New Rise and Fall mechanics beta phase

New update: animals in the birth area are killed instead of pushed out

Does anyone have issues with loading autosaves? The application crashes everytime I try to do that from a running game, but if I restart and load the save, everything works ok.

Those poor animals.. humans are literally the worst :(
I know, I felt bad writing it like that but it's the only accurate way of describing it :(

That "advanced start mode" with points should happen when you have the first city at least. Without cities, there is no chance to build anything and it is kinda pointless.
For example, with Phoenicians I want to build the first city on Cyprus, the copper island close to starting position. I move settler from galley there and it is possible to build in turn 2. In the beginning of turn 2, there is that advanced start window, which I just skip, can't do anything. It would be the same if moving the land settler anywhere else.
Maybe the advanced start mode is a reason why there isnt an initial workboat? I think there was one before.

With the addition of birth protection, it'll be much harder to build proper empires with an older civ (Rome, etc.). :(
Why?

That "advanced start mode" with points should happen when you have the first city at least. Without cities, there is no chance to build anything and it is kinda pointless.
For example, with Phoenicians I want to build the first city on Cyprus, the copper island close to starting position. I move settler from galley there and it is possible to build in turn 2. In the beginning of turn 2, there is that advanced start window, which I just skip, can't do anything. It would be the same if moving the land settler anywhere else.
Maybe the advanced start mode is a reason why there isnt an initial workboat? I think there was one before.
You should still be able to place improvements within your birth area, even without having a city founded.

Merry Christmas DOC

Hi Leoreth,
It's amazing the work you and your team are doing. I can't wait for the next release. I will defenitelly buy you guys a couple of coffees after the next update.
Thank you always! I play you game every day
Merry XMAS from Argentina

So the "Rise of Civilization" rules have a weird overlap with conquerors, if you get conquerors before the Rise of a Civilization timer is up, the new world civ will get a stack of ~25 units that have all of the in-territory advantages, making the old world civ's new stack look like a joke in comparison. This makes you want to wait until after the 'rise' timer is up, but the AI could still theoretically beat you to the punch, so it creates a very awkward waiting game. Could the 'no conquerors before 1300' rule be adjusted to take the new Rise mechanics into consideration, either putting some kind of adjustment factor for new world conquerors in or making the 'earliest conquerors date' later?

With the Aztec stack, I managed to bait them out of the "Rise of" area, but it was still able to overrun my conquerors after I took down ~15 units.

Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0109.JPG

That's a fair point. I guess it would be better in that case that nobody gets conquerors then? Because it seems unfair to prevent them for an early discoverer but still leave the opportunity for other civs that discover them later.

The other option would be to make the conqueror event cancel birth protection. I wonder if there would be any unintended side effects to that. The player would never be contacted that early for it to make a difference, and the other way around I think it's intended for the Amerindian civs to have the deck stacked against them.

I have always thought the stacks you get for conquerer events of Aztecs and especially Inca is way to big.
Its strategely favourable to ship them back to Europe and use them there if you can get them early on.
I bet that is not the intention.

I have always thought the stacks you get for conquerer events of Aztecs and especially Inca is way to big.
Its strategely favourable to ship them back to Europe and use them there if you can get them early on.
I bet that is not the intention.

That's what I do, especially if I don't even plan on conquering the Aztecs or Inca.

Me too.
One solution would be that they spawn with mercenary promotion, at least the siege-engines and knights.
Also it would be nice if there was a some kind of choice, like in trading company events:

1) Adventures: Free small stack of units.
2) Conquerors: Pay 200 :gold: War and stack of mercenaries with native units. (Like in current event)
3) Give gifts: Pay 40 :gold: Relations +1
4) Ask for tribute: Get 40 :gold: Peace treaty and relations -1

Not a major bug, but the starting text for Iran on the 600 AD start is the text from the 1700 AD start ("It is the year 1700 AD..." even though they spawn in 1500)

Been playing a Roman UHV game, going pretty smoothly so far. Some feedback:

-Advanced Start synergises well with the UP, I built a Granary, Aqueduct and Pagan Temple in Rome so that future cities can get them quickly.
-The bug where you get really huge stacks of conquerors is in effect and is especially bad for Rome, which can get those against pretty much all of its neighbors.
-Rome starts at peace with the Celts, and gets conquerors upon declaring war. Is this intended?

All in all, I think the difficulty could be cranked up a bit. Even without the conquerors bug the Advanced Start makes the infrastructure goal easier and 300 AD is a forgiving deadline for your conquests. Main difficulty is probably keeping research up despite maintenance costs and I dealt with those by popping Great Merchants in a wonder city.

-

More generally, would there be interest in more community feedback on Advanced Start strategies, adjusting the amounts of money, etc? My main games on this version were France (reasonable little amount IMHO, enough to get you a couple of Pastures/Roads - though you get weird combat odds if you're at war with Spain when you're both in Rise of Civ mode) and Russia (surprised they didn't get anything, I know Russia shouldn't grow too quickly but it's a civ with a huge territory and a need for fast development to properly defend its many cities against Barbs and Mongols).

I've also noted that medieval civs seem to get Archers instead of Crossbowmen at start, don't know if this is intended.

I've also noted that medieval civs seem to get Archers instead of Crossbowmen at start, don't know if this is intended.
Which ones?

Top Bottom