New Technology Tree Analysis

The GameInformer article (Magazine) also shows a change in railroad, there's a blue icon there. I would post a pic, but I've been advised by the staff against it for legal reasons.

Do you have a url? Providing a link is legal.

Architecture confirmed as a new tech from the 1up.com video, at about 0:11 - when the cursor hovers over Banking we see that it now leads to Architecture and Economics.

Could it maybe be between Acoustics and Scientific Theory? And what could it unlock? I would guess a renaissance faith building, but what could it be called? Has it been confirmed if you can build Cathedrals, Mosques and Pagodas normally, or only purchase them with faith with the right beliefs?

Yes, thanks. The mouseovers just before it also show that Machinery leads to Printing Press, and Chivarly leads to Banking and Printing Press.

A web indeed. Still hope there are some consequences of choices to be made.

Could it maybe be between Acoustics and Scientific Theory? And what could it unlock? I would guess a renaissance faith building, but what could it be called? Has it been confirmed if you can build Cathedrals, Mosques and Pagodas normally, or only purchase them with faith with the right beliefs?
It seems that Cathedrals etc. are purchased with Faith, but this doesn't mean they don't require a certain technology. Shrines and Temples may also be purchased with Faith, but we can see them on the tech tree. This certainly makes sense... regardless of what resource is used to purchase or construct them, Cathedrals require a significant technological proficiency.

Architecture seems like the right tech in the right place to allow Cathedral/Mosque/Pagoda.

It would also, upon reflection, seem like an obvious place to move Notre Dame or the Porcelain Tower to :)

i Really hope artillery is moved up later in the tech tree now you just go from rifleman and cannons to artillery

Olso machine guns will prety much get owned when artillery becomes dominante or is it just me

i Really hope artillery is moved up later in the tech tree now you just go from rifleman and cannons to artillery

Olso machine guns will prety much get owned when artillery becomes dominante or is it just me

I heard that artillery will be less effective against units as a whole.
Siege: Anti City
Ranged: Anti Infantry

I heard that artillery will be less effective against units as a whole.
Siege: Anti City
Ranged: Anti Infantry

Thats awesome I hope the AI knows how to handle it In vanilla enchached mod where catapults and trebuched olso don't require iron and are weak the AI jsut spams them and use them against units XD

Historically, artillery shouldn't dominate machine guns... the machine guns of WWI survived some pretty extensive bombardments well enough to stop the following infantry assaults cold. It looks like they are lowering the Ranged Strengths of some of the siege weapons to make them less dominant against other units, but probably increasing the bonuses vs. Cities to maintain their effectiveness as siege weapons.

Taking the Catapult as an example, they reduced the Ranged Strength from 11 to 8, but probably increased the bonus vs. Cities from +50% to +100% to compensate.

Though I still think that siege units will be a lot better considering their range.
A range of 1 for the gatling gun and machine gun is somewhat.. sad I guess. It makes them quite vulnerable.
Compare that with the siege units that can shoot up to 3 tiles away (range promotion). That with logistics can be a royal pain to armies.

Though I still think that siege units will be a lot better considering their range.
A range of 1 for the gatling gun and machine gun is somewhat.. sad I guess. It makes them quite vulnerable.
Compare that with the siege units that can shoot up to 3 tiles away (range promotion). That with logistics can be a royal pain to armies.
That's true, but the advantage of the gatling and machine gun is that they have high defensive melee strength, and so can be placed right on the front line, whereas artillery must be protected by infantry.

...and if you upgrade your archers, gatlings & machine guns should be able to get range and logistics promotions too.

be a proper place for Cathedrals (which were Medieval).

The "proper" place (historically) in the tree may not be the proper place for balance and gameplay. I would guess that some elements would be clustered historically but they would need to be spread out a little more.

That's true, but the advantage of the gatling and machine gun is that they have high defensive melee strength, and so can be placed right on the front line, whereas artillery must be protected by infantry.

...and if you upgrade your archers, gatlings & machine guns should be able to get range and logistics promotions too.

All great points.

I'm not sure Belief based buildings will require techs. That would rule them out as 'good' choices unless you were already at those techs.
I'm not sure they are either, but it's going to be silly if you can build Cathedrals in 800 BC. What you say about Belief choices is true, but since you get your two Follower beliefs in two distinct and separate phases, I'm not sure that's a problem.

I guess I'm just not happy about Cathedrals being purchased with Faith. Cathedrals were the pinnacle of engineering in the Middle Ages and took many, many decades to build. I mean... several of the Wonders in the game are cathedrals/mosques/etc.. Just being able to go "pop - there's a Cathedral" doesn't feel right.

Top Bottom