New Project: Comprehensive List of World Civilizations

Excuse me if this post is too late, or bad timing, or whatever else--but could we get back to the purpose the OP was trying to get at?
I mean, personally I'd really like to see a structured list of civilizations. It could be a very useful tool, or if not that, a very nice academic exercise. The problem everyone seems to have is that "civilization" is sort of arbitrary and it's hard to pinpoint what cultures, ethnic groups, states, entities, and whatnot would fall under that category.
(And then someone starts talking about nationalism...and that gets everyone riled.)
So, what I propose, is that we all agree on some parameters for civilizations, and then we can start coming up with civilizations that fall under those parameters.
This would be a really useful project if everyone can work together on it. We obviously have some very smart and educated people here, and I'm sure with a little work we could come up with a good, fairly agreeable list.

Sound like a good idea?
:please:

This is supposedly a list of current and historical cultures which are meant to be internally relatively united but also relatively independent of each other.

I presume they tried to shy away from cultures which changed massively over time, and including both Greeks and Romans would have created a major problem with communication. It's not supposed to be a list of all the cultures that there are; it's a list of ones to use when making studies about culture in general.

Was ancient Nubia part of ancient Egypt or was it a separate nation all together? can't figure this one up

Top Bottom