New PBEM adaptation of TGW-Div 1.6: Playtesting!

Tigranes

Armenian
Game is over! Centrals (Moff Jerjerrod) won a bloody war of attrition!

Playtesters

Moff-Jerjerrod -- Austria-Hungry, Germany, Turkey-Bulgaria
Cyc -- Russia, France
Tigranes -- Britain, Italy
AI -- Neutrals

I am happy to announce that advanced PBEM adaptation for the original TGW Div 1.6 by Rocoteh is finally ready. Current game is a playtesting effort, aiming to check the modified BIQ file only. No changes have been made (yet) to the other files or folders. All credits belong to the original designer(s). Our goal is just to test some new ideas implemented while adapting original Single Player game to the PBEM format and then present them to Rocoteh and the community.

New features include:

1. Neutral AI which is "Neutral" for historically Neutral Countries and fights to the end with Centrals for Countries historically engaged against Centrals. Romanian cities produce Romanian infantry, Arabia produce Guerrillas, etc.

2. Full experience of Home Front and dependency on War Materials-- shortages(pollution) only eliminated by War Materials (new flag unit, produced overseas). Techs represent not only the Techs, but also a time progress in War, the further you go the harder it gets to keep up with the needs of War.

3. Battle of Atlantic's with Ocean populated by Transports. Each sunk transport converts the shield value of that unit to the victory points, for example if you sink 90 shield worth Transport you get 90 points. One only can detect Submarines and Mines with Convoys (new unit, available late in game)

4. New naval flag unit Survivors -- each time sinking a ship you have a chance to "enslave" survivors, which can be rescued for 1K gold and 1K victory points (new Victory Point limit is 400 K), or can add 1 population pint to your city, if they get there themselves, without sinking in Sea or ocean.

5. Russian Revolution wonder, spawning Revolutionaries (Nukes) available to Germany or Neutrals in Switzerland, after one of them get sto the "1917" Tech (former "American War Entry").

6. Agent units, produced every 10 turns, capable to spy, sabotage and capture War Materials even from cities!

7. Flavor units SMS Seeadler, Mata Hari and Lawrence of Arabia.

8. Nicely working redesigned REAL Counterbaterry Artillery Unit, carefully balanced and effective.

9. Careful re-balance of the entire scenario to insure that humans will have balanced and historical (more or less) PBEM experience.

10. And more!

Reserved

Reserved

Reserved

Reserved

Original description:

It is August 5th, 1914. The First World War has just begun after the assasination of Franz Ferdinand in June by a Serbian terrorist. Austria sought to punish the Serbians for the murder, but earned the ire of Russia at the same time. Austria then took refuge in the message that Germany had given them their full support. At this time France had given the Russians their support.

Russian mobilization followed, which recieved an ultimatum from the Germans: Terminate the mobilization or recieve a declaration of war. No reply was given, and on the 1st of August, Germany declared war. 2 days later, Germany declared war on France as well as they were Russia's chief ally. The Germans then decided to unleash their war plan: The Schlieffen Plan. The plan called for an offensive against france through Beligium to hit the French in the north and to defeat the french army in 40 days.

Germany asked the Belgians to give them free passage, but they didnt. This brought Belgium into the conflict, which in turn also brought in the British Empire when Germany refused to withdraw from Belgium at midnight of August 5th 1914.

Italy skips the first week, and just sets up production so far. Urgent apeal is sent to France for Rubber and Oil, to produce Infantry and Submarines. Military Headquater Small Wonder (the only building to produce veteran units and Agents (spyes)) requires 3 Corps, but Italy has only 2 ATM. Rome is set to produce the third Corp. Meanwhile Italian diplomats fail to steal any tech from Russia, wasting 1.2K gold. Similar attempt in regard of French brings much needed Barbed Wire tech. No gold has left as a result. British consul gets a telegram with one short word only: Moneta!

Week 30, 1914

Ottoman Empire

Ottomans skip this weeks turn as empire wide mobilization has begun.

Austro-Hungary

Fighting erupts around Tarnesvar as Serbia and Austria-Hungary begin mobilization. In the fighting around the outskirts Austria loses 1 Rifle A and kills two Neutral Garrisons and one Trench Artillery manning the border.

Germany

War on the Western Front begins immediately with fierce fighting taking place outside of Nancy. French border troops take heavy loses. 4xFrench A, 2xFrench R, and 1 each of Light artillery and field artillery are lost. Germany loses 1xCavalry. After the breakthrough is completed German forces begin the assault against Nancy.

In this fighting German loses 1xRifle A and kills 4xFrench A and 1xHMG. The town is not taken but fighting continues until next week.

4xFrench A, 2xFrench R, and 1 each of Light artillery and field artillery are lost. Germany loses 1xCavalry. After the breakthrough is completed German forces begin the assault against Nancy.

Bloody start! :crazyeye:
There is no "field artillery" unit any more. There used to be one, with bombard 10 and light artillery with bombard 12, and for some strange reason you descover weaker gun AFTER you have discovered the light. There is not much difference amoung those 2 guns. Instead light is left as it is now, but field artillery replaced by "Trench Artillery", a very unique fighting unit, widely used in WW1. It has the same bombard (10) that field artillery but much tougher defence. It used TOW flics at this stage. This way we introduce a new distinctly different unit and also describe the historical reality:

Trench Artillery

Ah, I didn't double check the name of the artillery that I killed and assumed it was the field artillery. I'll check closely next time. ;)

Btw that is a nice website for information about WW1. Thanks! I've bookmarked it.

