New Game- random leader:Roosevelt

Ok, Joe. A little pop quiz here, what is wrong in this picture?:

Spoiler :

The Answer, since I don't see it anywhere yet:

The capital, at pop 3, is working the cow, copper, pig, while the wet rice is unworked.

Meanwhile the 2nd city is working flood plains.

At least one of the Pig or the copper should be worked by the 2nd city this turn.

"The city isn't working the food?" is about half right.

Early on, no high yield tile should go unworked, including low-food tiles like the copper.

So, if you were to switch off that copper in favor of the rice, that would be fine. You could grow to unhappiness in 2 turns (size 4) and 2 pop whip another settler. That is one option.

A better play I think would be to give both the Pig and Copper to your 2nd city, since you have 2 more mines in your capital's bfc and 14 turns of unhappiness.

Something that wasn't mentioned, is that it looks like the city will be unhappy after it grows to size 4 in 3 more turns, because it lacks a garrison, but an axe will be out in 1 turn, so the city will be happy at size 4 and should be grown to size 4 asap.

Lymond already said I win the cookie dough. :3

Something that wasn't mentioned, is that it looks like the city will be unhappy after it grows to size 4 in 3 more turns, because it lacks a garrison, but an axe will be out in 1 turn, so the city will be happy at size 4 and should be grown to size 4 asap.

+1

This too.

But its not a small thing to let even 1 turn of a good tile like a wet rice or hill pig early in the game go to waste.

So, final answer (can I get a life line? Yes):

Switch Pig and Copper to city 2. Work West rice and a mined hill instead. Revisit city on next turn.

Or, basically what Flippy said. Look through your city screens every turn.

Once you guys learn the game and play open minded, you will know that there are many ways to play this game and that every thing you do have consequences. The best play is learning to be at the edge of financial collapse and horizontal expansion in the early mid game. There are many ways to do it.

But the one truth about the game is that the games biggest cheat is the most powerful feature. That is the whip and whip overflow. Whip is so powerful it is unbalanced but not using it is self handicapping.

So sharing the food tiles with the second city would have been a just as powerful (if not more powerful since there are no MP's) of a play as letting the capital grow to unhappy. Go figure. Also unhappy pop does add maintenance.

So sharing the food tiles with the second city would have been a just as powerful (if not more powerful since there are no MP's) of a play as letting the capital grow to unhappy. Go figure. Also unhappy pop does add maintenance.
It does have a MP (starting from next turn) as was already pointed out. Certainly giving good tiles to other cities to avoid unhappiness would be more powerful than deliberately growing into unhappiness, but that was not the point. The point was that there was a 5:food:-tile unworked, something that you never should have.

I'll be able to pick up this game in about two hours. Any suggestions for what I should be doing at this point (once I switch to the correct tiles)?

Joe..I"m on the case..give me a moment

Robert FINLAND said:
@lymond: What? Is his daughter named Robert :confused:?

Dang Fins! They're taking over! Well, his best friend and King was named Robert, so you are half right. ;) ....and you actually are. However, not the right tile switch.

JoeArizona said:
The city isn't working the food?

Arizona? And you don't play golf :lol:?

Yes, you are not maxing food right now while growing. Copper should be switched to Rice this turn and new Axe will neutralize unhappy temporarily. But unhappy citizens are not that big a deal if you USE them...they are free production and I will show you this very soon.

Umma is ok at the moment as is since it will grow next turn and whip monument. Ulundi should work max food.

So give me a few minutes. I need to run my test again just for memory sake and will give you a detail plan for the next several turns.

It does have a MP (starting from next turn) as was already pointed out. Certainly giving good tiles to other cities to avoid unhappiness would be more powerful than deliberately growing into unhappiness, but that was not the point. The point was that there was a 5:food:-tile unworked, something that you never should have.

What is that saying about the preaching to the something or the other? ;)

What is that saying about the preaching to the something or the other? ;)
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, as English is not my native language. But imo the correct answer to the question was simply "corn is not worked" and there were many ways to get it worked. No need to go into further detail at this point, is there?

Well, the obnoxious choirboy did miss the MP.

Da plan:

First, Warrior west of Umma is kinda pointless now. Move him up to Nob for MP. Axe there can move to border edge, but stay in borders. Impi in the East can move 1SW and station there for best spawnbust position (remember spawnbust is 5X5 tile area from unit)

Warrior just N of Mongol lands is kinda pointless, but you might want to try to get him to Woody3 for excellent supermedic later and HE unlock, so he can wander about a bit NW to pick off barbs - on defensive position.

Ok...cities:

1) Ulundi switches copper to rice tile this turn. Axe finishes next turn. You don't need units so just queue up Stonehenge for now to grow (you won't complete it but will get some fail gold when someone does. Grow Ulundi to size 6 (this will be your stopping point.

(and notice how fast Ulundi is growing now. Only 2 turns to grow after hitting pop 4 even as it grows onto food deficit copper tile)

2) Again, Umma should have started with monument because you want access to Gold asap. However, since so many hammer are in Granary, keep as is. 1 pop whip Granary next turn for 21H OF (overflow) into monument next turn. Chop will finish Monument easily with some OF.

