New NESes, ideas, development, etc

A lot of things about the Elves...

Spoiler :
About the Creation, according to the belief of the Elves

In the beginning there was nothing. Then came Galladan, Lord of the Universe, and everything was done by him. Galladan first created the earth, and then he shaped it so it became beautiful. He created mountains, hills, hollows and caves. But he saw that was not enough, because the land was barren, colorless and lifeless. So he created the grass, trees, shrubs and all vegetation. He also created the rivers and seas, to quench the thirst of the plants.

He also created the Light, which gave great beauty to the world. But it was not enough, so he created the animals of all kinds. Thus, he has populated the seas, rivers, prairies and forests. However, something was missing, something really beautiful, something worthy of being called a masterpiece. Then he engaged on his new project, but this took a long time to become reality.

His first attempt resulted in total disaster, and nasty creatures such as orcs, trolls and giants, emerged. On his second attempt, he originated the dwarfs, but these were by far too ugly and gross. On the fourth attempt, got a better result, creating humans, but something was still missing to achieve perfection.
Then finally, on his fifth attempt, the elves were born, his final work. They were beautiful, tall and graceful. After the birth of the elves, he knew that his work was done, and withdrew to the far reaches of the universe, leaving his creation in the hands of his two sons, Atalladan and Falladan.

Atalladan began to develop a great love for life on the surface world, especially loving the elves, the masterpiece of his father. However, most of his attention went to the Light, because it sustained the life in the world. Therefore, he came to be known as the Lord of Light.

However, Falladan was much different. He was jealous of the love that his brother received from his father, and so hated him. He also hated everything that his brother loved, starting to hate the Light and the elves. Therefore he chose to give his attention to the underworld, where he could observe the creatures of darkness that dwelt there, and also the various metals and gems hidden in the depths of the earth. He became known as the Lord of Darkness, and became feared by the elves.

Therefore, they both entered into an agreement by dividing the creation of their father among them: Atalladan would stay with the surface world, and Falladan would stay with the Underworld.

Under the protection of the Lord of Light, the elves prospered. They maintained a nomadic lifestyle, but they followed a leader, this one taking the title of king. They preferred to roam the prairies, because they come to appreciate the Light.

About the Fall and the Curse, or the Tale of Caladhros and Nywin.

A young elven king always had an adventurous and ambitious flame in the heart. Before ascending to the throne, after the early death of his father, he had wandered a lot throughout the world. His name was Caladhros, and he was a proud and beautiful elf, even among his people.

On one occasion, while he was wandering in the fields, he saw what he thought to be the most beautiful lady of his people, and in fact was the most beautiful elf who had walked the earth. Nywin was her name, and the two fell in love.

However, Caladhros wanted to prove to Nywin the love he felt for her, and demanded she propose him a challenge. She refused, stating that their love did not require proofs. But he insisted so much that she ended up yielding. This was the challenge she has proposed to her beloved:

- "Climb the highest mountain of this land!"

But he objected, arguing that this challenge was too easy. Nywin reflected, and proposed a new challenge, being convinced that Caladhros would accept:

- "Bring me the head of the most terrible creature you find!"

Again he objected, saying it was not hard enough. Angry, Nywin said in a mocking tone:

- "Then, O brave king, go up to the sky and bring me a bit of the Light!"

Without thinking, Nywin uttered words that would change the world forever. Before she could go back, Caladhros quickly accepted the challenge, which he thought worthy:

- "And so will I! I will ascend up to the sky and bring you a bit of the Light! I, Caladhros, King of the Elves, swear you'll get what you asked for, or I'll die trying. "

Realizing what she had just done, she begged him to forget that idea, that she had not spoken seriously. But he said that an Elf King does not go back with an oath, to which she replied that this does not apply to oaths that are impossible to fulfill. At this, he laughed.

- "But of course it is possible! You forget that I am a king? Our people are strong and resourceful, and we will build a tower to reach the sky, and then I'll get a bit of the Light."

Nywin yet tried to dissuade him from what she considered to be a insanely bold idea, but Caladhros proved resolute in his decision, and the construction of the tower began.

The years passed, and the elves proved proficient in the art of building. The tower became increasingly high, and would soon exceed the height of the clouds. The building was magnificent: The base of the tower, for being the widest part, constituted the main part of the elven city (as the elves started to live in the tower), and there were stores, shops and markets.

