New IGN info on Warlords

Yes, I posted that I hope that's the case, too. It'd be nice to have a world project that appears before the modern era, too.

With 11 traits and 2 combos, there would be 54 total civ leaders using various traits except for industrious and philosophical. In X-pack, only 36 leaders are present.

I wonder who's going to be aggresive and protective? That's a serious warmongering attribute.

hmm, aggressive and defensive (which is what protective is), probably not the mongols as it would make sense for them to have imperialistic because of thier expansion.

China? one of them could get the imperialistic and the Qui Huan guy (the second Chinese leader) might get the Protective, but China isn't really known for a history of conquest or military achievements outside the region of modern day China so I doubt aggressive would be one.

if Monty got it, he would be even MORE of a threat because he is already psycho and a Monty with improved city defenses would be harder to beat, so I hope he doesn't get it.

The protective trait would benefit a civ which has good archers or maybe historically had powerful archers. The Malinese and Chinese have archer based UU but I don't know if they will get thier traits changed, the Mongols have a horse archer but will this trait affect thier UU also? because it would make them more powerful.

China is the only one I can really think of which had good defenses (for a while anyway).

Mad2rix said:
With 11 traits and 2 combos, there would be 54 total civ leaders using various traits except for industrious and philosophical. In X-pack, only 36 leaders are present.

I wonder who's going to be aggresive and protective? That's a serious warmongering attribute.
Probably no one. As you suggest, the combination could be considered overpowered, and a lot of sets of traits will not be present.

Mad2rix said:

Atropos said:
Probably no one. As you suggest, the combination could be considered overpowered, and a lot of sets of traits will not be present.

Why would it be overpowered? The Drill promotions will only affect the archer units and the artillery (not confirmed as to whether that means seige, but I will assume it is for now). None of those units will get the Combat I promotion so I don't see it as being that strong. As for cheap barracks, city walls and castles, I also don't see that as being a problem. A few catapults can bring down the defenses anyway. It would just mean that you would need better planning when taking on an aggressive/protective leader. The benefit of walls and castles are reduced because it has a limited life span and can be replicated with culture. At best it would prevent any early non seige rushes (which could be good).

An interesting aspect of it could be that it may warrant using the archer units on the offensive. That would be cool.

Watiggi

It IS overpowered, though, because Aggressive already gives you a free promotion effectively. So you will see all archers being given 1 bonus City Garrison along with the Free Drill promotions from Protective. Not to mention what happens AFTER they get barracks in the city.
The point is that a leader with these traits will be able to happily pound away at their enemies, fairly confident in the knowledge that they can thwart any counter-offensive ;)!

Aussie_Lurker.

P.S: I soooooo hope that naval combat will be much, MUCH more important in this XP. It has improved between Civ3 and Civ4, but is still lacking. Given the strong naval element of the Peloponesian Wars, improved naval combat is almost a NECCESSITY!!!!

Which set of traits you think they were considered to be overpowered or pointless besides the ones I mentioned?

Mad2rix said:
Which set of traits you think they were considered to be overpowered or pointless besides the ones I mentioned?

Organised/Charismatic
Organised/Imperialism - fast cheap expansion.
Charismatic/Expansive - larger cities all round +2 happiness, +3 healthiness.
Charismatic/Financial - can upgrade at 25% cheaper. With the financial trait...

I've seem to have been neglecting my "warlords" knowlege, what is worse, i don't seem to be able to find the info.

1. Which Civs are we gonna get ?
2. Are there any new units (except the civ specific units) ?
3. Are there any rule changes ? Like artillery can attack naval or naval can attack land ?

Aegis said:
Of course, Chariots and Horse Archers ignore first strikes, which might lead to players using those units more. Personally, I would love to play as Protective since I love First Strikes (The Samurai are my favorite unit).
:goodjob: :lol:

Then we'd have:
Siege (!!!) weapons which are to be used in suicidal way
Chariots as primary means to take city (have you ever seen a chariot cruising through a bazaar?)
Bowmen which can only be taken out be improved ICBMs
Helis which speed up when following railroads...

Becomes more and more a real simulation ;)

Commander Bello said:
:goodjob: :lol:

Then we'd have:
Siege (!!!) weapons which are to be used in suicidal way
Chariots as primary means to take city (have you ever seen a chariot cruising through a bazaar?)
Bowmen which can only be taken out be improved ICBMs
Helis which speed up when following railroads...

Becomes more and more a real simulation ;)

I must agree.
However, i always felt bad about archers mowed down by axemen!
A city is better guarded by an axeman than by an archer, it's nuts!

Now the helicopters slower than railroads are somehow silly, too, don't you think?

Well, a easily implemented solution to the chariot problem is to have units like them-and tanks for that matter-incapable of taking cities. I do believe that this is easily done in XML, so maybe they can just go ahead and do it.
As for this game being 'simulation'-last time I checked, no one ever really claimed it was-the descrepancy between 'combat time' and normal time is simply to great for it to fit that mould.

Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Oh, lastly, all those bothered by cultural borders overtaking the Great Wall. NikG (one of our modders), is developing a mod which makes culture harder to overtake certain 'natural boundries'-and I wouldn't be suprised if the GW will be added to this. (O/T I know, but felt I had to say it!)

Aussie_Lurker.

This pleases me. Although hopefully is totally stopped at peaks and totally unpassable terrain. I hope however, that this is merely a step to having political border expansion based on cities, forts and 'outposts' rather than culture production from your cities.

See the trailer yet anyone? Gosh, so not like Civ. :lol:

Interesting pics. Too bad they weren't actual screenshots of the scenario.

Wow. +4 Road Movement -1 to Terrain Movement cost. I knew he conquered quickly but geeze! It must be a big map.

Thanks Thunderfall. :goodjob:

I'd say that is probably from one of the Asian scenario.

Top Bottom