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Pretty strange comparison. Aquitaine and Provence are different regions of France. America wouldn't encompass the Cree and Mapuche because those aren't the indigenous peoples of the USA (the Cree live in Canada, and the Mapuche are in Chile).

I present to thee, Queen "Waifu"!
    leaked leader concept art.png

20. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

That would make war even more op.

Although is already so op that I don't think it would actually matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.