New Game- random leader:Roosevelt

Libraries provide culture for border pops too.

Point of getting Myst is to take advantage of the Stone and build the Stonehenge. Sometimes it's for Oracle if there's Marble (there isn't).

If you aren't going to get the Stonehenge, then Writing > Myst.

But yes, get granaries up everywhere. Once you have writing, get a library in both your capital and second city. In fact, you would want to whip it out in the second city so that you can take advantage of the gold ASAP.

In the meantime, cottage up city#2 and extend roads to city#3. Remember to send a settler AND a worker to that spot simultaneously so you can immediately improve the moment you make the city.

Finally, micro your cities. Make sure ALL of your important tiles are being worked. Your second city should be working the pigs and the copper, and your capital should be working the hill, the rice, and the cow.

Joe, looks ok. Yes, keep on with Myst. Sorry, I should have mentioned it anyway. In this case you want fastest border pop.

I might have gone to size 4 in Ulundi before 2nd settler, but this is still good as you have 3 strong tiles to work. I like the tile sharing between the 2 cities. Ulundi can take back pigs next turn a bit to get to size 4.

Whip worker now in Ummagumma and put OF in Gran. Worker can immediately chop forest there and then start cottage. After Ulundi hits size 4, Umma can take Pigs back briefly to get to size 2 for IMMEDIATE Monument whip.

Other workers can tag team road to new city and start improving.

(Be careful with useless early roads. I see 2 of them. You only need a road to Umm. Now road on Pigs could have been part of that link, but you added extra roads. Also, you actually stepped into a forest - losing a turn - and put down an unnecessary road - chopping the forest would have been worth it though. This is wasted worker turns. Not a big deal at all on this level, but something to think about as these worker turns become more crucial on higher levels. Workers could be chopping or cottaging or something useful)

report back the turn you settle new city for a check in - no further

:lol: Divergent opinions. I'm still of the opinion you should get the Pyramids. This map screams "Pyramids."

If you're not planning to get the Pyramids, you're going to need Monarchy pretty soon. Your "problem" if you could call it that is you're expansive (fast granaries) and your land is crawling with food. Population's going to explode once granaries are up. Monarchy gives you Hereditary Rule, thereby solving all of your unhappiness issues.

Make sure to station 1 unit in each city to cancel the unhappiness bonus for leaving undefended cities....

Joe, looks ok. Yes, keep on with Myst. Sorry, I should have mentioned it anyway. In this case you want fastest border pop.

I might have gone to size 4 in Ulundi before 2nd settler, but this is still good as you have 3 strong tiles to work. I like the tile sharing between the 2 cities. Ulundi can take back pigs next turn a bit to get to size 4.

Whip worker now in Ummagumma and put OF in Gran. Worker can immediately chop forest there and then start cottage. After Ulundi hits size 4, Umma can take Pigs back briefly to get to size 2 for IMMEDIATE Monument whip.

Other workers can tag team road to new city and start improving.

(Be careful with useless early roads. I see 2 of them. You only need a road to Umm. Now road on Pigs could have been part of that link, but you added extra roads. Also, you actually stepped into a forest - losing a turn - and put down an unnecessary road - chopping the forest would have been worth it though. This is wasted worker turns. Not a big deal at all on this level, but something to think about as these worker turns become more crucial on higher levels. Workers could be chopping or cottaging or something useful)

report back the turn you settle new city for a check in - no further

Spoiler :

Settled 3rd city. Monument or granary first?

Attachments

• Joe BC-2000a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.7 KB · Views: 28
Ok, Joe. A little pop quiz here, what is wrong in this picture?:

Spoiler :

Once you answer that correctly, I will proceed on advice for next set.

edit: And don't read these chumps' post below before you answer :cool:

ha..I don't think Joe sleeps

a hint? I don't think that question is very hard at all.

Joe - I have a very specific plan that I just tested out for you next.

(edit: I have to call it for the evening, Joe. You disappear as quickly as you appear...ha. Anyway I want to go through this next turns very slowly with you)

A bit of a hint, CivNoobie? It's been discussed ad nauseam earlier in this thread.

All the noobsters (including me) have to post the answers to lymond in spoilers. I hope that Joe won't check the inside for correct answers :). Then it would be like copying partner's answers in math lesson and failing in real test. No I'm not telling that I excpect you to do it, just want that you solve this yourself and try the quiz myself at the same time.
Spoiler :
No, don't open if you are Joe ;)!
Spoiler :
You should work Rice instead of that livestock animal for more :food:, less :hammers:. Then whip and get more :hammers: than working the animal?
Correct?

Spoiler :
No. He's not working the rice tile. Period. That's a mistake. He should be sharing resources between the cities.

I haven't read the whole thread, but my answer to Lymond's quiz is:

Spoiler :
The city will soon grow back to unhappiness and the last whip anger has not gone away yet so it's probably too soon to whip again. The smaller city to the SW should be working the pig and the capital should be working the rice instead. But also, you might not want to be working so many food tiles until you are ready to whip again, so maybe work a 4:hammers: for a few turns instead

@Culture Bomb
Spoiler :
Working a weak 4:hammers: tile instead of something great like 5:food: (which is worth +10:hammers: when transformed via whip) would be a horrible mis-micro. It's much better to grow into unhappiness planning to whip a settler/worker. Don't be afraid of the unhappiness, but avoid it if you can. The important thing is to always work the best tiles.

Soooo..
Spoiler :
Whip converts 1 :food: to 2 :hammers:?? Overpowered! Awesome.

Kinda...

Spoiler :

It's just a rule of thumb for new players, really. At size 5, it takes 15 food to grow to size 6 (assuming a Granary, of course). So you get a conversion rate of 2:1 at that point - 30 :hammers: for 15 :food:.

And the answer is Joe should be mass spamming scouts since he didn't pop enough of them with ludicrhuts :mischief:

Spoiler :
The winner of the cookie though has a username that kinda rhymes with one of Ned Stark's daughter. Yeah...I'm a huge SOIAF fan, so sue me :D

Spoiler :
If I'm not mistaken, he also doesn't have an MP for the city. He needs to leave the axeman that will finish next turn in the city to prevent it from becoming unhappy.

Ok, Joe. A little pop quiz here, what is wrong in this picture?:

Spoiler :

Once you answer that correctly, I will proceed on advice for next set.

edit: And don't read these chumps' post below before you answer :cool:

The city isn't working the food?

BTW- I go to bed around 10:30 PM (AZ time) weekdays, later on weekends.

@lymond: What? Is his daughter named Robert :confused:?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very funny Robert. I believe he is referring to Sansa and that he did not read your earlier posting to know that you too gave the same answer earlier.

OK, but the victory goes to a "FIN" in any case...right :confused:?

Top Bottom