1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Expansion Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 679x

679x Chieftain

A cool idea, yea, but it would indeed be quite easy to snipe an entire victory without actually contributing anything to it. Imagine: your civ neighbour spends the entire game working really hard on religion, spreading it to all corners of the world. Meanwhile, you don't bother your neighbour, nor try to make your own religion. Perhaps you just passively gather some faith along the way. Eventually, your neighbour is just about to win via religious victory, then you declare war and capture their holy city, and end up winning as a result with very minimal effort toward that victory. Also, what happens if you have your own religion, but then capture an enemy holy city? Do you now have two religions under your name? Does one of those religions need to become dominant over the other in order for you to win, or do all other civs just have to have either of your religions be dominant among them?

At first, I thought this would have the same problem as the other idea, where you could just piggyback off of others without doing much work of your own. But, if you create your own religion split, you'd have to put in effort to make sure your religion actually takes hold.

This idea does pose a whole new problem, though, which is that it'd be quite a bit more difficult for other civs to win a religious victory, because if their religion was dominant in all of your cities, you could just split it off into a new one and they wouldn't be able to win because your cities would no longer be following their religion. Unless this split religion can still contribute to the original founder's religious victory (so that splitting a religion can't be used to merely delay an enemy's victory), as well as contributing to the splitter's own religious victory, in which case the splitter would have to make their version more potent than the original in order to win. Sounds fun, but really complicated.

In the end, I'd certainly like to see some way to win a religious victory even if you miss out on a Great Prophet. It would help civs like Spain or Georgia which are more geared toward religious victories, but have no solid way to guarantee themselves a chance at a Great Prophet. One could argue that since you weren't quick enough to get one, then tough luck, and you should deal with it... but I don't find it at all to be a good thing that a civ can put in lots of effort toward the path to a victory and suddenly be shut out from getting it, making their entire early-game efforts fruitless. After all, no other victory functions at all like that.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

There's still some Cree in northern Montana apparently. :p
    Anyway if we had to get another Civ in the geographical boundaries of France, let it be Gaul.

TahamiTsunami, Hawke9, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  3. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

I would just make it so the city in which you launch the Reformation becomes the Holy City for your new offshoot religion while the rest of your cities remain unchanged until you do something about it. You'd still need beat back the parent religion through normal means (passive pressure, religious combat, inquisitors, etc).

4. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

They could do it with some sort of 'schism' mechanic or such. I.e. if a holy city is captured by another civ, it launches an emergency. If it fails, the target gets control of the holy city and religion, but half the new cities would split off into another religion or something (maybe a new one with a new holy city, or maybe just split into different existing ones - i.e. akin to a mass inquisition pressure removal etc) So the owner would have to respread the religion to win.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  5. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

And there you go. If a Holy City is captured it triggers a Big Thing[tm]. Problem solved.

And since I'm a guy that likes to win with religious victory, this would make it even more interesting for me... "I'm getting close, time to make darn sure my Holy City is an armed camp."

nzcamel likes this.
  6. Rayyy

Rayyy Chieftain

Could it be done like Venice in Civ 5?

7. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

I can confirm, the Cree borders don't care for "Canada" and "America". While most Cree peoples live(d) to the north and the west and east of the Great Lakes, making them predominantly in Canada, their lands were huge and stretched into what is now the northern U.S.

8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Oh, those?....well they originally came down from Canada. :p

The idea that an American Civ should encompass the Cree is ridiculous, is what I'm getting at here.

9. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Context's a bit different though. There was no Italian Civ when Venice was added, where as Civ 6 already has a French Civ. Nobody would add Venice as a separate Civ if Italy already existed in the game...

TahamiTsunami and Guandao like this.
  10. ghost88

ghost88 Chieftain

As did the Apache and Navajo among others,both are of the Athabaskan family of languages as are the First Americans of Alaska.

11. Haig

Haig Warlord

Mystery lady:

And now here's a drawing of her:

Another one:

Each of them has blonde hair, white "veil" thing on head (don't know the proper word), blue+red clothes, crown

12. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

It does look like Queen Doe may be carrying a sword..?

13. gozon

gozon Chieftain

We know the base game has "Madrid" as its codename. Madrid is just the capital of one of the civs included in the base game, and it doesn't tell us a whole lot of game mechanics, etc.

Vesuvius, if it really is the codename for the 2nd expansion, could just simply be one of the natural wonders.

Do we know the codename of Rise and Fall?

14. Rayyy

Rayyy Chieftain

I mean would it fit a one city-state civ mechanic like Venice?

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

GH was the codename, at least on the depot. Many have speculated what it might have meant.

16. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I'm still not convinced that the Blond Queen is genuine, but if she is I'd prefer Æþelflæd to Eleanor, who makes little sense for England (which has better alternatives like Elizabeth or Henry V) and far less for France.

17. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

As well as this, even if it is concept art for the next expansion it still doesn't mean that it is leader concept art

18. jddods

jddods Chieftain

Exactly

19. Art Grin

Art Grin Chieftain

How would they get around the Rome (city that is not the civilization) issue? Rome is the capital of the unified Italy and as the seat of the Papacy played a crucial role in Italian pre-unification history. I guess they could bypass this issue by having Turin or Florence as the Italian capital. But it would still be pretty awkward to have Italy without Rome.

TahamiTsunami, nzcamel and Haig like this.
  20. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

Maybe the mystery queen won't make it into the game at all. The base game had concept art for both George Washington and a Roman leader (Hadrian or Antoninus Pius?), both of whom have yet to make any form of appearance. Though admittedly, both of them were merely drawn as busts rather than full-body like Æthelonore of Murcuitaine here, but you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.