At higher levels stood the residences, entertainment houses (poetry being preferred), schools of engineering and architecture and the houses of healing. At the top of the tower were the workers, who through great elven discoveries in the field of engineering and architecture, were building the tallest tower ever.

Most of the Great Tower (as it became known) was made of marble, the favorite building material to the elves. They extracted the rock in large quarries built around the tower, and through ingenious mechanisms, such as cranes, they brought the rocks to the top.

Just like the Tower, Caladhro's family also grew. He had three children with Nywin: Jadhros, Saen and Lawen. They all grew up to be haughty princes.

The people loved their king, but not only because he has provided to them wealth and knowledge as they never had before, or vast and beautiful halls under their magnificent Tower, but they loved him because he gave his people a purpose, a greater objective to follow, and this objective was to get to the sky and the Light.

However, over time, such greatness and ambition aroused arrogance in many elves, mainly in the king. This fact will be shown in what happened next.

Many years passed, and everything was going perfectly well until one day, as he inspected the newly constructed floors on the top of the tower, Caladhros heard a deep, commanding voice, but beautiful and friendly:

- "Caladhros, King of the Elves, you've gone too far with it. Take my advice: Stop building your Tower, it is already sufficiently high and magnificent, and your people can live happily in it for all eternity. That's not enough for you? And why are you not content to just observe the beauty of the Light, instead of wanting to take it for yourself? For I warn you, I will not allow any mortal to take possession of it. Listen to the words of the Lord of Light, for I love you and your people, and I would prefer not to intervene by force. "

But Caladhros was not the only one to hear the words of the Lord of Light, for there stood Eledaen, the most skilled of all the elves in the art of building, and close friend of Nywin. Once finished the speaking, and both were alone, Eledaen spoke to his king:

- "I'm sure Your Majesty will immediately stop the construction of the Tower, is not it?"

- "Stop? Why would I do that? I did not come this far to give up now. If you really paid attention to his words, you may have noticed that he fears us. He fears that we get to sky and fears that we take his power! "

Horrified, Eledaen replied:

- "Are you crazy? He is the Lord of Light, our protector! And why would anyone want to 'steal' his power, if that is possible? "

- "You're a fool, Eledaen. We will continue to build the Tower, with or without you! "

Desolated, seeing that his king would lead his people to the disgrace, Eledaen decided to act on his own. He tried to warn the public about the Lord of the Light warning, but few listened to him. He realized that many were acting just like the king, blinded by their arrogance. He gathered his supporters and, before they left the city, he came to talk to Nywin, knowing that her spirit was still pure:

- "My friend, your husband will drag our nation to destruction. I'm leaving. If you agree with me, I ask you to come. It will be like a new beginning. "

- "I understand your reasons and I agree with you, but I shall not leave my husband and my children, my fate is tied to theirs. But I believe the Lord of Light will be merciful, and will do no harm to our people. "

So Eledaen and Nywin parted from each other, and they never met again.

Years passed, and the Great Tower surpassed the clouds. Meanwhile, the people of Eledaen prospered slowly, and began to build a small but beautiful city.

In his great throne room, Caladhros crowned himself King of the Sky, and his people cheered. The next day after the celebrations, came the destruction. Came the grief. Came the death.

The strongest earthquake the world has ever seen hit the foundations of the Tower. The more fragile, higher levels, collapsed, bombarding the lower floors with a deadly rain of marble. Most of the Tower was destroyed, and the rest severely damaged. Many were the elves who died on this day, standing between them Nywin and her children.

It is said that on this day Caladhros climbed to the highest point that remained of the tower (which, despite having been ruined, it was still incredibly high) and yelled:

- "Curse you, Lord of the Light! You denied me the fulfillment of my promise, killed my beloved children and the most beautiful elf who ever walked this earth, and destroyed my people! I will have my revenge! "

Then the king unsheathed his famous sword, Skyscraper, and in his bitterness he challenged the Lord of Light to a duel. However, his voice, like a thunder, said:

- "How dare you to challenge me? My patience is over. But know, it was you who brought destruction to your people! Because of your actions, that your people made arrogant, I curse you all! From now on, until the world ceases to exist, I will remove from the sky your coveted Light, so no one else will covet it. I'll replace it with a mere fireball, which rises upwards to the sky once every 24 hours, not staying there longer than 12 hours. However, I will not forsake you all in complete darkness. During the absence of the Sun, will rise up to the sky the Moon and the Stars, which are nothing but tiny fragments of the Light of yore. They will remember the golden days of the past, and the consequences of arrogance and ambition. Thus, also the Lord of Darkness will never take control of the surface world, which is my territory. And, in order not repeat all this tragedy, no one will covet the Sun as it will blind anyone who tries to look at it. "

Part of the survivors had realized their mistakes and the madness that had overtaken their king, and joined the people of Eledaen. But another part shared with the king the hatred to the Lord of Light, because some have also lost loved ones that they desire to avenge, others for having lost their vast wealth and some by having their pride wounded.

These joined the king and departed, going to dwell underground because somehow they loved the Light yore and hated its poor substitute. However, they liked of the Moon and the Stars, as they were a comforting reminder of bygone days, days when they were living at their sumptuous halls, when all lesser beings had to look up if they wanted to admire the grandeur of their former Kingdom of the Great Tower. Their habits earned them the name of Night Elves.

So, according to legend, ended up the Golden Years of the elves.

So ended up the Light as we knew, and were born the Sun, the Moon and the Stars.

So, this was the beginning and the fall of the Kingdom of the Great Tower and the Kingdom of the Sky.

About the Great Earthquake​

The earthquake that destroyed the Great Tower has mysterious origins. While the Night Elves say with certainty that it was the Lord of Light who caused it, many elves suspect that was caused by the Lord of Darkness, because he who hated his brother as much as the Elves, knew he loved them. So he destroyed the tower aiming to turn them against his brother, simply for the pleasure of seeing his brother having to punish those who loved and see the elves turning against one who always loved them.

After the Fall​

As said, the people of the elves split in two:

The People of Eledaen: They worship the Lord of Light, and fear the Lord of Darkness. Because of this they are called 'Elves of the Light'. They accepted the curse with great sadness, but learned to love the Sun, the Moon and the Stars, and created aversion to darkness.

The Night Elves: They hate the Lord of Light and all those who serve him, so they began to worship the Lord of Darkness. They also hate the sun, because for them no light, but the Light of yore (before the Curse) deserves to be loved. Consequently, they love the moon and the stars, because these are fragments of the original light, and they love to go out to roam at night. Due to the habit of avoiding the sun, they began to live underground, and their skin became paler.

About Caladhros​

After the fall, he led the Night Elves to one of the old quarries, and there they settled. Then he gave the leadership of his people to another elf, and went alone to the depths of the earth. Legend has it, that there he met the Lord of the Darkness, and he granted to Caladhros magical powers, including the ability to live more than the other members of his people. After becoming a Mage of the Darkness, he withdraws into isolation, but always helping the Night Elves when they needed.

About the Ruins of the Great Tower​

Being a strong reminder of sadness and heartbreak for all elves, the place was abandoned, and they avoid approaching the ruined but still magnificent tower. Since the Fall it is surrounded by hills of marble that collapsed from above, so access is difficult. There are areas that remained relatively intact, but these are few and often access to them is blocked. Looters have plundered many treasures of the tower, but it is not uncommon to find bowls of gold adorned with gems or jewels in the wreckage.

The base of the tower, which was the main part of the city, is buried amidst the marble, but you can access it through the upper levels. Once inside the large halls, it is not hard to get lost. Statues of haughty elves are find everywhere, including the then King Caladhros and his deceased wife, Nywin. However, the only inhabitants of the place are the wildlife and the buried bodies, since no one wants to live in the midst of such gloom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I know there may be translation errors, but as I do not have a good English it is already expected. Please tell me any errors so I can fix them.

My critique for both Ophorian and Golden1Knight is largely the same. You both have very good bases from which to develop your cultures but I want to avoid the usual fantasy cliches. You can have treehugger wood elves and even "evil" night elves, but so long as they are not Always Chaotic Evil/Always Lawful Good. These cultures should have a degree of nuance to them beyond just "we love nature" or "we enjoy killing people" and "because the plot says so." I'd like to see someone do wood elves of some kind, but with self-awareness. The same goes for the "light elves" and "night elves". The Tower of Babel/Oath of Feanor aspect of Golden1Knight's background lends itself to a great deal of cultural angst that I'd like to see explored.