3) Nob doesn't need border pop urgently since it has all it's best tiles. So start Granary now. EXP Grans are the same cost as a Monument, so simply 1pop whip it immediately at Size 2. Faster you get Gran the faster you benefit from it. OF into Ikhanda, whip that into Monument immediately as size 2. Bam bam bam...you have 3 key infra buildings in just a few turns. (just remember you can do this because EXP and AGG traits are give production bonus on the Gran and Ikhanda(barracks) making them half the production cost)

Once rice is complete in Nob, switch cow to rice as this will allow you to grow Nob to pop 2 immediately and then whip Gran the next turn.

Worker micro

Umma worker finishes chop and start cottage on FP 1N

Nob worker on cow finishes pasture. The moves onto forest to chop.

Nob worker on Stone moves to farm rice. Then build road on rice

OK.. that should be enough to get you to a point where Ulundi is Size 6 and Writing at 1t to completion. Absolutely stop immediately when Ulundi hits size 6 and post.

Ulundi will have 2 unhappies at this point (1 will where off in 1t) but we are going to use that 1 unhappy for something very important I want to show you

Once you post that save, we will play the next 2 or 3 turns very slowly together.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, as English is not my native language. But imo the correct answer to the question was simply "corn is not worked" and there were many ways to get it worked. No need to go into further detail at this point, is there?
Since English is not you native language let me clarify that the term preaching to the choir means that we are in agreement that the 5 food tile should be used.
Well, the obnoxious choirboy did miss the MP.
Really?

Da plan:

First, Warrior west of Umma is kinda pointless now. Move him up to Nob for MP. Axe there can move to border edge, but stay in borders. Impi in the East can move 1SW and station there for best spawnbust position (remember spawnbust is 5X5 tile area from unit)

Warrior just N of Mongol lands is kinda pointless, but you might want to try to get him to Woody3 for excellent supermedic later and HE unlock, so he can wander about a bit NW to pick off barbs - on defensive position.

Ok...cities:

1) Ulundi switches copper to rice tile this turn. Axe finishes next turn. You don't need units so just queue up Stonehenge for now to grow (you won't complete it but will get some fail gold when someone does. Grow Ulundi to size 6 (this will be your stopping point.

(and notice how fast Ulundi is growing now. Only 2 turns to grow after hitting pop 4 even as it grows onto food deficit copper tile)

2) Again, Umma should have started with monument because you want access to Gold asap. However, since so many hammer are in Granary, keep as is. 1 pop whip Granary next turn for 21H OF (overflow) into monument next turn. Chop will finish Monument easily with some OF.

3) Nob doesn't need border pop urgently since it has all it's best tiles. So start Granary now. EXP Grans are the same cost as a Monument, so simply 1pop whip it immediately at Size 2. Faster you get Gran the faster you benefit from it. OF into Ikhanda, whip that into Monument immediately as size 2. Bam bam bam...you have 3 key infra buildings in just a few turns. (just remember you can do this because EXP and AGG traits are give production bonus on the Gran and Ikhanda(barracks) making them half the production cost)

Once rice is complete in Nob, switch cow to rice as this will allow you to grow Nob to pop 2 immediately and then whip Gran the next turn.

Worker micro

Umma worker finishes chop and start cottage on FP 1N

Nob worker on cow finishes pasture. The moves onto forest to chop.

Nob worker on Stone moves to farm rice. Then build road on rice

OK.. that should be enough to get you to a point where Ulundi is Size 6 and Writing at 1t to completion. Absolutely stop immediately when Ulundi hits size 6 and post.

Ulundi will have 2 unhappies at this point (1 will where off in 1t) but we are going to use that 1 unhappy for something very important I want to show you

Once you post that save, we will play the next 2 or 3 turns very slowly together.

Spoiler :

Stopping point.

Attachments

• Joe BC-1720a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    72.5 KB · Views: 28
ok..i'm checking...give me a moment

Ok..Good job Joe

You are going to play just 1 turn here and post again

So...

1) Ulundi take back copper this turn and queue up a settler (unqueue Stonehenge completely)

See the screenshot and notice my cursor hovered over just left of production bar. Due to food and hammers (settlers and workers are built with both...I think you know that by now), you are putting 21 production into 100H Settler this turn. (we will check this next turn as well)

2) Good...you see chop finished Granary so quick in Nob. Ikhanda next and whip immediately at size 3 into Monument

3) Umma works cottage FP and FP. Worker moves to FP 1N of gold to cottage. Should finish just in time for border pop and working gold.

4) Both workers near Nob will move to forest tile 1SW of rice to start road to Mongols. This will give you foreign trade routes quite early for a nice boost to commerce..so important.

5) Obviously open borders with everyone now that you have writing

6) Since Mids was not an early goal, I'd like you to run Alpha now. 18 turns X -5 gold equals 90 gold which you don't have currently, so run 0% slider this turn to accumulate some gold.

(also, that warrior is in a nice spawnbust position next to Pigs, yet you moved him north for some reason. Don't do that. Keep your spawnbust positions. Other warrior way West can fortify on a forested or jungle hill to catch barbs for now and get experience for Woody 3)

Ok...play one more turn and post

Top Bottom