New Off Topic Forum Moderator

6th is Epiphany and when Decorations should be taken down...

but its not time yet!!!

Hope they work out for you :)
TBH, my best Xmas gift this year is a great pair of Lowa shoes.
I think you'll do a great job Shane. Congrats and please keep up the good work.
:wavey: welcome to the team :band:
Thanks. I shall endeavor to persevere. Tx guys. :)
Since you ask, I will say left of center. And I base that mainly given the fact that you and I disagree on just about everything and see eye to eye on very little.
Maybe I'm very far right and you're just upside down? ;)

I find truth in the notion that we have much more in-common than un-common.
Sure your're an individual. And you may even have some individual conservative-ish opinions, but overall I would still define you as a lib. Just as overall most would define me as a conservative.
We all are. But being individual we have beliefs and opinions that still show others what political leanings we espouse. You have been posting here long enough to give us all a pretty good picture of those beliefs. No surprises there.
I guess my point is that since I don't go around labeling myself as thus-and-so and I definitely don't think in terms of "as a thus-and-so I should see things this way" (which it seems a lot of people do here, or so they represent themselves). Thus, I hope to be a bit freer in my thinking.
But again, good luck with it. Hope your able to fit it into your busy schedule with kids and work and all. :)
Thanks. Yes, I fully expect to disappear for stretches at a time, esp. if I can pick up a class this Spring. Plus, I'm coaching two Little League teams, which will start in March sometime.

Yes, posters especially. I'd wager that you're going to judge my performance moreso based on whatever preconceived notion you have of me, rather than any how I actually behave.

But, que se ra.

My goal is to do my best in a manner that supports the purpose of CFC. We'll see how it goes.

Actually, no. I don't judge moderators based on their personal opinions. There are mods I disagree with on... everything, but I still think they are good at moderating...

Congrats .Shane.! Hopefully you will be able to balance these new duties and still keep up your regular posting.

The fun thing is, virtually all of us moderators have been accused of being virtually everywhere on the political spectrum. Sometimes both right and left, on the same day. In the same thread! :lol:

A good indication that your actions are not politically biased. If you stand in the middle of the road, you will get hit by traffic coming from both directions.

That said, there is also passive bias, if you are leaning one way, you may think an extreme proposition by the other side to be actually extreme enough to infract. This was what I was talking about. Its not likely that a perfectly reasonable and legal post will be infracted because of its bias, but a borderline post might.

Mods don’t infract opinions. They do infract the way posters go about expressing them.

A political bias would be important if they infracted the former. Not so much for the latter.

Mods don’t infract opinions. They do infract the way posters go about expressing them.

A political bias would be important if they infracted the former. Not so much for the latter.

They ABSOLUTELY infract opinions (And this is OK, do we really want someone saying on here "All the black people should be slaves?")

However, the problem comes in when people quibble about, "Does X opinion break rule Y?" Or even more subjective "Does X opinion break Z interpretation of the rules we've been using for as long as anyone can remember?"

I could give examples, but I'd probably be told to stop being so specific.

><

They infract opinions which are ILLEGAL, not simply ones they do not agree with...

><

They infract opinions which are ILLEGAL, not simply ones they do not agree with...
Actually, we infract opinions that are illegal to post, not opinions that people keep in their own minds. We don't ever say "you may not think whatever thoughts you want."

We do say that there are some thoughts you may not post, which is not the same as merely keeping those thoughts to yourself.

Isn't racism illegal? Or does it fall into the grey area of "freedom of speech". Either way, one of the forum rules is that your FoS doesn't count here! :goodjob:

Or racist/hateful/etc... but yes, the gist of this is correct.

I can't think of any opinions that are illegal. ;)

Well, an opinion can hardly be illegal, but stating certain opinions can be illegal in certain places where we have regular posters.

In the US however, there really aren't any.

Actually, we infract opinions that are illegal to post, not opinions that people keep in their own minds. We don't ever say "you may not think whatever thoughts you want."

Obviously...

Isn't racism illegal? Or does it fall into the grey area of "freedom of speech". Either way, one of the forum rules is that your FoS doesn't count here! :goodjob:

Racism is legal (IRL, at least in the US.)

However, it still isn't needed here. Taking away someone's posting privileges is a far cry from fining/imprisoning them.

Welcome Shane to the endless bickering about moderator bias, be well assured that while it has ended in this thread, the fun has just begun! :goodjob:

I love that the thread welcoming a new moderator had to be moderated. :lol:

Congrats Shane, you sellout. They do say bad things happen to the nicest people ;)

I would just like to say that this has been going very well so far

disappointing but i have hopes for shane

Top Bottom