Initially I was uncomfortable with the "night elves," but so long as they are not evil for the sake of being evil, I'm excited. The same goes with light elves and Ophorian's wood elves, who should have legitimate justification for being the way they are, instead of "fantasy culture is fantastic." This might seem like a kind of boring, broken record-esque refrain, but I want to create a clear dividing line between "fantasy cultures behaving realistically" and "fantasy cultures behaving like unfettered, alien societies for no reason."

That said, these have some of the better mythical elements so far. :goodjob:

@ Loe how about my story, what would you think of a culture based off of that general idea? I tried to include the setting. They would basically be Dwarves that only mine underground, but do everything else on the surface. It would be an insanely honour driven society, to the point of bushido code at some aspects, and would be a culture that believed that they brought the end to their own gods(except two), and started the end due to it.

I do not think I've seen this anywhere else though. The idea is to break out of most of the norms you would suspect of a fantasy race of Dwarves.

BTW LoE, would you mind if for your NES I try something "Meta"? Basically, a civilisation ruled by an insane immortal wizard who sees the world as an NES? For in-story purposes he is of course insane and he will be by no means the only aspect (i.e. I'll make the entire civilizational culture then have him come to power over it) but I think he could be amusing.

I think LoE wanted the people running the civilization to be mortals.

I think LoE wanted the people running the civilization to be mortals.

If so, can I at least use this character for the early part of the game until they should realistically die of old age? I want to give this a try sometime.

yeah, Neverwonagame, what we're playing in the early turns are more in line with the Indo-europeans, or even the celts than anything like a real nation. We're playing progenitor cultures for later civilizations.

I'd want to start making a culture now, but things are just too confusing as the documents are spread out. Incidentally, unless we plan to all repost our stories there will be a lot of info unavaliable in the actual game.

@Neverwonagame:
We are simply making the cultures here, that would get transferred over to the thread when it gets made.

My point was that sounds like a lot of work. I'm going to wait for the main thread and post all my stuff for a culture there then.

The Dwerim

Alike and unlike to Dwarves. The Dwerim live deep beneath the earth, down, swallowed whole by cold stone and leagues of darkness. They have fled from their Dwarven kin, who name them the petty folk, and whose loathing lingers upon them to this day. They are not a numerous people, and live in scattered houses and some few Mansions.

Prideful and acquisitive, but melancholic all the same - the Dwerim are apt to hide away behind the gates of their Mansions unless tempted by gleaming gems, or bound by chains of honour. The Dwerim have grown thin and pale in the depths, though they are near as strong as any Dwarf. Their flesh is milky, and flushes easily. Their hair and beards are deepest black, or less often fiery red, fading to silver or gold in old age. They are staunch and implacable warriors, but rarely bold or courageous. Wielding sword and axe, and wearing masqued helms and dull coats of mail, the Dwerim fight in good order and close formation, and will strive sorrowfully and to their deaths to defend their homes.

The Dwerim hold not to any god, but pray before the graven tombs of their honoured dead, beseeching them for wisdom and guidance.

Of the Breach of Rhaud, and the Sundering of Dwarves and Dwerim

Among the first cities of the Dwarves was Gleaming Rhaud. Slowly it grew, and became a great and mighty place. Its Hundred Halls were gilded and lit, and Rhaud thrived as a centre of nascent Dwarven craft. The smiths of Rhaud were without peer, and their Masters sought only the brightest students. It was so that the greatest smith yet to grace the world with Dwarven craft was born - Andacer. With a mind sharper and hands cleverer than any other, his creations awed and delighted in the beauty of their form and function. Though his rivals struggled to best him, none brought so much pride and glory to his clan as did Andacer to the Mhaldúlne. But in time his triumph brought only ennui, and Andacer grew tired of Rhaud, and quit the Hundred Halls for places unknown. For his absence, Rhaud was the poorer, and the city did not seem quite so bright as it did before.

