New NESes, ideas, development, etc

This map gives me hope.

Im always willing to join a SK game :D

I'd play- I find the period there interesting enough to be worth it.

So I was thinking of running a historical NES starting in either c. 1450, 1492, 1493, or 1495. I have a few basic systems laid out, and all would be welcome. I would plan to run it at least through 1570, probably with 3-5 year turns (at least for the beginning).

Players would be welcome to take any nation, organization, or people, or group, or family, or house, or bank, or whatever. Rules would be designed (aside from some universal stats and mechanics) based on which things people want to play. Ideally, most players would be European.

Ork- you absolutely need to check out Birdjaguar's NES from that period. He did an AMAZING job- with a really unique story-based way of updating. Several of the nations had really exciting life and personality. You should see if he'll just let you continue his old NES- it truly was awesome!

I know of at least one NESer (TLK) in Pennsylvania, although he lives clear on the other side of it from me, so I'm not sure that counts. I know there are a few NESers in Ohio, but those don't really count either. I've tried to introduce people to this forum, but none of them have stayed beyond like a week :mad: So, no NESers near me (that I know of), either.

Anywho, the not particularly good map below is a world map of the AH.com timeline Disaster at Leuthen in the year 1850. (The PoD here is that Frederick the Great falls of his horse at the Battle of Leuthen, and Prussia and friends lose the *Seven Years War.)

Spoiler :

This may morph into an actual NES (starting in 1850) sometime mid-to-late next year.

Claaaassic alternatehistory.com TL.

"Oh, okay, that's a cool PoD, interesting premise..."

*reads further*

"Wait, what is Napoleon doing in the Sardinian army? That's kinda unrealistic and coincidental...well at least they named him Napoleone..."

*reads further*

"NAPOLEON F*CKING BONAPARTE, EMPEROR OF LOUISIANA. AND HE'S FRENCH NOW OR SOMETHING. AND ANDREW JACKSON IS DOING SH*T OR WHATEVER EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Suspension of disbelief destroyed, immersion broken, brb gouging out my eyes so that I never waste an hour of my time like this again."

*reads further*

"Wait, what is Napoleon doing in the Sardinian army? That's kinda unrealistic and coincidental...well at least they named him Napoleone..."

*reads further*

"NAPOLEON F*CKING BONAPARTE, EMPEROR OF LOUISIANA. AND HE'S FRENCH NOW OR SOMETHING. AND ANDREW JACKSON IS DOING SH*T OR WHATEVER EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS NO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Suspension of disbelief destroyed, immersion broken, brb gouging out my eyes so that I never waste an hour of my time like this again."

As long as that kind of tomfoolery doesn't seep into the mod's modding style, I don't mind it too much.

I'd be so down for that. But Poland's borders lol.

The Polish eastern border is a significant part of the reason why I said "not particularly good map" :)

*reads further*

*reads further*

It's valid criticism, and there are admittedly a few parts of the TL I don't like. (It's Jerome Bonaparte in Louisiana, btw, not Napoleon)

I really don't find the "OTL historical figures popping up in different places" phenomenon that frustrating. Fictional figures are far less compelling from the standpoint of most TLs (except in cases of the most well-written and discerning authors) than ready-made template personalities from OTL, which the reader/player can divine some kind of historical irony from following their exploits.

Or whatever.

Mexico. Make it happen.

Alternatively, insane Marching Band NES, with players playing band directors.

It's frustrating because it's deterministic and lazy. Herp derp Napoleon genius of all times forever in ALL UNIVERSES.

It's like, just because a movie has a cameo of a beloved celebrity (say, Morgan Freeman) doesn't necessarily mean it's the right part for Morgan Freeman, or that his being in it makes it a good movie.

It's valid criticism, and there are admittedly a few parts of the TL I don't like. (It's Jerome Bonaparte in Louisiana, btw, not Napoleon)

His son takes the name Napoleon because reasons. Read your own crappy TL. :p

I'm generally with LoE. Too many actors made up whole-cloth violates the laws of Conservation of Stuff -- that is, to make a successful NES you need to minimize the amount of background material your players have to read.

I'm generally with LoE. Too many actors made up whole-cloth violates the laws of Conservation of Stuff -- that is, to make a successful NES you need to minimize the amount of background material your players have to read.

Yarr. As "cheap" and illogical as it is to recycle OTL figures largely intact, especially with PODs going back several decades before their birth, may be it still allows players to familiarize themselves with the important historical figures of an ATL universe with minimal difficulty. It is especially convenient because it saves time from players inventing parallel figures that are really just Like Certain People I Could Name. :p

I really hope this was delivered ironically or I'm losing my ability to read your sense of humor. :p

On that note, are people really reluctant to have to slog through really large amounts of background material for NESes?

Because I've got something I've been working on in the very, very long term, and its going to have about 1000 years of background...

Top Bottom