Vat?!?!? Austrian and Prussian troops have already swept across the borders of Mother Russia?" Nic pours himself another vodka. "This is not good." He then sends heavily armed troops to greet this intruders. "We have enough trouble HERE, we don't have tobe told our scare tactics don't work in other countries."

When the best Russia had to offer reached the Prussian border, defensive lines were drawn up. No shots were fired, although there was distant rumbling in the evening sky. Rumor was the Russian Navy had bombarded one of the North German cities.

Word had spread through France like wildfire that Nancy was under attack. Unattached units and those in excess were sent to the area to reinforce. The Nancy locals were most pleased to see the artillery roll into town. The continual bombardment to the East wounded many of the German R Infantry, catching them off guard. Then French cavalry units flanks the same R Inf. doing more damage and returning back across the French lines. 155mm Arties were brought up and hit a second R Inf unit twice for casualties. 1 of the 3 Arties also hit an A Inf. unit. Then the battle became deadly. 3 Armored Cars, 2 Cavalry units, and a Counter Battery Artillery Unit were all lost red-lining the now "Elite" R Infantry. We French even lost a Trench Artillery unit, but a final charge by a brave Cav unit finally took out the R Infantry. Unfortunately they are still stranded in enemy territory. We are monitoring them closely.

gps to Tigranes

Question -

I have Ports (Harbors) in my Mediterrainian Cities. I also have the required technology to transport Luxuries across the deep waters, but can not do so. We French want the Incense from the North African Coast as much as we want to sell our luxuries to them. Why are we unable to make the trade?

Hi Cyc,

Trade was disable to help the AI process the game faster. You can still trade items as long as your trade partner is connected to you by land, however all over the water and air trade is disabled.

however all over the water and air trade is disabled.

:( What's the purpose of my colonies in North Africa? A rhetorical question...

I think I'd rather wait for the game to load. Life in Europe is hard enough without the self denial of my own luxs.It's bad enough I have to kill 20,000 men a day....

Generals,
Please introduce yourself to the Counterbattery Artillery. It is a uniquely designed unit capable to do what the name says it does: destroy enemy artillery, even though lots of defenders sit on the same tile.

1. Doublecheck that the tile has MORE THAN 1 enemy Artillery Unit on it. In case of cities you can only guess or investigate. Note the name for your victim.

2. Attack the tile. Pick your victim from the list. Results may vary. All the guns, except for Trench Artillery have defense 1. Trench (Fortress) adds 50% to that with Barbed Wire (Barricade) adding another 50%, for the total 2 defense, not counting the terrain bonus. So we have attack 3 against defense 2, for example.

I hope this adds some very unique historical flavor and gameplay experience :)

And of course Counterbattery Artillery won't be a good weapon against anything else with attack 3, while being fairly expensive.

Britain

British War cabinet signs RoP with Neutral goverements, Requests also sent to Russia and France, and Italy. Russia and Italy helped with British money.

British Atlantic fleet off Hiblartar steams to search for a German CL Karlsruhe operating Wester Atlantics.

BEF starts to advance toward Belgian border.

Artillery destroy rails near Gaza and North from Kuwayt city.

Lawrence of Arabia leaves Kuwayt City and is looking for some angry arab rebels, to send them against Turkey.

Italy

France failed to send any rubber or oil to Italiy! That is very sad, but why? Did they forget? We can't build Infantry, when we have no rabber for the boots! Maybe next turn, please, please, please?

Italian trooops crossing the Isonzo river and looking towards Triete. War Materials where sent

I was wondering what the purpose of the counterbattery gun was for, now I know. Nice touch Tigranes!

I've received my turn and will play this evening when I get home.

Moff, can you please confirm if Germany has any unintended techs from the start? The only ones intended are Zepps, War at Sea and Submarines.

I have no idea WHY some Civs get an extra tech even though I have clearly marked them not to. It's just 1 extra tech, but still annoying. War on Land Tech must cansel the effect of Peacetime Agriculture building (former Granary with the new effect to eliminate shortage, aka polution due to population). It was intended that at least for 1 tech researching period Berlin could afford not to build a Rationing Office, which makes some falks unhappy but can still eliminate the population induced shortage (polution triangle for every citizen past 12).

Bummer. Thought I was going to be able to play tonight. :(

GPS! Thanks Tigranes.

Forgot to check on the techs but will do so tomorrow. It's late and time for bed for me!

Week 31, 1914

Ottoman Empire

No news and Turkey continues to mobilize her forces.

Austria-Hungary

Nothing to report this turn other than pushing troops further into Russian territory and pillaging roads.

Germany

Counterbattery gun attempts to silence a French gun in Nancy and dies! Lone French cavalry unit caught between Metz-Nancy is destroyed by German Cavalry. Nancy bombarded by German artillery but Germany is unable to follow up bombardment with an attack.

No other action this week.

Top Bottom