Though the city did not forget its favoured son, it perhaps grew comfortable in his absence. But all things must pass. Forty years and more, and Andacer at last returned. The Mhaldúlne rejoiced, and Rhaud groaned under the weight of celebration. Andacer brought with him many treasures, and the people marveled at his ingenuity and skill. But Andacer did not rejoice with them, for he was troubled and restless. For a year and a day he secreted himself away in the lowest hall of the Mhaldûlne - to toil at what, he would not say. At last he emerged, bearing in his hand a small stone, aglow with inner fire. The stone pulsed with a bright and clear light, though its depths swirled ablaze with shadowed reds. It was named the Caerine, and all those who looked upon it were enamoured of its beauty, and held enthralled until it was parted from their gaze. The thanes and smiths of the Mhaldûlne were said to huddle about this pearl as if for warmth - presided over by Andacer, a fey smile on his lips. The clan was seized by fever, delving ever deeper beneath. Their forges lit without pause, churning out suits of mail and cruel axes beyond reason.

The thanes and lords of Rhaud grew troubled by the isolation of the Mhaldûlne, and resolved that the Caerine be sealed away. The thanesmen came and stood before Andacer, and they demanded of him his pearl. But he only smiled. The room grew cold while the light of the pearl pulsed, and the thanesmen were filled with dread. "And who are you to speak so to me? To demand my prize?" Andacer said. And the Mhaldûlne about him turned their gazes upon the thanesmen, and laid hands upon the hafts of their axes. The thanesmen made to leave, but found the doors behind them barred and locked. It was then that the Mhaldûlne fell upon them, and Rhaud was soiled with Dwarven blood. In a fury, the Mhaldûlne boiled out from their hall, intent to punish those who would steal from them, and there was murder and strife in Rhaud.

Though the Mhaldûlne were possessed by unnatural rage, the numbers arrayed against them were too great. Slowly and grindingly, the Dwarves of the pearl were pushed back. Andacer would not give up the fight, and the Mhaldûlne would not give up the gates, and so they were forced. Slaughter was visited upon that house, and those few who then remained fled into their deepest tunnels. The thanes found Andacer in the lowest hall, a wretched thing, huddled about his pearl. They slew him, and looked upon the Caerine with disgust, and resolved to destroy it. Chierne took up his hammer, and delivered a mighty blow upon it. It cracked, and sparked, and threw off heat. The thanes backed slowly away, but Chierne again took up his hammer, and shattered the pearl with a roar. And so Rhaud was undone, and Andacer given his revenge. A great shadow coiled about the room, and its shrouded heart glowed dully with flame. Chierne stood before it, and bade his thanes to flee. The sounds of struggle pursued them as they ran, and there was a roar as of a furnace opened, and then silence. They sat, gripped with fear, awaiting their Lord. But it was the shadow that emerged from the keep. And there was slaughter to humble that before, and blood ran from the halls and through the streets, and there were bodies at every door, and those who did not flee were never seen nor heard again. And thus was the fall of Gleaming Rhaud of the Hundred Halls, and the sundering of Dwarves and Dwerim.

Of Kaltë and Chierne​

The Hundred Halls of Rhaud were soiled by blood, and the bodies of many Dwarves lay sprawled all about, hewn by axe and sword. Evil here did its gruesome work, and brother set himself upon brother. By Andacer's will the Mhaldûlne had come out from their Hall. Girded for war, they were dressed in their mail and bore cruel axes, long swords and heavy shields. There was a madness in their eyes, and the people of Rhaud fled before them. But in ancient days it was that Rhaud was among the greatest cities under the ground, and though the host of the Mhaldûlne was fearsome, they could not overcome all those who were then against them. For many days they fought in the streets and in the halls, and crimes terrible and grave were there done, and the battle was more bitter and hateful than any Dwarvenkind had yet known, and no quarter was given on either side.

But at last the Mhaldûlne were pushed back, and their lines were broken, and they were pulled down in the streets as they ran, and their places of strength were overthrown. Chierne had gathered all the thanes and Lords of Rhaud, and in turn they had gathered all those sworn to them in arms, and they marched upon the Hall of the Mhaldûlne, and their anger was cold and righteous. The gate was barred against them, and the Mhaldûlne would not give it up. Chierne then stood before his host, and he called upon Kaltë to come forth: "Lord of the Mhaldûlne, King in the Deep, come forth from your hall and answer for the wickedness your folk have wrought! I named you friend and brother, and if ever you in turn named me so in truth, then come forth! If any shred of dignity is left to you, come forth! I challenge you, Kaltë. Before our Ancestors and before the gathered warriors of Gleaming Rhaud I challenge you! So come forth!"

For many long moments there was silence. But then the gate began to squeal as it slowly opened, as if to protest what it was to reveal. And from the shadows and through the narrow gap there made came Kaltë, and behind him the gate was closed with a boom. He wore the King's Mail, shining brightly, but on his head was a helm tall crested and dark, and his eyes were hidden in its depths. In his hand was the blade Bitterflame, and the sussurus of its muttering echoed from every corner, and as he drew closer it began to moan, and then to wail, and then it was aflame. The host of the thanes drew back, for Kaltë then seemed terrible to look upon, and they were all of them afraid. Chierne met Kaltë upon the field, and though he was filled with sorrow there was no fear in him. His coat of plates was scarred and marked and its fine blue lacquer had been all but chipped away, for he had been always at the fore of the fighting. He carried the Bleakhammer, forged by the hand of Galand, and hoarfrost grew upon the ground where he walked, and his breath smoked in the air. Each drew near the other, and for a single moment only was there a pause as they met. Kaltë struck out with a quick thrust, and Bitterflame skittered along Chierne's armour and screamed as it gouged a great rent. Chierne lept back, and delivered a fearsome blow to Kaltë upon his helm, and it was said that the sound of it could be heard from one end of Rhaud to the other. If that helm were any other the fight would then have ended, and Kaltë would have lain dead upon the ground. But it was the Eboncrown.

In the bowels of the earth had Andacer found a strange metal, strong and dark. It seemed to drink of light, and ever did it hunger for more. And so year after year Andacer fed to it all the light that he could find, and by this bargain did it consent to suffer Andacer's hand. From it the Eboncrown was forged, and he gave it to Kaltë who was his father.

In this his son's work served him well, for Kaltë yet stood, though blood ran from his mouth and down his beard. He laughed then, and it was a wicked laugh, and he struck again at Chierne. It was that they fought one against the other for an hour, and then another. The fight was long and terrible, and both bled from many wounds ere it ended. At last it was that Chierne's great coat of plates hung in tatters, and Kaltë's breath was ragged for the King's Mail had not availed him, and his chest had been caved by Bleakhammer's barest touch. It was then that Bitterflame he dropped to the ground, and the Eboncrown he threw away, and it seemed that at last his madness had departed. Kaltë then fell to his knees, and then upon the ground, and Chierne came forward and cradled him upon his lap. They spoke then, but it was only Chierne who could hear the words of his friend, and none know what passed between them. And so passed Kaltë, who was King in the Deep, who was the Lord of the Mhaldûlne, and who was father to Andacer, Nír and Lanne.

@LoE, The Night Elves are not evil, they just do not like of the sun, and do not have good relations with the people of Eledaen (for cultural reasons). I avoided the term "Dark Elves" precisely to avoid this mistake. They are only too proud and hate the day, and this is nothing that makes them necessarily evil. :D

The same goes for the Elves of Light, they only get that name due to the fact they only serve the Lord of Light (light here does not equal goodness but mean exactly "light")

Ie, the Elves of Light eat meat, fell trees and have problems like crime and greed, as well as the Night Elves, and these also dance, recite poems and play of catch-up as children.

@TMG, :love:squeeee:love:
@Golden1Knight, that's great. I was hoping you were going for that dynamic. I'm interested! Do night elves insist upon living underground in order to avoid the forsaken light as much as possible?

@LoE, during the day, they rarely leave their underground cities, unless they have strong reasons to do so. Therefore they sleep during the day. However, at night they come out to the surface, taking the opportunity to cultivate their fields, hunt, or just walk in the moonlight, something they love to do.

This nightlife have some advantages. For example, during a war, their opponents would face some difficulties, such as being under attack during the night, need to find their underground forts during the day. In both cases, the elves would be fighting in a favorable environment (dark places) and their enemies would be at a disadvantage (lack of light, caught by surprise when they should be sleeping ...)

LoE, suggest we start the thread merely for the purposes of backstory posting. This will save a lot of cut-and-paste work later. Meanwhile, you can update the rules on the front page.

Thread doesn't go up until the map's up. So sayeth we all. :p

Top Bottom